Post a pic that makes you LOL

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
In any electronics application the cylindrical object is called a capacitor. In automotive apllications it is called a “condenser”. Why?
They were called condenser in 1910, when the Model T used one, the name stuck. Other electronics literature of that era refers to condensers. So now I wonder, when did the name change?

They were called condenser in 1910, when the Model T used one, the name stuck. Other electronics literature of that era refers to condensers. So now I wonder, when did the name change?
Back in the 1960's, I was studying analog electronics, making my own radios and audio amplifiers. Many of the resources at that time seemed to use capacitor and condenser interchangeably.

Of course, that was back in the days when frequency units were cps (cycles per second)....

Hans.

In any electronics application the cylindrical object is called a capacitor. In automotive apllications it is called a “condenser”. Why?
Because the auto industry is WAAAY behind the times. They used to be called "condensers" in all applications. When the electrical and electronics industries decided that "capacitor" was better, the auto industry refused to go along.

And only 2? For grilling a nice ribeye?

Umm, $20. Assuming it's a good size steak, and it certainly appears to be well marbled, that's a good deal even if I throw out the lousy beer.
Oh, I see; you meant only two beers, not only only two dollars. Who has two thumbs and is a dumbass? I thought you'd misplaced the decimal point.

Apparently condenser is the historical term and was intentionally replaced to avoid confusion with steam condensers, starting in the 1920s in the UK. The German term is still "Kondensator" for both the electronic component as well as (steam) condensers.

Reinhard
Aha! I think that's it. And, in that era, inductors were drawn like springs... By analogy.

Aha! I think that's it. And, in that era, inductors were drawn like springs... By analogy.
And they still are, at least by some of us. But they were just called coils (and the auto industry refused to give that up too). I suppose both name shifts probably came at about the same time, as both present names correspond to the parts' electromagnetic properties: Capacitance → capacitor and inductance → inductor. That seems like the kind of alignment that would be undertaken simultaneously.

Pizza on a pineapple. I didn't make this, don't ban me.

View attachment 625897
I bet its great!

The problem I have with 'pizza' is that I think it should be a concept, not a product. Earlier this week, we had home-made mushroom, onion and green pepper pizza on thin crust. Loved it.

A local company does a pistachio pizza. Love it.

Another does a hamburger pizza with ketchup and mustard as the sauce. Love it.

Yet another does a New Mexico pizza with black beans as the base. Love it.

Every one of these things are somewhat exclusive of the other as far as taste goes. The biggest common denominator is bread/crust on bottom, cheese on top. I'm OK with calling that pizza and I'm OK (also slightly hungry now. . . ) to eat any of them.

Your post is not something I'd necessarily call pizza, but I'd grab a fork/spoon and dig in and probably love it!!!!

I bet its great!

The problem I have with 'pizza' is that I think it should be a concept, not a product. Earlier this week, we had home-made mushroom, onion and green pepper pizza on thin crust. Loved it.

A local company does a pistachio pizza. Love it.

Another does a hamburger pizza with ketchup and mustard as the sauce. Love it.

Yet another does a New Mexico pizza with black beans as the base. Love it.

Every one of these things are somewhat exclusive of the other as far as taste goes. The biggest common denominator is bread/crust on bottom, cheese on top. I'm OK with calling that pizza and I'm OK (also slightly hungry now. . . ) to eat any of them.

Your post is not something I'd necessarily call pizza, but I'd grab a fork/spoon and dig in and probably love it!!!!
We used to get beef and blackbean sauce pizza. The pizza shop was next to a Chinese restaurant. Tasted great.

Back