Inkjet water slide decal thickness

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tooth

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Curious if I did these wrong, or if it’s typical. Does it seem the home-made water slide decals are a lot thicker than kit? I made my first set for the little Estes Viking, and was surprised how visible the edges are.

I did put three heavy coats of clear seal on the sheet before cutting them out. Perhaps I over did it? Thanks for any feedback.

water slide.jpg

that makes sense SolarYellow. no doubt I added some of that thickness myself. will be more careful next time
It does...we have to use a clear coat to protect the decal, the people that commercial print them use waterproof inks. Our decals will most likely always be thicker than ones printed on purpose made printers like the Alps MD5000 (?).

The trick is to apply just enough clear coat to seal them without needlessly adding extra thickness.

Also, Micro-sol will help soften the decal edges, but I *still* can't figure out how well it works (if at all) through the clear-coat.

Back