1:12 scale R/C Orbital Pegasus Rocket glider

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

burkefj

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Spent some time today hashing out weights and balance for a 1/12 scale Orbital Pegasus XL R/C rocket glider designed for H-13 longburn motors. 9mm depron for the wing and control surfaces, BT-101 tubing and a 3-d printed cone from Scott Binder. The wing and rear section is complete with servos installed, Just need to add the front tube and coupler when it comes in and mount the wing. Stickershock will do the decals for me. Dimensions will be 57" long, 33" wingspan, 4" diameter 30.6 oz rtf. Shown next to my 2.6" 1/19 scale version. Another photo showing the mass balancing I did in openrocket, the wing has to be modeled through the middle instead of on top of the tube, but it doesn't matter for balance. The little spheres are modeling the glue, servo extensions, servos, receiver etc..

IMG_20211111_194549293_2.jpg
Capture.JPG

Last edited:
Hey man, great rocket. I'm building one myself. Doing the computer modeling right now. I'm curious does the high wing cause any issues with vertical flight. I'm building a conventional rocket with parachute recovery, so I'll have no control on the way up. Or down, lol. I appreciate the ork file, but don't have the software. Would you mind sharing the location of the cp/cg. Mine might be different but it would get me in the ballpark. I might build a 2.6 inch version as a test vehicle. Thanks for the info in advance,

Joe

Hey man, great rocket. I'm building one myself. Doing the computer modeling right now. I'm curious does the high wing cause any issues with vertical flight. I'm building a conventional rocket with parachute recovery, so I'll have no control on the way up. Or down, lol. I appreciate the ork file, but don't have the software. Would you mind sharing the location of the cp/cg. Mine might be different but it would get me in the ballpark. I might build a 2.6 inch version as a test vehicle. Thanks for the info in advance,

Joe
I have the motor mounted in the center of the body tube and I think I might need just a small bit of down trim for a straight boost you have the wing on the top of the body tube and you have the vertical stab so your drag is toward the top of the model note that mine boosts fairly slowly so that that asymmetric drag is as noticeable and I'm using the wing to support some of the load on boost and not going purely vertical if you're doing a scale model your wing will be smaller and probably thinner but you may be able to get by with the center mounted motor and be okay otherwise you may need to mount the motor a little bit higher toward the vertical stab, if you are just going with a pure rocket if you have the CG around the front of the wing where it hits the body tube you should be plenty stable you can maybe go just a little bit back from that mine's further back but again I'm flying an aircraft not a hands off rocket.

Man that was quick, lol. Thanks man. I'll definitely build the small one first. I already have the nosecone printed for that. I'll see what it does first. If I have to break out the servos I will. I love RC and Rockets. So together is fine with me. Thanks for the quick reply,

Joe.

Back