recommendations

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

r1dermon

Reaction score
from experience, im looking for some mpr kits that would fit my bill. i want something that can fly on 29mm motors, easy to put together, reliable recovery system, high quality(LOC, PML, Aerotech.) i think i've narrowed it down to three rockets, please give me some experience based replies on these rockets. the aerotech mustang, i just saw it fly on an AT F20-7W today and it was awesome, the aerotech arruex(sp?), and the LOC forte. i just built a LOC aura and i was more leaning towards checking out aerotech, but if there's a really nice LOC kit out there, im willing to give it a shot. thanks for the replies in advance.

Well, I am not sure about the Forte, but the arreaux and the mustang are one of AT's best, in my opinion. The Mustang especially. With the right size field, you can put it up to about 4000 on a G35! I loved it! I would probably recommend the Mustang!

I'd say all LOC stuff is nice. I love their nosecones, their tubes are awesome too!

IMHO, I'd extend the Aura with some tube and a coupler. That way you can carry payload (prac. w/ electronics) and weigh the thing down too. :D

PML has some nice kits. I don't like their quantnum tubing but if it's handled properly, it's fine. I'd say skip the piston, it's a pain to clean the tube after ejection gases have gummied it up.

I've never bought an Aerotech rocket before so I can't say anything about it.

Originally posted by r1dermon
from experience, im looking for some mpr kits that would fit my bill. i want something that can fly on 29mm motors, easy to put together, reliable recovery system, high quality(LOC, PML, Aerotech.) i think i've narrowed it down to three rockets, please give me some experience based replies on these rockets. the aerotech mustang, i just saw it fly on an AT F20-7W today and it was awesome, the aerotech arruex(sp?), and the LOC forte. i just built a LOC aura and i was more leaning towards checking out aerotech, but if there's a really nice LOC kit out there, im willing to give it a shot. thanks for the replies in advance.

Try an AT so you can see their design technique from the inside.
Get a Mustang to start with. Later, if you want an Arreux, get a payload section and swap it in on the Mustang

Now, if I were to suggest an LOC kit, it'd be a Weasel. I usually do. But instead, I'll suggest that once you've flow the Mustang, and bought a Payload section for it, then you can get an extra 2 foot body tube, a coupler and an extra 6 foot of shock cord, slap those on the Mustang, and turn it into an awesome, nearly 6 foot, kick butt rocket that's got the profile of the Weasel, built like an AT, and that you were able to put together in stages and didn't have to buy all at once. If you use a loop knot run through the screw eye or nose cone, you can always swap between them for different flights.

Oh, and you can get it and get ready to turn it into an even more awesome rocket than it already is by using some other motor retention system than the AT motor hook. That can cost up to $20, or down to $2. But it's far easier to do this at the outset than later.

You can build the Mustang and be satsfied, or you can keep building the Mustang. If I can find my new camera among the eleventy dozen boxes the movers just delivered, I'll show you what my MOOSEtang looks like.

nice....thanks for the replies....i've definately narrowed it down to the two AT kits. i've built a LOC, their quality is serious, but now i think i want to check out AT. maybe i'll go back to LOC for a lvl1 cert next year. the mustang i flew today had a little payload section on it...5" maybe. but that rocket soared with just an F20. i can only imagine like a G40 or G35. that would be insanity.

Originally posted by r1dermon
nice....thanks for the replies....i've definately narrowed it down to the two AT kits. i've built a LOC, their quality is serious, but now i think i want to check out AT. maybe i'll go back to LOC for a lvl1 cert next year. the mustang i flew today had a little payload section on it...5" maybe. but that rocket soared with just an F20. i can only imagine like a G40 or G35. that would be insanity.

I'll let you know. I'll be trying a G80 in mine. Here it is with stretched body and payload section.

r1dermon,

I got the Aerreaux (pronounced Aero) as a first mid kit. IF you leave the motor block out, you can hammer it on H's...

Check this link out for dual deploying the Aerreaux:

https://www.highrf.com/gallery/AT-Arreaux

Take a look around the home page of this link, and you will find a Loc Forte as well.

The length of the skinny Arreaux is just right for 3FNC in my opinion.

Originally posted by DynaSoar
I'll let you know. I'll be trying a G80 in mine. Here it is with stretched body and payload section.

I've got an su G80-10 labelled for my stock Mustang.... :eek:

thanks for the replies. that rocket is sick looking. i like the plastic fins on the mustang, makes finishing a ton easier. also, i've got 5 G80's coming in the mail. lol. so i'll have a blast...literally. if i can decide between the mustang and the arreux.

I have a AT Mustang which was my first Mid-power kit. The building style is completely different than most every other kit, so take care.

Otherwise have fun! She screams off the pad on SU F20-7's. I have to fly in a small field and I am always a bit concerned when I launch this bird about losing it. If you use a G-80 plan on a BIG field to fly from and walking a while to retrieve it...unless you reaf the parachute or use a streamer.

i have the mustang and the arreaux (which i learned was pronounced arrow... i was wonder how to say it... "yeah i just built an aerotech arreawawawa....")

the arreaux is basically a mustang with 3 fins and a payload bay... and an obscenly large parachute...

both were kinda the same construction... on the box it says both could get 3000+ flights

if you get the mustang, get a nice 30x2" streamer... the parachute that comes wiht the mustang, which i used on my arreaux, made it drift and drift and drift...

rabid, i put someones mustang up on my F20, with the stock parachute(12-14inch i think) and it landed in 15mph winds maybe 100yds from the pad. it was also angled into the wind and had slightly weathercocked, so if it was put at 90 degrees it would've probably been 300yds. but i liked it a lot better than what LOC had given me on the aura, that streamer is good for maybe a 5oz bird, but definately not 8oz. i broke 2 fins off on the first flight. arg.

I love AT kits as intros to midpower - they go together easy, and you don't need to really worry about motor retention or recovery protection - it's all built in, which makes it easier to get used to handling the bigger motors, and learning how to build reloads!

I like the Initiator as a first kit, just because it's a little bit bigger than the Arreux and the Mustang, so you can launch it on a bigger range of motors, and still keep it in sight.

Loopy

I can't remember where I read that, it may have been the advertisement in an older Aerotech catalog. Heck it may have been on the box that my Aerreaux came in...

Aerotech Tomahawk is a cool roc. I've flown mine on E18's and F12's in the 24mm family. In the 29mm everything from an E16 to a G33. This kit is simple, strong,and flies out of sight. Plus you have such a wide choice of motors.

It says how to pronounce it in their catalogue. Those things are crazy - a guy at the local rocket club sent one up on a G33, and it went WAY out of sight - just a black smoke trail leading up into the blue. He had a small alt in the payload bay, and it hit 3026 feet. It's supposed to go even higher on a G64.

I have a LOC Forte and I have flown the bejeezus out of it. It's a great kit, not too spendy. It has been flown about 60 times in the past 7 years with my rocket club in Mn (MASA NAR 576)
I highly recommend this kit

Back