Quote? What is your favorite quote?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
"Discipline is doing what you hate to do, but nonetheless doing it like you love it."​
MIKE TYSON​

The difference between misery and happiness depends on what we do with our attention.
~Sharon Salzberg

"Incompetence can look like malevolence, but it's a whole lot more common." Reacher

This is a great quote from Amazon's "Reacher" series based on the books of Lee Child. The quote didn't seem original so I did some digging and found it was often attributed to Napoleon's; "Never ascribe to malice that which can be explained by incompetence.". Turns out, that was not the case but was referring to Robert J. Hanlon of "Hanlon's Razor: Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity. circa 1980s" (my favorite). But even that was not the origin.

Seems the phrase goes back to circa 1750s in David Hume's essay on the history of religion. He wrote; "We find human faces in the moon, armies in the clouds; and by a natural propensity, if not corrected by experience and reflection, ascribe malice and good-will to every thing, that hurts or pleases us."

I think Reacher's (Lee Child) version sums it up nicely.

Good quotes. I love Reacher. It is full of funny lines and quotes.

"Nuts"
--Brigadier General Anthony McAuliffe. His response to the German surrender demand while surrounded at Bastogne.
I served with the Bastone BGE and 2/327 Infantry in Iraq. One fo the best trained units in teh Army.

"Where there's hope, there's life. It fills us with fresh courage and makes us strong again."​
ANNE FRANK​

The German generals thought so too. Their message stated (I can't come anywhere near quoting accurately) "You're surrounded, you can't possibly hold out through the winter, surrender now." And he replied "Eff you." And did hold out through the winter, and ultimately won the battle.

The German generals thought so too. Their message stated (I can't come anywhere near quoting accurately) "You're surrounded, you can't possibly hold out through the winter, surrender now." And he replied "Eff you." And did hold out through the winter, and ultimately won the battle.
So he actually won! I guess I should refrain from armchair generaling.

That sounds like a bad idea considering the that he was surrounded, but I’m not a general so I’m not going to tell him how to do his job.
But they won. You have to know your troops. The 101st were the most well-trained troops in WWII. They were close to being down but not close enough. They got some help from Patton, but ultimately, it was the 101st that won the day.

Giving up is not in the American military spirit.

View attachment 616370
I have not studied WW2 that much and it’s barely been covered by history classes i have taken ( I think it’s in the high school ones but that’s next semester) I prefer the 1800s for self study.
I had to read a lot on my own. Learning from the past will serve you well.

View attachment 616370
I have not studied WW2 that much and it’s barely been covered by history classes i have taken ( I think it’s in the high school ones but that’s next semester) I prefer the 1800s for self study.
Re-watching Band of Brothers with my wife. Tonight's episode had them about to go into Ardennes. General McAuliffe has already been mentioned in the series.

Earlier in the episode, the 101st saved the British Red Devils. It's that action that earned US Airborne troops the right to wear the maroon beret. It was an honor accorded them by the Red Devils as a "thank you" for the rescue.

"No change of circumstances can repair a defect of character."​
RALPH WALDO EMERSON​

Back in the day, I was focused on work during the week and mildly dangerous sports on weekends - specifically mountain climbing at the time - and I did without a TV set until the day came for President Nixon to step down in ignominy. So I bought a 12" B&W portable TV to see and hear his final words in office. I heard this:

"Those who hate you don't win, unless you hate them, and then you destroy yourself."

You can’t always be in the reaping stage or the harvest stage of life. Life has seasons.​

~Emma Watson

My conscience compels me to make the following declaration. In the solitude of my prison cell, I have come to the bitter recognition that I have sinned gravely against humanity. As Commandant of Auschwitz, I was responsible for carrying out part of the cruel plans of the 'Third Reich' for human destruction. In so doing I have inflicted terrible wounds on humanity. I caused unspeakable suffering for the Polish people in particular. I am to pay for this with my life. May the Lord God forgive one day what I have done. I ask the Polish people for forgiveness. In Polish prisons I experienced for the first time what human kindness is. Despite all that has happened I have experienced humane treatment which I could never have expected, and which has deeply shamed me. May the facts which are now coming out about the horrible crimes against humanity make the repetition of such cruel acts impossible for all time.
-Rudolf Höss, Auschwitz Commandant, April 12th, 1947, four days before his execution.

-Rudolf Höss, Auschwitz Commandant, April 12th, 1947, four days before his execution.
Just two years after his Fuhrer's end. I wonder how long it will take today's fascists---in every d**m country in the world; not just the US, not just the UK, not just Canada, but EVERYwhere---to make such statements. I wonder what history will say in fifty years. (Actually, I'm pretty sure what history will say.)

Back