Rats! $37 Hazmat Fee on E12-6’s and E12-8’s

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Addendum: Decided to see what the shipping for my order to Boston, Mass. would be. It's $8.63 via Priority Mail, so .92 cents less than LA or Honolulu.
So much for "costs way more to ship".

It might be worth pointing out that "the amount you get charged" is not necessarily the same thing as "what it costs," particularly in USPS's case, which I would think is mandated to make things convenient for Alaskans and Hawaiians. What UPS and/or FedEx charge would probably be a more fair comparison.

It might be worth pointing out that "the amount you get charged" is not necessarily the same thing as "what it costs," particularly in USPS's case, which I would think is mandated to make things convenient for Alaskans and Hawaiians.
Absolutely. I suspect that the rates may be subsidized by USPS for those consumers.
But the claim was that "It costs more to ship" (meaning what consumers are charged) which I refute.

It might be worth pointing out that "the amount you get charged" is not necessarily the same thing as "what it costs," particularly in USPS's case, which I would think is mandated to make things convenient for Alaskans and Hawaiians.
Indeed. USPS is required by law to subsidize (massively) service to Alaska, Hawaii, and other remote areas by overcharging for service to other areas. I'm very much in favor of that for things like first-class mail. Everybody in the US should be able to send their Mother a card for the same price regardless of where in the US she lives.

And they have to charge the rest of us more to cover the expense of shipping stuff to you for free.
You are not being "charged more."
Free shipping applies to everyone if their order qualifies.
USPS shipping rates to AK/HI are not substantially higher than the rest of the country.
Faulty argument.

Getting back to Ron's point, why is AC offering free shipping for orders over $100 only to the lower 48 states when USPS shipping charges to AK/HI are not that much higher?
I'm feeling a bit irritated.
Also irritated that I can't ski in the winter and build a snowman.
Or launch rockets off a frozen lake. ;)

I don't recall exactly where I saw it but recently saw the cost to ship a container from China to Los Angles was $900. The cost to ship that same container from Los Angles to Honolulu was $10,000 Reason being that ships/boats doing international shipping vs domestic shipping. When shipping via ship/boat domestically, different rules apply like the ship/boat has to be built in the US, has to be owned by an entity (person/company) in the US, flagged in the US and crewed 75% by US citizens. (all going from memory, could be wildly wrong)

For non-subsidized shipping, going to HI or AK from the 48 is $$$ when going by "get your feet wet"

I ordered a bunch of 29 mm E and F BP motors from multiple vendors about 9 or 10 years ago when I became a BAR.
Never paid a Hazmat fee. Not once.
So I think the laws must have changed just a few years ago.

Last edited:
I don't recall exactly where I saw it but recently saw the cost to ship a container from China to Los Angles was $900. The cost to ship that same container from Los Angles to Honolulu was $10,000 Reason being that ships/boats doing international shipping vs domestic shipping. When shipping via ship/boat domestically, different rules apply like the ship/boat has to be built in the US, has to be owned by an entity (person/company) in the US, flagged in the US and crewed 75% by US citizens. (all going from memory, could be wildly wrong)

For non-subsidized shipping, going to HI or AK from the 48 is $$$ when going by "get your feet wet"

It's only 9 minutes but a really good watch.

Show your lawyer credentials to Bill at the front door/lobby, that’ll get you priority access.
Just to be clear, I am not in any way dissing the good folks at Estes. My understanding from the commenter’s comment was that Estes had to stop giving tours due to requirements from the regulators that made the tours impractical.

No one ever came back from a vacation in Hawaii and said, "Well, that sucked."
I've been twice, both for sibling weddings. Once I was back from the most recent trip, I didn't say "well, that sucked" but pretty close to it. I'll go back again but never with my former traveling companion.

The palm trees, warm sand, surfing, and island lifestyle are worth some extra dollars and some extra delay in shipping of rocket motors, no? I have never been to Hawaii. My friends who have vacationed there say it is awesome. 🤩 🏄‍♂️ 🏖
It's 90F in the summer and 80F in the winter. Oahu is too old for mountains but Maui and BI has them. The main difference between the seasons is the height of the wave. When the big waves hit the north shore, it's nearly impossible to drive to Waimea Bay.

1635875011800.png

That said, I believe the main reason for the higher prices is that we don't manufacture much here and the Jones Act prevents us from receiving commercial shipments from overseas. We would basically have to eliminate the Longshoreman Union before eliminating the Jones Act. If it wasn't for Costco and Amazon Prime, this island would suck. However I've noticed lately that the expiration dates on food in Costco has quickened so buyer beware.

It's another low wind, blue sky day but must resist because I'm low on BP motors after this past weekend.

Just to be clear, I am not in any way dissing the good folks at Estes. My understanding from the commenter’s comment was that Estes had to stop giving tours due to requirements from the regulators that made the tours impractical.
Hogwarsh 💩

Buy direct from acsupplyco.com at a 40% discount and save some money.
https://www.acsupplyco.com/estes-model-rockets/model-rocket-engines
Does the HobbyTown in Santee stock the Estes BP and AT/Quest composite motors?
They stock Estes BP up to and including size D. Es are unavailable there.

I have a pair of Q-Jet 18mm Ds that I bought there but I don’t know if they have anything bigger.

Of course, I much prefer to support Discount Hobby Warehouse on Clairemont Mesa Blvd. That’s my first stop. Santee or online order if they don’t have what I’m looking for.

Back