Printing and Application of Complex Waterslide Decals

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I did at one point, but I don't recall if I printed any decals with it. Laser printers require laser decal paper and I've heard that it doesn't print the decals as well as inkjets.
I have colour laser & inkjet. I tried colour laser decal paper and had 0 success with it. Returned the first one I bought and tried another an also zero success. Maybe my laser isn't compatible with decal paper? In any case, I also have a colour inkjet that works great.

With inkjet decal paper, even with a clearcoat the cut edges will be exposed to water and may smear. Then you will have to touch up the edges with a sharpie of the same color.
This doesn't happen with laser decal paper. No clearcoat needed because the toner is not water soluble.
I switched from inkjets to laser decal printing and never looked back. Quality and resolution appear just as good to me. No streaking that you can sometimes get with inkjet printers. And if you look around you can get a good color laser printer for the price of a midrange inkjet. A few years ago I needed a new printer anyway, so I ordered this:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07FMS1DMX/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&th=1Just recently changed the first toner cartridge (black) after four years of moderate use.
And pics of the decals on my Magnum D SR71 build are here:
https://www.rocketryforum.com/threa...-71-blackbird-5349.162308/page-3#post-2301919Also, if you can get a good match of the rocket's base color you can edit the decal background to the color of your basecoat. Then you won't have to cut so precisely around the decal. Graphics editing software includes a color palette where you can adjust the colors to match.
An alternative approach is to do a double decal: White decal paper underlying a clear decal over it. Then the clear areas will show as white. Example here from Chris Michielssen:
https://modelrocketbuilding.blogspot.com/2011/04/starlight-jayhawk-build-part-26-white.htmlOne drawback of laser decals is that they do not appear as glossy as inkjet decals. They have a matte appearance. However a final whole rocket gloss overcoat will alleviate this, which you are probably going to want to do any way to protect the rockets' finish and decals.
Great job on the decal work and great craftsmanship.
Following with interest.

Last edited:
@kuririn Being a fan of Brother's black and white laser printers in the same general form factor, I'm glad to hear that one is working well for you. We do quite a bit of printing and go through a cartridge about once every 14 months or so. So....good to know.

Great demo of your waterslide decal technique.

Another idea, if painting and traditional masking techniques prove difficult for portions of an overall color scheme, consider using the decal paper to apply simple geometric shapes that you can color match with the same kind of paint as other parts of a rocket. Just paint the decal paper and cut the painted decal sheet to shape for whatever you need to add a little bit of color, in those special situations where traditional masking might be a challenge.

With inkjet decal paper, even with a clearcoat the cut edges will be exposed to water and may smear. Then you will have to touch up the edges with a sharpie of the same color.
This doesn't happen with laser decal paper. No clearcoat needed because the toner is not water soluble.
I switched from inkjets to laser decal printing and never looked back. Quality and resolution appear just as good to me. No streaking that you can sometimes get with inkjet printers. And if you look around you can get a good color laser printer for the price of a midrange inkjet. A few years ago I needed a new printer anyway, so I ordered this:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07FMS1DMX/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&th=1
Following with interest.
I worked at a Tribal College for 19 years as an IT Guy and we had great luck with Brother Laser printers, both B&W and color. A good value.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07FMS1DMX/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&th=1Just recently changed the first toner cartridge (black) after four years of moderate use.
And pics of the decals on my Magnum D SR71 build are here:
https://www.rocketryforum.com/threa...-71-blackbird-5349.162308/page-3#post-2301919Also, if you can get a good match of the rocket's base color you can edit the decal background to the color of your basecoat. Then you won't have to cut so precisely around the decal. Graphics editing software includes a color palette where you can adjust the colors to match.
An alternative approach is to do a double decal: White decal paper underlying a clear decal over it. Then the clear areas will show as white. Example here:
https://modelrocketbuilding.blogspot.com/2011/04/starlight-jayhawk-build-part-26-white.htmlOne drawback of laser decals is that they do not appear as glossy as inkjet decals. They have a matte appearance. However a final whole rocket gloss overcoat will alleviate this, which you are probably going to want to do any way to protect the rockets' finish and decals.
Following with interest.
Hey there kuririn,
Thanks for that info and feedback, it's very helpful!
It seems that each printer has it's benefits and drawbacks and that varies by type of decal desired, background color of the rocket, type of decal paper, color of decal paper, trimming of the decal etc.

You brought up a great point about the white edges on the black bordered decal on a black background. That's probably the extreme combination where the edge of the white decal paper is most prominent. I have to confess that at one point I thought about it and used a sharpie to color the border of the black decal, but I believe I later felt it wasn't necessary in my case, but I'll check back and may edit that in as a step.

You also brought up a good point about overlapping decals as a trick. When I first started this thread, I was going to add that, but I never got to it and didn't have a good example other than maybe one I did years ago and I'll have to check.

Wow, your ink cartridge lasted 4 years?!? I wish that were the case for me. Every darn printer I've owned the past needed cartridges at least every year or so and more recently would have the stupid @$#%! cartridges expire within a few years and the printer wouldn't accept it (including the laserjet). Your printer doesn't track cartridge expiration?

Last edited:
Great demo of your waterslide decal technique.

Another idea, if painting and traditional masking techniques prove difficult for portions of an overall color scheme, consider using the decal paper to apply simple geometric shapes that you can color match with the same kind of paint as other parts of a rocket. Just paint the decal paper and cut the painted decal sheet to shape for whatever you need to add a little bit of color, in those special situations where traditional masking might be a challenge.
Yes, that's a great suggestion! :) 👍
It's similar (in techique) to what I noted about printing white lettering either here earlier or on the decal help requested thread.

Last edited:
Wow, your ink cartridge lasted 4 years?!? I wish that were the case for me. Every darn printer I've owned the past needed cartridges at least every year or so and more recently would have the stupid @$#%! cartridges expire within a few years and the printer wouldn't accept it (including the laserjet). Your printer doesn't track cartridge expiration?
The black toner cartridge on the laser printer lasted four years with moderate use.
Color cartridges still fine.
Was mainly using it to print B/W text, with the occasional color job.
I think the printer tracks toner level by # of pages printed.
And I used a non OEM (cheaper) replacement cartridge.
Works fine, but YMMV as they say.

The black toner cartridge on the laser printer lasted four years with moderate use.
Color cartridges still fine.
Was mainly using it to print B/W text, with the occasional color job.
I think the printer tracks toner level by # of pages printed.
And I used a non OEM (cheaper) replacement cartridge.
Works fine, but YMMV as they say.
Odd thing for me is that I bought a laser printer years ago thinking it would print images better than inkjet.
Maybe it was better at the beginning before inkjets got better? 🤷‍♂️

I love @kuririn but IMO on this topic, YMMVG. I'll say I had a brother laser. And I ditched it for an HP InkJet. And while as I said, the density of inkjet is not comparable, I never looked back. However maybe Laser decal paper has come a long way. I've not had bleed though. But I stay away from the edges on clear decals. No need to get too close. Care must be taken with all homemade decals. They are far more fragile (IMO) than commercial decals. However I'll state this for posterity, "Unless you decide to catch every rocket you launch (which I think is folly but have seen it), your rocket will look amazing once!" Heck TRANSPORTING a rocket is harder on its finish! But from 3m to 20m away? They all look GREAT!

@kuririn You did not join in for the rain on Saturday! It's not a video without you!!! :)

Back