Red Glare XIV - Another nice hotel to stay at

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DavieRockets

Reaction score
Hey everyone,

Red Glare 14 dates have been announced for Price, MD April 12-14, 2013. Barb and I are going.

Barb and I have attended Red Glare last April and November and have stayed at the Holiday Inn Express, a nice little hotel tucked away in Kent Narrows, MD on Maryland's Eastern Shore. It's right on the water just one exit from the host hotel which is the Sleep Inn. I have been trying for 2 years to arrange for a block of rooms for Red Glare attendees to use this hotel but the hotel is always sold out or the rate is crazy.

Well this time, I was able to negotiate a block of 10 rooms for $85.99 plus tax which is only $14.00 more per night than the $71.99 at Sleep Inn host hotel. This is a special, negotiated better-than-corporate rate. I think the manager was starting to feel guilty that I've been trying so hard to get his hotel and the Red Glare event together! The normal rate by the way is $140 on weekends and $108.00 weekdays so I think $85.99 is a steal for what you get.

The block consists of 5 rooms with the 1 king size bed and 5 rooms with the 2 queen size beds, 10 rooms total. There are only 3 that have a water view and I took one of them so there are two remaining. Block dates are for April 11-15 but you can choose which nights to stay within that period.

You must CALL the hotel and make reservations with the front desk staff at the hotel. The block name is Red Glare Rocketry, block code is RKT . Phone 410-827-4454

PS I have no affiliation whatever with this hotel (or any other for that matter). We just loved this place and wanted to share it with our fellow rocketeeers. We stayed in the area a few extra days and this was a great starting point.

Why would you want to stay at this Holiday Inn Express?

• It's only 2.8 miles (one exit) from the Sleep Inn host hotel and the VFW banquet hall.
  • It's as close to the field as most other hotels in the area.
  • It's on the water, has a great deck and pool area in the rear with tables, has a nice long dock extending out from shoreline, tons of waterfowl and sailboats to watch and your wife or girlfriend or significant other will love it compared to all the other hotels!
  • They serve a great free breakfast, (pancakes, fruit, cereal, sausage, muffins, bread, cinnamon buns, eggs, bagels, cream cheese and other stuff), 24 hour coffee and fruit, Even has a popcorn machine in the lobby that runs 24/7.
  • Free internet, pool, tennis court, sauna, tons of parking and a USA Today newspaper to read.
  • Bars, restaurants and night life are walking distance with your choice of places like Fisherman's Inn, Bridges, The Jetty etc.
  • The Kent Narrow bridge is a spit away and you can visit Annapolis, Washington DC (The Smithsonian was fabulous) and a bunch of great little towns with lots of history and charm (and did I mention restaurants with fabulous fish and seafood?).
  • There is Shopping! (Not rockets or AP though.) There is a cozy little strip mall about a mile away with things like West Marine (epoxy), Pizza, Italian restaurant, Dairy Queen, wine store, Anthony's FABULOUS ribs and a Safeway (where I bought your sandwiches every morning at the last Red Glare, Howie.) just to name a few.

Some hotel photos from last April's Red Glare are at the bottom (not the first one).

Mapquest showing Holiday Inn & Sleep Inn [url]https://mapq.st/WeaxFm [/URL]
Mapquest showing route to Higg's Farm https://mapq.st/WKEY7o

Holiday Inn Express Annapolis East/Kent Island
1020 Kent Narrows Road
Grasonville, MD 21638
410-827-4454

Exterior.jpg P1090302 (Medium).JPG P1090354 (Medium).JPG P1090352 (Medium).JPG

Last edited:
Here are some shots I took of the restaurants we ate at - all walking distance.

P1090385 (Medium).JPG P1090387 (Medium).JPG P1090393 (Medium).JPG P1090406 (Medium).JPG

And if you are into wildlife, the view at the rear of the hotel affords lots of it. Here are some shots I took out back.

DSC_7014 (Medium).JPG DSC_7020 (Medium).JPG DSC_6814 (Medium).JPG DSC_7028 (Medium).JPG

I tend to stay in the Microtel in Dover. $65 a night with indoor parking, basic amenities, and about the same drive as the Sleep Inn. Only difference is you're driving East instead of south west. Dover downs is close by, as are a lot of restaurants and shopping centers (read: Wal Mart).

Our group travels in from the Southeast up the eastern shore, so we usually stay East of the Red Glare field. Most of us have been staying at the Best Western in Denton, MD, usually around $80-$90. Not much on amenites, breakfast is about it. It's a pretty quiet hotel though and Denton is a nice little town to go grab some dinner. Also just oepned a Wal-Mart in Denton, for all your rocket launch weekend needs.

Thanks DR. I'm booked.

I look forward to meeting you, I'll arrive friday am at the field. Can I buy you a beer Friday night:)

Thanks DR. I'm booked.

I look forward to meeting you, I'll arrive friday am at the field. Can I buy you a beer Friday night:)

Great! I'll be at the field Friday morning too. Just come to the double wide canopy with the CRMRC flag (or I'll meet you in the parking lot at the Holiday Inn!)

As OF RIGHT now (5:04AM 2-16) there is ONE king and ONE dbl queen room avail.

After all my stays at the Americinn,, (the main reason is an indoor pool, which seems to be closed most of the time anyway) I am booked here.

Tom

Last edited:
Back