Pro Series Goblin

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bruiser

Reaction score
Well sort of... It started off as a Pro Series Der Big Red Max

I had a piece of body tube that was 5 inches long and that worked out really well but I covered that in another post.

I used the cardboard centering rings that came with the kit and in this pic you can also see the mount for the lower rail button
Goblin Mid Centering Ring and Lower Rail Mount.jpg

I used a knee-high for the quasi-glass on this one. I applied one coat of water based poly followed by two applications of Z-Poxy finishing resin. I think the knee high was a little thicker than the Silken Mist nylons I used on the Cuda and Peregrine missiles
Goblin Tube Knee Highed.jpg

I added a 1/4" laundry shelf with an eyebolt to anchor the recovery harness. You can also see the upper rail button mount in the pic
Goblin Laundry Shelf and Upper Rail Mount.jpg

The fins are of 1/8th ply and I added a coat of Z-Poxy finishing resin to them.
Goblin Fins Resined.jpg

I printed up a fin guide from payloadbay.com and epoxied on the fins
Goblin Fin Guide.jpg

Starting to look like a rocket
Goblin Fins On.jpg

Next was the paint. The primer is Rustoleum 2 in 1 Filler and Sandable primer with Krylon Industrial Acryli-Quik lacquer. I scanned the decals, enlarged them and made paint masks from them on the Cricut Maker. Everything is paint, no decals on this one. I went with the original placement/orientation based from K-Tesh's file number 14.
Goblin Painted.jpg

Still have the recovery system to do. I seem to have run out of Pro Series shock cords and parachutes. Gonna have to place an order before October :)

Overall, it was a very relaxing build which is what I hoped for after building the Cuda and Peregrine. I am happy with the results.

Now to decide what to build next...

-Bob

K'Tesh,

Your Open Rocket files have helped me (and I'm sure many others) in so many ways! Thank you for them!

-Bob

Here is the Goblin on the pad at the monthly launch today

Goblin on Pad.jpg

She flew on a Aerotech F67-6. I had two "no-ignitions" and I almost packed it up. I decided to try another motor and off it went! The flight wasn't to high (especially compared to the 3 level one certs and 12 level two certs today) but it was a nice flight. There was a little spin and the delay was perfect with the deployment happening right at apogee. It was a bit breezy but I had the JLCR set for 400 feet so it didn't drift to far at all.

-Bob

The body tube is 20.5 inches.

I have an Aerotech 29/40-120 that I bought last Black Friday. I haven't used it yet but I think this Goblin might be it's first rocket

-BOb

Well sort of... It started off as a Pro Series Der Big Red Max

I had a piece of body tube that was 5 inches long and that worked out really well but I covered that in another post.

I used the cardboard centering rings that came with the kit and in this pic you can also see the mount for the lower rail button
View attachment 468296

I used a knee-high for the quasi-glass on this one. I applied one coat of water based poly followed by two applications of Z-Poxy finishing resin. I think the knee high was a little thicker than the Silken Mist nylons I used on the Cuda and Peregrine missiles
View attachment 468298

I added a 1/4" laundry shelf with an eyebolt to anchor the recovery harness. You can also see the upper rail button mount in the pic
View attachment 468295

The fins are of 1/8th ply and I added a coat of Z-Poxy finishing resin to them.
View attachment 468294

I printed up a fin guide from payloadbay.com and epoxied on the fins
View attachment 468292

Starting to look like a rocket
View attachment 468293

Next was the paint. The primer is Rustoleum 2 in 1 Filler and Sandable primer with Krylon Industrial Acryli-Quik lacquer. I scanned the decals, enlarged them and made paint masks from them on the Cricut Maker. Everything is paint, no decals on this one. I went with the original placement/orientation based from K-Tesh's file number 14.
View attachment 468297

Still have the recovery system to do. I seem to have run out of Pro Series shock cords and parachutes. Gonna have to place an order before October :)

Overall, it was a very relaxing build which is what I hoped for after building the Cuda and Peregrine. I am happy with the results.

Now to decide what to build next...

-Bob

Nice work. I have been kicking around a 3" Goblin. Once my Big Red Max is finished I might need to make that a reality.

I too have a Cricut. What are you using to make the masking?

I thought that rocket looked familiar. My red LOC Deployer was on pad 61 right next to you yesterday. Your flight was pretty nice, very good looking rocket.
I agree that the wind was a bit breezy. Some of the certification candidates had very long walks.

Back_At_It, I would probably just buy the nose cone and body tube from Estes if I built another. I didn't use much out of the DBRM kit. I just used some of the cricut stencil vinyl. I think I have some oracal stencil vinyl that works well too

epflyer, Thank you, there you are on 61. You have a great flight as well. Much higher than mine :)

A Launch.jpg

-Bob

Maybe you mentioned this and I missed it ? You said this started as a Der Big Red Max. Did you replace the main tube since the Goblin has 4 fins ?

Goblin Tube Knee Highed.jpg

Since the DBRM body tube wasn't long enough I extended it by adding a piece of tube to the rear. I used a 4" long Estes coupler to join them together. I filled in the DBRM fin slots with some cardboard and the coupler acted as a "backer" for a portion of the filler pieces. Then the filler pieces were also reinforced when I glassed the nylon leg over the outside of the joined body tubes.

It'd be much easier to just by the 031799 - Pro Series II™ 3" OD Body Tube and trim it to whatever length you are good with. When you upscale it you'll have to decide if you want to come out with the "correct" overall length or not. If you measure the original body tube and multiply by the "scaling" factor to get the correct body tube length your rocket will be taller than the "correct" overall length. This is because the nose cone is actually longer than it should be for the upscale.

-Bob

A build like this is on my list. Another member has very kindly donated a crashed DBRM nose cone to the cause and I bought a bunch of 3-in BT and couplers on my BF Estes order.

Did you use the Acryli-Quik Crystal Clear over the color coats?

I was thinking I'd run the shorter BT and just make the lower part of the nose cone yellow so I have the correctly upscaled length of black nose cone and overall length. Anyone else do it that way?

I don't think I clear coated this one at all. I have not tried Acryli-quik clear. I don't think I have ever seen it. I have been getting my paint from Grainger.

I have used Krylon crystal Clear from Hobby Lobby on other rockets. You have to be careful with it. very light, dry coats at first.

-Bob

Time to resurrect an old thread but it's the right time of year for this :)

I dusted off my 3" Goblin that I built using all pro series parts (most from a Big Red Der Max kit). Estes and I must have used the same calculator because mine is the same size as their new release.

Anyway, flew it at the launch Saturday for it's second flight. This time I used an Aerotech F53FJ-7 reload and I gotta say it's like it was the perfect pairing. The burn wasn't real long and I got worried about the 7 second delay but it just kept going and going. Chute deployed just after apogee and the JLCR released at 400 feet for a perfect flight

Goblin Launch 21Oct23.jpg
Goblin Recovery 21Oct23.jpg

I also launched it's little buddy, my Gooney Ghost. I didn't get it finished in time for last year's Halloween launch so this was it's first trip skyward and the flight was great on a B6-4. I don't think I did a build thread on it but it was inspired by a free rocket plan from Apogee called the Friendly Phantasm (peak of Flight Newsletter 582). It's built from a Baby Bertha kit with hand cut fins.
Gooney Ghost Launch 21Oct23.jpg
Gooney Ghost Recovery 21Oct23.jpg

Anyways, hope everyone is doing good and enjoying the cooler weather,
-Bob

It builds just like a Baby Bertha so while not a snap together, it's not too hard either

-Bob

Back