3D Printing Product Review: Duramic PETG

Discussion in '3-D Printing and Related topics' started by cwbullet, Jan 26, 2020.

Help Support The Rocketry Forum by donating:

1. Jan 26, 2020 #1

cwbullet

cwbullet

cwbullet

Obsessed with Rocketry Staff Member Administrator TRF Lifetime Supporter Global Mod

Duramic PETG: A top quality filament at a budget price
    This company appears to be a new kid on the block, but don’t be fooled by the fact that this is essentially a brand new company. This company has arguably the cheapest quality PETG filament on Amazon. Their website is still not set up on GoDaddy. I am always on the look for top quality filament form my 3D printers. I go through a lot of this stuff and I hate to pay 30-50 dollars a kilogram or roll. Let me tell you that you do not need to pay a premium for quality filament.

I was very cautious about the new company but bought it anyway. At $16.99 a roll, it was too good to pass up. My Prusa gobbled up the first roll and has yet to have a problem. It performed well with no tweaks to the base setting for PrusaSlicer, Cura, and Simplify3D. The print quality is on par with just about all filaments I have purchased to date with no significant defects in the prints. There were no boogers, clogging, discoloration, stringing, or tangling on the spool. The best part is I found no noticeable odor while printing.

The packaging was perfect. It comes in a sturdy box. The filament is protected from humidity by a mylar bag with a silica pack. The spool is also well constructed with a gauge sticker on both sides to give a rough estimate of what is left on the spool. The spool will definitely be reused. There is also an added benefit of a freebee in the box: a 200×200 print surface. I have yet to use it but will add it to my Prusa Mini in the future.

I consider my self pretty experienced with 3D printing. I am on a mission to find the cheapest, best quality PETG I can find. Most of what I print is for fun, but I am starting a small business to print for locals that need things made. I have been easily gone through 30 brands of filament in a year and this stuff is the best I have used thus far.

CONCLUSION:
    This stuff is the bomb! I have seen the price at $16-20 and I have not seen a filament in the price range that can match its performance. I might have a new “go-to” filament. I wish they had a wider assortment of colors at least the basics. I will buy this filament again and again. It is well worth the price on Amazon. I suggest you stroll over to Amazon to try it out.
    Link to the product:
    DURAMIC 3D PETG Printer Filament 1.75mm Black

Best Answer by charles.h13:
    Duramic PETG: A top quality filament at a budget price
    This company appears to be a new kid on the block, but don’t be fooled by the fact that this is essentially a brand new company. This company has arguably the cheapest quality PETG filament on Amazon. Their website is still not set up on GoDaddy. I am always on the look for top quality filament form my 3D printers. I go through a lot of this stuff and I hate to pay 30-50 dollars a kilogram or roll. Let me tell you that you do not need to pay a premium for quality filament.

I was very cautious about the new company but bought it anyway. At $16.99 a roll, it was too good to pass up. My Prusa gobbled up the first roll and has yet to have a problem. It performed well with no tweaks to the base setting for PrusaSlicer, Cura, and Simplify3D. The print quality is on par with just about all filaments I have purchased to date with no significant defects in the prints. There were no boogers, clogging, discoloration, stringing, or tangling on the spool. The best part is I found no noticeable odor while printing.

The packaging was perfect. It comes in a sturdy box. The filament is protected from humidity by a mylar bag with a silica pack. The spool is also well constructed with a gauge sticker on both sides to give a rough estimate of what is left on the spool. The spool will definitely be reused. There is also an added benefit of a freebee in the box: a 200×200 print surface. I have yet to use it but will add it to my Prusa Mini in the future.

I consider my self pretty experienced with 3D printing. I am on a mission to find the cheapest, best quality PETG I can find. Most of what I print is for fun, but I am starting a small business to print for locals that need things made. I have been easily gone through 30 brands of filament in a year and this stuff is the best I have used thus far.

CONCLUSION:
    This stuff is the bomb! I have seen the price at $16-20 and I have not seen a filament in the price range that can match its performance. I might have a new “go-to” filament. I wish they had a wider assortment of colors at least the basics. I will buy this filament again and again. It is well worth the price on Amazon. I suggest you stroll over to Amazon to try it out.
    Link to the product:
    DURAMIC 3D PETG Printer Filament 1.75mm Black

2. Jan 26, 2020 #2

Charles_McG

Charles_McG

Charles_McG

Ciderwright

Overture includes the build sheets, too. Is this the current lagniappe?

3. Jan 26, 2020 #3

mpitfield

mpitfield

mpitfield

Moderator Staff Member TRF Lifetime Supporter Global Mod

Great write-up Chuck! To play it safe I settled on Prusa PETG, but, I will try this one out! I wonder if the clear prints the same. I find clear and translucent filaments behave differently than solids.

4. Jan 27, 2020 #4

cwbullet

cwbullet

cwbullet

Obsessed with Rocketry Staff Member Administrator TRF Lifetime Supporter Global Mod

I have not tried the clear but will, I am working on a write up for Overture also.

5. Jan 27, 2020 #5

REK

REK

REK

Sponsor TRF Sponsor

Thank you sharing cwbullet, by any chance is there a way to find out if this spool is compatible with a Makerbot Replicator plus? I am taking a 3D printing class and I helping my teacher find cheap sources of filament that is compatible with the makerbot replicator plus.

Thank you

6. Jan 27, 2020 #6

cwbullet

cwbullet

cwbullet

It should be compatible with the Makerbot Replicator.

Is there a difference in the spools?

Last edited: Jan 27, 2020
  7. Jan 27, 2020 #7

REK

REK

REK

Sponsor TRF Sponsor

I am uncertain if they are different. I know some spools are wider and wont fit in the replictor.

8. Jan 27, 2020 #8

cwbullet

cwbullet

cwbullet

This spool is a standard spool similar to Hatchbox.

9. Jan 27, 2020 #9

jbr

jbr

jbr

amazon basic petg was $19, now $23
    I have used 20kg of it

10. Jan 28, 2020 #10

cwbullet

cwbullet

cwbullet