Concorde R/C rocket glider

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

burkefj

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Back in 2016 I did a sort of Concorde using cosmic interceptor cone and tubes with a bottom mounted wing, it flew nice but was close to 12 oz rtf. I wanted to do another one a bit better using my current lighter materials and the learnings from my others.

I tweaked my Aurora clipper wing shape a bit, removed the dihedral and used a straight spar. The wing is a low mounted through the tube/slotted type. I bevel cut the rear of the tube. The motor tube is recessed but centered requiring a groove to be sanded in the rear of the wing to allow the tube to fit under the stabilizer tab. Worked perfect.

I mounted the Servos on the bottom for appearance, but glued them together vertically in a slot through the tube/wing so they didn't stick down so far on landing. I mounted some foam blocks on the bottom of the servos to keep them from going in too far, I had to trim off the servo tabs so they would go deep enough so the arms would clear the rail which uses bottom mounted buttons.

Just waiting for stickershock air France decals to finish it. 35.5" long, 22.5" wingspan, bt-60 tubing and lightweight
Hdpe rocketarium cone. 7.56 oz rtf, so much lighter but not much smaller than my old one.
IMG_20230825_085036815.jpgIMG_20230825_085028817.jpgIMG_20230825_085045452.jpgIMG_20230825_085111398~2.jpgIMG_20230825_085054964.jpgIMG_20230825_085009024.jpg

If only the real Concorde had that much wing area. I grew up in Rosedale Queens, right next to JFK airport. I saw the actual Concorde coming in to land more times than I can count. It had a very rigid schedule because it could not afford to be in a holding pattern as by the time it hit the East Coast, the bird was running on fumes, and it had no glide ratio to speak of. Still, it was very pretty coming in. And if you were sunning yourself on Rockaway Beach, you could watch it go out over the Atlantic. But damn it was loud.

If only the real Concorde had that much wing area. I grew up in Rosedale Queens, right next to JFK airport. I saw the actual Concorde coming in to land more times than I can count. It had a very rigid schedule because it could not afford to be in a holding pattern as by the time it hit the East Coast, the bird was running on fumes, and it had no glide ratio to speak of. Still, it was very pretty coming in. And if you were sunning yourself on Rockaway Beach, you could watch it go out over the Atlantic. But damn it was loud.
It has a decent size wing, at scale even though I cheated some.

I didn't make the stinger as long since the motor inset was getting a bit awkward to install.
27cc8370902be7c3ed96a63dab1f197d.gif

Back in 2016 I did a sort of Concorde using cosmic interceptor cone and tubes with a bottom mounted wing, it flew nice but was close to 12 oz rtf. I wanted to do another one a bit better using my current lighter materials and the learnings from my others.

I tweaked my Aurora clipper wing shape a bit, removed the dihedral and used a straight spar. The wing is a low mounted through the tube/slotted type. I bevel cut the rear of the tube. The motor tube is recessed but centered requiring a groove to be sanded in the rear of the wing to allow the tube to fit under the stabilizer tab. Worked perfect.

I mounted the Servos on the bottom for appearance, but glued them together vertically in a slot through the tube/wing so they didn't stick down so far on landing. I mounted some foam blocks on the bottom of the servos to keep them from going in too far, I had to trim off the servo tabs so they would go deep enough so the arms would clear the rail which uses bottom mounted buttons.

Just waiting for stickershock air France decals to finish it. 35.5" long, 22.5" wingspan, bt-60 tubing and lightweight
Hdpe rocketarium cone. 7.56 oz rtf, so much lighter but not much smaller than my old one.
View attachment 600024View attachment 600025View attachment 600026View attachment 600027View attachment 600028View attachment 600029
Beautiful work Frank! I really like that beveled tail end.

Slotted and installed the little canards and painted and hand cut the cockpit decals..IMG_20230828_105922870~2.jpg

IMG_20230828_105943208~2.jpg
IMG_20230828_110749845~2.jpg

Last edited:
Obviously, you need to put motors under the wings! At least one each side, but two each side would enhance realism.:cool:
Based on the level of "good fortune" (not) I've seen with attempts at side mounted motors in the past, I'd say that would be a great way to simulate the final flight of Air France 4590. Now maybe a bank of Rapiers or other SU Jetex knockoffs under each wing..

Neat model there Frank.

This is a nice way to mount the wing near the bottom of the fuselage and then get the rail buttons on the back of the glider. The alternative is to glue the wings externally to the bottom, which to my way of thinking is easier to do. However, the disadvantage is that the rail buttons then need to be placed on the top side of the glider between the tail and the wing, which does not look as good when the glider is placed on the launch pad.

Latest posts

Back