Really Old Decals?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PunkRocketScience

Reaction score
I have recently scored an old Estes K-48 Bandit kit. It has to be roughly 30 years old or so. The decals look like they are in pretty good shape, but the backing paper is yellowed with age.

Is there any problem with using water slides this old? Any special techniques required for handling them?

Put down a heavy coat of liquid decal film by Micro-Scale over the decal first... That will make them safe to use.:D

Put down a heavy coat of liquid decal film by Micro-Scale over the decal first... That will make them safe to use.:D

What if there is some cracking/crazing of the decal itself? Will the decals be useable after painting with MicroScale or is time to call Phred?

What if there is some cracking/crazing of the decal itself? Will the decals be useable after painting with MicroScale or is time to call Phred?

If the PAPER backing is cracked, as in if it has been folded, then its not a good idea, but if they are just hairline cracks in the decal film its no problem at all. That is what the stuff is marketed for. I coat all of my kit decals with the stuff. I went through about 20 bottles last year!

If the PAPER backing is cracked, as in if it has been folded, then its not a good idea, but if they are just hairline cracks in the decal film its no problem at all. That is what the stuff is marketed for. I coat all of my kit decals with the stuff. I went through about 20 bottles last year!

Yes, just the decal itself is cracked, the paper is fine. Thanks!

I use 2 to 3 coats of liquid decal film, great stuff. You will have to let the decal sit in water for up to a minute so it slides off. Also put a fair amount of water on the rocket where you want the decal to sit. These old decals are fragile and will tear easy so you will not be able to move it around. You may want to order a replacement decal from Excelsior just in case one or two of the decals tear. Good luck

you can also tape them down on a flat surface and spary them with a fresh coat of Krylon UV resistant clear #1305, as long as the cracks don't go all the way to the backing. I've used Old kit decals often with this method. Most recently was the 1973 Centuri Kc-6 Space shuttle 2 glider kit. Those Old decals worked just as well as the day after they were printed.

468d21-sm_KC-6 Space Shuttle (2 glider)_08-04-07.jpg

I recently got a 30 year old Estes Alien Invader kit off ebay, and the 30 year old decals worked flawlessly...

Back