welding blanket for parachute/shock cord protection

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RocketSquirrel

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
My LOC IV kit came with a tiny flame retardant cloth (maybe 10x10 or smaller) leaving the shock cords exposed to the ejection charge. I got a cheap welding blanket to cut up off Amazon to hold in my hands and try out (12x24") I just wanted to see what you thought, or if anyone has tried this.

I'm used to the small diameter rockets, where to separate the ejection charge -->[[[wadding]]]-->parachute/shock cord>>

Will this be something to be concerned about? Or am i overthinking it. Id like for the larger ejection charge to not melt my nylon braided shock cord..1000013170.jpg1000013173.jpg

I have seen people this and use Ironing board covers. In general, welding blankets are too Heavy (like Joe Said).

The welding blanket I've got is very thick and heavy. You can get Nomex parachute protectors from many online sources.
A 12x12 piece is 42g, you got a point.. is the shock cord even something i should be concerned about?
I have seen people this and use Ironing board covers. In general, welding blankets are too Heavy (like Joe Said).
Yeah it would add 29g for the 12×12 welding cloth. The protector it came with is 9.5×9.5, for a 4" rocket that feels too small. I got until Saturday morning to figure out something that'll work!

All my HPR rockets have nylon shock cords, single deploy and DD and none of the shock cords are compromised from the ejection charges. BUT what I do is put a few inches of dog barf above the motor or ejection charges before laying the shock cord on top of it. I have a full bail and will never use it up. The stuff is "dirty" but better than having singed cords or holes in chutes. I also use it to protect my LPR/ MPR rockets that have elastic cords by doing the same thing.

I just bought my second bale of dog barf. In larger rockets, I use it mostly to keep the d-bags and chute protectors from getting burn holes in them. It took 20 years to go through my first bale, but I suspect the second one will last less then 10 years since I'm flying bigger and bigger rockets.

I have a PML rocket that uses motor eject and has a 1" wide solid nylon strap between the MMT and piston. It feels the full ejection charge and is a little charred, but the rocket is over 20 years old and has at least 200 flights on it. The nylon strap doesn't seem to be close to failure yet. I do make sure I only use 0.5 g of powder for ejection which is fine with the piston. It certainly doesn't need the full ejection charge from Hobbyline or 29mm HPR RMS motors.

I've flown a welding blanket in a very large rocket, and the thing I noticed is that if you make a cut to hold it with the quick link, it can pretty quickly tear through without stitching to hold it. I wouldn't really recommend it.

All my HPR rockets have nylon shock cords, single deploy and DD and none of the shock cords are compromised from the ejection charges. BUT what I do is put a few inches of dog barf above the motor or ejection charges before laying the shock cord on top of it. I have a full bail and will never use it up. The stuff is "dirty" but better than having singed cords or holes in chutes. I also use it to protect my LPR/ MPR rockets that have elastic cords by doing the same thing.
Nice, i have a "bail" of rocket paper wadding, would that work? Maybe like 20-30 sheets balled up?

I just bought my second bale of dog barf. In larger rockets, I use it mostly to keep the d-bags and chute protectors from getting burn holes in them. It took 20 years to go through my first bale, but I suspect the second one will last less then 10 years since I'm flying bigger and bigger rockets.

I have a PML rocket that uses motor eject and has a 1" wide solid nylon strap between the MMT and piston. It feels the full ejection charge and is a little charred, but the rocket is over 20 years old and has at least 200 flights on it. The nylon strap doesn't seem to be close to failure yet. I do make sure I only use 0.5 g of powder for ejection which is fine with the piston. It certainly doesn't need the full ejection charge from Hobbyline or 29mm HPR RMS motors.
I believe the H motor im using came with 2g, from what i read is seemed like thats appropriate for 4" diameter. Thats actually the next thing on my list to worry about haha

Back