R/C Swingwing rocket glider

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

liftingbody

Reaction score
I saw this kit while I was at the local hobby shop and it is just begging to be converted to R/C. As an R/C airplane guy, my interests in rocketry are basically limited to rocket powered aircraft. For those of you who are unaware, enormous advancements have been made in the last ten years towards smaller components such as receivers, servos, & batteries. The components that I will be using to control this model are:

2 - cirrus 4.7 gram servos
1 - plantranco receiver
1 - 210 Mah Li-poly battery

I have not weighed this complete system but I estimate it is equal to the weight of the clay included in the kit.

My first goal was to determine the best positioning of the servos in the rocket tube. For functionality purposes, the servo arm and the pushrods will be "out in the breeze" incase adjustments need to be made. Because there is no dihedral in the wing, I have choosen to use elevons for controlling roll and pitch. A rudder control surface is not effective enough without dihedral.

This picture shows the servo temporarily positioned inside the rocket tube

One common problem with a high aspect ratio balsa wood wing is that they warps easily. To prevent warping before it occurs the control surfaces have been fiberglassed with 3/4 oz cloth and epoxy. The reason for this is to seal the wood and add strength. This technique if done right is much lighter than several coats of primer. By the way, this kit's balsa parts are laser cut.....sweet.

Here is a picture of the parts being fiberglassed with West Systems epoxy.

*Tommorrow I will glass the otherside.

I have been kind of idly following the RC airplane technologies, and you are right, there have been major advances in achieving very small, light, and low-powered RC gear.

I am waiting for them to follow up with micro-cost RC gear (but I'm not holding my breath).

The Estes kit that you selected should give you a good starting point for an exercise like converting to RC. (I am looking forward to seeing how you install controls on the pivoting wing.) Be aware that this thing glides only enough to be called a glider, instead of a brick, but there is still a strong resemblance. You will undoubtedly want to build an improved version after you get this first one running.

Originally posted by powderburner
I am waiting for them to follow up with micro-cost RC gear (but I'm not holding my breath).

Powder,

This is micro-cost R/C gear! When I first started in R/C, a modest priced 5 channel setup with no frills and standard (big) sized servos could be had for $225.00, ON SALE. The better quality equipment went up in price from there.

This was in 1970's dollars. :eek: :eek:

EDIT: The reliability of the equipment was no where near where it is today.

When the FCC went to the 1991 Narrow Band standard, almost all of my equipment became obsolete and illegal. I had one transmitter that could be converted to narrow band, on AM. The dual conversion FM equipment is so much better.

Being the Micro guy, I've also been folowing the micronization of R/C equipment.
I'm sure you guys have heard or seen some of the tiny indoor electic motor r/c planes in the 4 to 15gram size.

I just purchased a micro system that I'm hoping well allow me to R/C several of my micro maxx powered BG and RG models.
the reciever for this unit is only .9g and the battery pack is amazing. 90mAh requiring an antenna only a few inches long I'm looking at a complete model under 13g. Really exciting stuff! the 4 channel tramsitter only has a 300 foot range but that should be more then enough for my purposes:D Plantraco Hobbies is the manufacturer in Canada Check them out at https://www.plantraco.com/hobbies/product_hfx900.html

Way KEWL STUFF:D:D
Micro-Maxx everything!

You're definitely venturing into way-coolness with those micro RC's & rocket powered gliders. Please keep us posted, this is VERY interesting to me
-That's a neat site Micro, the concept of flying a 4g RC plane around my living room is awesome.

Originally posted by Micromeister
Being the Micro guy, I've also been folowing the micronization of R/C equipment.
I'm sure you guys have hear or seen some of the tiny indoor electic motor r/c planes in the 4 to 15gram size.

I just purchased a micro system that I'm hoping well allow me to R/C several of my micro maxx powered BG and RG models.
the reciever for this unit is only .9g and the battery pack is amazing. 90mAh requiring an antenna only a few inches long I'm looking at a complete model under 13g. Really exciting stuff! the 4 channel tramsitter only has a 300 foot range but that should be more then enough for my purposes:D Plantraco Hobbies is the manufacturer in Canada Check them out at https://www.plantraco.com/hobbies/product_hfx900.html

Way KEWL STUFF:D:D
Micro-Maxx everything!

When you finally go completely crazy I will faithfully come and visit you in your padded room.:D

Originally posted by rokitflite
When you finally go completely crazy I will faithfully come and visit you in your padded room.:D
LOL-In his micro-sized padded room. :D

Originally posted by Rob Fisher
LOL-In his micro-sized padded room. :D

You see, herein lies the irony to this whole thing: Micromiester is one of those big, former linebacker guys. You know, the type of person that you do not want to get punched by? This big guy does these tiny rockets... Amazing.

Originally posted by Micromeister

Any ETA on the test flights? I'd be interested in seeing how something this small works in a boost or rocket glider.

Originally posted by narprez
Any ETA on the test flights? I'd be interested in seeing how something this small works in a boost or rocket glider.

Mark:
Just as soon as I can get my grubby little hands on the equipment (I'm told about 10 days) and arrange a pow-wow with either rokitflite, Robert Edmonds or both......My RC guru's;) I don't have much stick time in RC anything.
The plan is to incorporate these components into a micro Ecee RG first, then try a micro deltie BG. Until I can actually work with these tiny actuators we're kind of shooting in the dark on exactly how the linkage. placement, balance and such will be accomplished.
I'll be sure to post results positive or negative in another thread here on TRF just as soon as I can install the equipment in the models. I'm trying to use proven free flight micro models as the test beds, I have already thermalled away 1 micro Deltie, while micro Ecee has only had one untrmmmed but still pretty good test flight. Unfortunately the next 3 weeks are solidly filled with MR club stuff so late May looks like the very earliest anything could be ready.

Lifting Body: Very sorry we've sort of stolen your very interesing Thread. I'll be following your progress as well. Do I understand you'll be using elevator/rudder control with the scissor wing Glider? I kinda doubt I'll be able to do the same with my Micro Scissor wing.. tho I'm sure it would greatly help the glide time.. Powderburner is right about the glide ratio...it was wonderful until I painted it...now it's about 1 to 1:)

Back