Wolverine 2.6x upscale R/C rocket glider

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

burkefj

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
I had some recycled servos and a receiver and was looking for something to make today, and I remembered the posting about the upscale wolverine I just saw. I decided with some tweaks maybe I could make something that would glide that would capture the spirit of that model that I really liked as a kid. The original was extremely long and would never fly as an aircraft so I'd have to upscale the wings and tail which makes it look a little more proportional.

I decided on 2.6 inch tubing and a PNC 80k nose cone. I cut off about 3 and 1/2 in of the nose cone and inserted a round foam plate from the inside about an eighth of an inch from the front end of the rear portion of the cone and then trimmed off another inch off the tip of the nose cone and glued it onto the plate to give it the right ramjet look.

Then I played around in openrocket with a wing shape that gave the right look but that was large enough to have a light wing loading and did the same with the tail, given the CG I'd need for glide/boost I played around moving the wing forward and adjusting the length of the body tube and placement of the electronics till I came out with something that looked like it might work and balance okay.

I cut the wing as a single piece from 9mm depron and used double 2.5 mm carbon spars top and bottom about 20% back from the leading edge, glued and taped, and then slotted the body tube for the wing and tail. I offset the motor mount slightly above center to compensate for the drag of the tail. The motor tube glues into a slot in the vertical stab tab.

I cut and slotted the small 6 mm depron canards ahead of the wing and attached the 6 mm depron elevons to the wing once it was glued into place along with the vertical stab.

I cut a small hatch in the bottom rear of the body tube so I could connect the very short servo wires and also mount the receiver to the motor mount from the inside. The rear of the tube is open so I can simply connect the battery to the receiver wire and stick it to velcro on the other side of the motor mount without cutting a hatch on the other side.

I offset the rail buttons about 45° from the bottom so that they don't hit the ground when landing.

I used Jim Z's site to print out the cockpit template with a 2.6 x scale and printed that on the back of photo paper and cut it out and glued it to the nose cone.

I checked the balance and it was a little bit nose heavy so I trimmed off one and 3/8 in from the end of the body tube and re checked.

It all came out at 10.3 Oz ready to fly with a long burn 24 mm e6 motor and battery and balancing just slightly nose heavy.

I'll try to give it a test flight tomorrow, then hand cut some vinyl trim to match the original decals

IMG_20230922_222321332.jpgIMG_20230922_222334105.jpgIMG_20230922_222354040.jpgIMG_20230922_222412792.jpg

Last edited:
I like the pattern look for the carbon rods. Is this a different pattern than what you usually use?
I ran out of 3 mm carbon so I used 2 and 1/2 mm above and below the wing and they kind of act like an I-beam and make it a lot stiffer than a single round rod would be even the larger diameter at about the same weight. On the bottom I used a single cross spar sort of like an A-frame I'm not sure if it really helps the strength but I feel better with it.

Here she is all dolled up with hand cut vinyl decals after the maiden flights this morning. I just needed three or four clicks of down trim for a straight boost and it only took surprisingly about five clicks of up trim for glide and I was easily getting over a minute which isn't bad for a draggy model.

IMG_20230923_092542556.jpgIMG_20230923_092552836.jpgIMG_20230923_092603503.jpgIMG_20230923_092612192.jpg

That was awesome! How in the heck did you get it to set down on the pavement, right next to the launch pad?

Would you care to share receiver type and servo make and did you set up elevons or flaperons as far as control pitch snd bank?

Would you care to share receiver type and servo make and did you set up elevons or flaperons as far as control pitch snd bank?
Ar410 and hs-35055 metal gear digital servos, elevons only with elevator trim settings separate for boost and glide, flaperons won't give you pitch control.

Ar410 and hs-35055 metal gear digital servos, elevons only with elevator trim settings separate for boost and glide, flaperons won't give you pitch control.
Copy that and I guess s test flight or to to get the trim right for vertical flight. Thanks for the info.
Sterk03

Back