Protecting tubular nylon shock cords

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

terryg

Reaction score
While doing an L2 certification recently, I ran across a great technique for inexpensively protecting a tubular nylon shock cord from ejection charges flames. Rather then using kevlar or nomex sleeves the flier coated the shock cord with RTV silicon glue in the area exposed to the charge. This provided flame protection and resulted in a compact, easily folded cord and worked quite well.

Last edited:
It works. I also will use a piece of foam or bubble wrap covered by a larger piece of tubular nylon or kevlar.

I use heat shrink.
Comes in multiple colors.
Made to take the heat.
Cleans up the look of the sewn loops.

Only downside is it's make the section somewhat stiff.

While doing an L2 certification recently, I ran across a great technique for inexpensively protecting a tubular nylon shock cord from ejection charges flames. Rather then using kevlar or nomex sleeves the flier coated the shock cord with RTV silicon glue in the area exposed to the charge. This provided flame protection and resulted in a compact, easily folded cord and worked quite well.

You can also use a bigger tubular nylon shock cord, which also protects very well against abrasion.

I've seen aluminum foil used also. I prefer nomex protectors just not cheap.

Back