3D Printing Prusa XL

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The alpha is pretty impressive, but I cannot figure out some things. I printed one item faster on the MK4 then the P1P by 4 minutes on a 38-minute print. Another was 22 minutes slower on a 4-hour print.
I wonder if it is an acceleration difference. The MK4IS 5.0.0-RC speed gain over MK4 4.7.2 is greater on prints with longer line segments. Alpha does not like curves.

Last edited:
I wonder if it is an acceleration difference. The MK4IS 5.0.0-RC speed gain over MK4 4.7.2 is greater on prints with longer line segments. Alpha does not like curves.

It might be. It continues in the RC.

Are the stepper motors the same? At first glance, that would be the limiting factor for how fast the printer will work. There could be other limits placed on the frame because of rigidity/flexibility (example), but the motors would be the key.

Are the stepper motors the same? At first glance, that would be the limiting factor for how fast the printer will work. There could be other limits placed on the frame because of rigidity/flexibility (example), but the motors would be the key.

The XL and Mk4 have new stepper motors that Prusa has never used before. Only on the Mk3.9, will the remain the same.

Still no word on mine. The more I hear about the firmware being unready, the more I'm wondering if I should wait for the XLS. I still don't understand what's going on as software is the one thing that can't be blamed on global supply chain issues. Maybe they lost their best programmers in the great resignation? If so, that also doesn't bode well.

Still no word on mine. The more I hear about the firmware being unready, the more I'm wondering if I should wait for the XLS. I still don't understand what's going on as software is the one thing that can't be blamed on global supply chain issues. Maybe they lost their best programmers in the great resignation? If so, that also doesn't bode well.
There is a podcast I listen to. They also are in line for the XL. I would call them anything but Prusa fanboys.
Andy, one of the co-hosts has some interesting takes on the XL. One being that Marlin firmware doesn't have as much tuning with regards to tool changing like RepRap firmware does. They also talk about there needing to have a potential prime tower for the XL...Admittedly, a lot of it is just speculation, but it's an interesting podcast as long as you can take some of what they say with a grain of salt. Andy, especially thinks very highly of himself.
Episode 491 talks about the XL some. There are also dedicated segments in their older episodes.
https://threedprintingtoday.libsyn.com/

The firmware is fine after it installs correctly. I have been printing for almost a week, nearly 24/7, and no more issues. I will chat tomorrow with help on a slight issue with my textured plate. I get a poor first layer in the aft right 5-6mms.

It might just be the textured plate. With a Hall sensor, it makes no sense.

There is a podcast I listen to. They also are in line for the XL. I would call them anything but Prusa fanboys.
Andy, one of the co-hosts has some interesting takes on the XL. One being that Marlin firmware doesn't have as much tuning with regards to tool changing like RepRap firmware does. They also talk about there needing to have a potential prime tower for the XL...Admittedly, a lot of it is just speculation, but it's an interesting podcast as long as you can take some of what they say with a grain of salt. Andy, especially thinks very highly of himself.
Episode 491 talks about the XL some. There are also dedicated segments in their older episodes.
https://threedprintingtoday.libsyn.com/
It is primarily spectulation. I printed one print that si two colors and over 24 hours. No issues.

The firmware is fine after it installs correctly. I have been printing for almost a week, nearly 24/7, and no more issues.
That's great to hear. I am anxious to get mine, but I'm guessing not for a while yet. I sent them an email yesterday (after I posted here), so we'll see if they can give me a better estimate.

That's great to hear. I am anxious to get mine, but I'm guessing not for a while yet. I sent them an email yesterday (after I posted here), so we'll see if they can give me a better estimate.
I will post more on the XL soon. I am focusing on a few Bambu vs Prusa reviews.

Did you investigate enclosures for the XL? I see there are a couple of DIY versions around, but I couldn't find anything from Prusa yet. (I print a lot of ABS so want a HEPA filter as well as the temperature stability and enclosure provides.)

Did you investigate enclosures for the XL? I see there are a couple of DIY versions around, but I couldn't find anything from Prusa yet. (I print a lot of ABS so want a HEPA filter as well as the temperature stability and enclosure provides.)
Yes. I have been a part of a discussion with several Prusa Engineers. There will likely be two enclosures - The accordion and a standard enclosure. They have been testing both and both work well. No mention of a HEPA filter but I will ask.

The biggest challenge for an enclosure is keeping the electronics outside of it. They do not want to have to alter the current setup.

I am probably going to make my own enclosure. I might do the sides out of foam board.

I just got a notice that my pre-order was ready to be finalized (IOW I had to pay). No word on when it will ship, but maybe just a few months now.

Yes. I have been a part of a discussion with several Prusa Engineers. There will likely be two enclosures - The accordion and a standard enclosure. They have been testing both and both work well. No mention of a HEPA filter but I will ask.

The biggest challenge for an enclosure is keeping the electronics outside of it. They do not want to have to alter the current setup.
My XL is apparently shipping soon. Any info on enclosures yet? (I mostly print ABS so an enclosure/filter is key.)

The 3D Up enclosure looks good, but doesn't come with a filter:
https://www.3dupfitters.com/products/prusa-xl-enclosure-acrylic-case-box-tent-kit

Just to chime in, I'm joining the XL bandwagon.

I pre-ordered an XL with 2 tool heads, but since I did that, I have reconsidered, and will upgrade to 5 tool head when I finalize the order.

Just to chime in, I'm joining the XL bandwagon.

I pre-ordered an XL with 2 tool heads, but since I did that, I have reconsidered, and will upgrade to 5 tool head when I finalize the order.
I wasn't able to change the order when I finalized mine. (I was going to upgrade to 3 tool heads so I'd have the full electronics complement.)

I wasn't able to change the order when I finalized mine. (I was going to upgrade to 3 tool heads so I'd have the full electronics complement.)
I have been printing with my two heads and rarely need to go above 2.

So I take it there is no complete enclosure for the XL yet?

It has been demoed in two version - with and without the accordion. The accodion complete enclosure with a top was shown at several recent trade shows. I have not idea if they plan to product the one without the accordion.

It has been demoed in two version - with and without the accordion. The accodion complete enclosure with a top was shown at several recent trade shows. I have not idea if they plan to product the one without the accordion.
Interesting. I guess there'll be an official one from Prusa at some point.

In the meantime, I ordered one from 3D Up with the charcoal filter. (I like the fact that it's got a small footprint and doesn't surround the back and sides.)

Interesting. I guess there'll be an official one from Prusa at some point.

In the meantime, I ordered one from 3D Up with the charcoal filter. (I like the fact that it's got a small footprint and doesn't surround the back and sides.)
That is a positive.

Back