3D Printing Product Review: Duramic PETG

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cwbullet

Obsessed with Rocketry
Staff member
Administrator
Global Mod
Reaction score
Duramic PETG: A top quality filament at a budget price
This company appears to be a new kid on the block, but don’t be fooled by the fact that this is essentially a brand new company. This company has arguably the cheapest quality PETG filament on Amazon. Their website is still not set up on GoDaddy. I am always on the look for top quality filament form my 3D printers. I go through a lot of this stuff and I hate to pay 30-50 dollars a kilogram or roll. Let me tell you that you do not need to pay a premium for quality filament.

I was very cautious about the new company but bought it anyway. At $16.99 a roll, it was too good to pass up. My Prusa gobbled up the first roll and has yet to have a problem. It performed well with no tweaks to the base setting for PrusaSlicer, Cura, and Simplify3D. The print quality is on par with just about all filaments I have purchased to date with no significant defects in the prints. There were no boogers, clogging, discoloration, stringing, or tangling on the spool. The best part is I found no noticeable odor while printing.

The packaging was perfect. It comes in a sturdy box. The filament is protected from humidity by a mylar bag with a silica pack. The spool is also well constructed with a gauge sticker on both sides to give a rough estimate of what is left on the spool. The spool will definitely be reused. There is also an added benefit of a freebee in the box: a 200×200 print surface. I have yet to use it but will add it to my Prusa Mini in the future.

I consider my self pretty experienced with 3D printing. I am on a mission to find the cheapest, best quality PETG I can find. Most of what I print is for fun, but I am starting a small business to print for locals that need things made. I have been easily gone through 30 brands of filament in a year and this stuff is the best I have used thus far.

CONCLUSION:
This stuff is the bomb! I have seen the price at $16-20 and I have not seen a filament in the price range that can match its performance. I might have a new “go-to” filament. I wish they had a wider assortment of colors at least the basics. I will buy this filament again and again. It is well worth the price on Amazon. I suggest you stroll over to Amazon to try it out.
Link to the product:
DURAMIC 3D PETG Printer Filament 1.75mm Black

Best Answer by charles.h13:
Duramic PETG: A top quality filament at a budget price
This company appears to be a new kid on the block, but don’t be fooled by the fact that this is essentially a brand new company. This company has arguably the cheapest quality PETG filament on Amazon. Their website is still not set up on GoDaddy. I am always on the look for top quality filament form my 3D printers. I go through a lot of this stuff and I hate to pay 30-50 dollars a kilogram or roll. Let me tell you that you do not need to pay a premium for quality filament.

I was very cautious about the new company but bought it anyway. At $16.99 a roll, it was too good to pass up. My Prusa gobbled up the first roll and has yet to have a problem. It performed well with no tweaks to the base setting for PrusaSlicer, Cura, and Simplify3D. The print quality is on par with just about all filaments I have purchased to date with no significant defects in the prints. There were no boogers, clogging, discoloration, stringing, or tangling on the spool. The best part is I found no noticeable odor while printing.

The packaging was perfect. It comes in a sturdy box. The filament is protected from humidity by a mylar bag with a silica pack. The spool is also well constructed with a gauge sticker on both sides to give a rough estimate of what is left on the spool. The spool will definitely be reused. There is also an added benefit of a freebee in the box: a 200×200 print surface. I have yet to use it but will add it to my Prusa Mini in the future.

I consider my self pretty experienced with 3D printing. I am on a mission to find the cheapest, best quality PETG I can find. Most of what I print is for fun, but I am starting a small business to print for locals that need things made. I have been easily gone through 30 brands of filament in a year and this stuff is the best I have used thus far.

CONCLUSION:
This stuff is the bomb! I have seen the price at $16-20 and I have not seen a filament in the price range that can match its performance. I might have a new “go-to” filament. I wish they had a wider assortment of colors at least the basics. I will buy this filament again and again. It is well worth the price on Amazon. I suggest you stroll over to Amazon to try it out.
Link to the product:
DURAMIC 3D PETG Printer Filament 1.75mm Black

Great write-up Chuck! To play it safe I settled on Prusa PETG, but, I will try this one out! I wonder if the clear prints the same. I find clear and translucent filaments behave differently than solids.

I have not tried the clear but will, I am working on a write up for Overture also.

Thank you sharing cwbullet, by any chance is there a way to find out if this spool is compatible with a Makerbot Replicator plus? I am taking a 3D printing class and I helping my teacher find cheap sources of filament that is compatible with the makerbot replicator plus.

Thank you

It should be compatible with the Makerbot Replicator.

Is there a difference in the spools?

Last edited:
amazon basic petg was $19, now $23
I have used 20kg of it

@cwbullet, or others, just wondering if anyone else with plenty of experience with PETg has had any good or bad experience with MatterHackers "Blue PRO Series PETG Filament - 3.00mm (1kg)". While I have generally had excellent results with PETg's, this one was a challenge for me. I used up about 1/2 the spool on test and calibration prints. Yes, I properly use a filament dryer.

The raw filament acted "brittle", i.e. if I wasn't careful in loading the filament and bent it very far, it would snap. Retractions were horrible. It didn't tolerate many cycles on a short section before turning to powder and stopping. I mostly gave up on retraction with this stuff and only relied on combing and coasting. Almost every print required a "rework" pass with a propane torch to get rid of the extreme stringing. Beyond that, the prints were good and strong if one could tolerate the stringing remnants...

I've generally had great results with MatterHackers "stuff" so I'm expecting I just got a bad batch. Again, I'd just like to see if anyone here has either good or bad experience with this filament.

I'm glad to hear the favorable review of Duramic as I've been anxious to try Overture (... hopefully, the same stuff...). I'm down to my last few spools of Chroma Strand Labs Inova-2008. I almost "couldn't go wrong" with that stuff. I'm sad that it's no longer made.

Sorry for the intrusion in your thread. I wasn't planning to hijack. Thank you.

@dandreat Afraid I can't answer your question, still a rookie with PETG. But I just got 3 colors of Duramic based on various good reports including Chuck's, and I'm all teed up to put on a new Micro Swiss plated steel 0.4 nozzle and starting printing the heck out of it. The Amazon price was $22-24 depending on color as of a couple of weeks ago. Hoping it works out, since you can take a PETG print outdoors in the desert and not have to worry about it melting. I'm planning to start with the (Windex-cleaned) smooth steel flex plate on the Mk3S; if I want the textured look I'll probably want to get the Prusa textured mag plate. Thinking of other uses for the Duramic surface since it looks like I'm going to end up with several :)

@cwbullet, or others, just wondering if anyone else with plenty of experience with PETg has had any good or bad experience with MatterHackers "Blue PRO Series PETG Filament - 3.00mm (1kg)". While I have generally had excellent results with PETg's, this one was a challenge for me. I used up about 1/2 the spool on test and calibration prints. Yes, I properly use a filament dryer.

The raw filament acted "brittle", i.e. if I wasn't careful in loading the filament and bent it very far, it would snap. Retractions were horrible. It didn't tolerate many cycles on a short section before turning to powder and stopping. I mostly gave up on retraction with this stuff and only relied on combing and coasting. Almost every print required a "rework" pass with a propane torch to get rid of the extreme stringing. Beyond that, the prints were good and strong if one could tolerate the stringing remnants...

I've generally had great results with MatterHackers "stuff" so I'm expecting I just got a bad batch. Again, I'd just like to see if anyone here has either good or bad experience with this filament.

I'm glad to hear the favorable review of Duramic as I've been anxious to try Overture (... hopefully, the same stuff...). I'm down to my last few spools of Chroma Strand Labs Inova-2008. I almost "couldn't go wrong" with that stuff. I'm sad that it's no longer made.

Sorry for the intrusion in your thread. I wasn't planning to hijack. Thank you.

No issues with Matterhackers. I have used the Pro Blue but I have used plenty of the Pros and plenty their PETGs from them.

Maybe you got a bad roll.

I have gotten 100% success with Duramic with no Jams.

I’ve been using the Overture PETG with no issues - but now it looks like it’s gone again. Both Amazon and the Overture website show little inventory. Amazon is showing in Amazonbasics PETG returning in about 10 days.

I’ve been using the Overture PETG with no issues - but now it looks like it’s gone again. Both Amazon and the Overture website show little inventory. Amazon is showing in Amazonbasics PETG returning in about 10 days.

I really think Overture and Amazon Basics may be made by the same company.

Kind of new to all of this, as you all know. So why use PETG over PLA?

It's slightly more flexible and less brittle than PLA. Not as flexible as ABS. It prints nearly as easily as PLA even without a heated bed (that's its reputation, I haven't tried it.) and essentially odorless. The caveat is that you have to slow down and tinker with retraction, coasting, combing and wall/infill order to reduce stringing.

For our purposes the important bit is that it resoftens at a higher temp than PLA, so is less prone to slumping and drooping in the hot sun.

PETG is less likely to flex and droop at a temp of 95 degrees.
It's slightly more flexible and less brittle than PLA. Not as flexible as ABS. It prints nearly as easily as PLA even without a heated bed (that's its reputation, I haven't tried it.) and essentially odorless. The caveat is that you have to slow down and tinker with retraction, coasting, combing and wall/infill order to reduce stringing.

For our purposes the important bit is that it resoftens at a higher temp than PLA, so is less prone to slumping and drooping in the hot sun.

ABS is not flexible.

Got my first layer calibration done with the Duramic - had to set the Z down pretty close to get it to stick going around the corners on the Prusa test pattern - and started up a print. Looks pretty good so far for a first attempt, verdict in the morning. No noticeable stringiness; not sure if the more pointy steel nozzle + sock helped, but they certainly didn't hurt. I noticed that the Prusa temperature profile for PETG starts at 230/80 and then goes up to 240/90 after it gets going. I'm using the stock slicer and Mk3S firmware settings for PETG, no fiddling required.

Got my first layer calibration done with the Duramic - had to set the Z down pretty close to get it to stick going around the corners on the Prusa test pattern - and started up a print. Looks pretty good so far for a first attempt, verdict in the morning. No noticeable stringiness; not sure if the more pointy steel nozzle + sock helped, but they certainly didn't hurt. I noticed that the Prusa temperature profile for PETG starts at 230/80 and then goes up to 240/90 after it gets going. I'm using the stock slicer and Mk3S firmware settings for PETG, no fiddling required.

Same results from me. On roll number 3.

Back