Phelps in History!!!

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ben

Reaction score
Man, watched Phelps get his 10th 11th 12th and now 13th Gold on the relay. They broke the WR and first ever to get under 7min!!!

Go Team USA!!

Ben

::sigh::

This is the one time it really sucks to be on the West Coast. The broadcast didn't start here until 8:00 pm PST, where they showed diving first followed by volleyball. Sucks that after 6:00 pm pst I have to avoid any and all forms of media if I want to actually be surprised like the rest of the world does.

Glad he did it. Wish I could have seen it and been surprised like everyone else.

I saw it and im Central time... maybe this is a good reason to get satelite, or multi-channel sports channels.

2 more Golds and 2 more WRs....including crushing the 4x200 free relay by over 3 1/2 seconds! Unbelievable.

Man, watched Phelps get his 10th 11th 12th and now 13th Gold on the relay. They broke the WR and first ever to get under 7min!!!

You might want to re-check your math. Phelps has 11 Golds, 13 total medals. #10 in Butterfly and #11 in free relay tonight. You must have some premonition powers. How'd you see Phelps swim 4 times today?

I saw it and im Central time... maybe this is a good reason to get satelite, or multi-channel sports channels.

We have direct TV. The additional channels they are providing are showing boxing and something else.

I think we're the only ones on a tape delay. 7:00 pm here is 10:00 am over there, aka 10:00 pm east coast time.

You might want to re-check your math. Phelps has 11 Golds, 13 total medals. #10 in Butterfly and #11 in free relay tonight. You must have some premonition powers. How'd you see Phelps swim 4 times today?

Double vision....
:D

Congrats to Phelps!!! This is phenominal!

Unfortunately, I also read the Mark Spitz wasn't present to congratulate him. Reason was "no one invited (him)." I would've love to see the past pass on to the present.

Congrats to Phelps!!! This is phenominal!

Unfortunately, I also read the Mark Spitz wasn't present to congratulate him. Reason was "no one invited (him)." I would've love to see the past pass on to the present.

I told my wife two days ago that you can be sure that Phelps and Spitz will be "doing lunch" one day real soon.

HEHe WHOOPS!!! I bet he will get 13 of them!

Ben

Amazing. I was on the swim team for two and a half years (well...I kind of unofficially quit due to laziness but I might join again next season). Makes me laugh how I compare to Phelps.:lol: The amount of training Phelps went through must be crazy.

Today on the radio they said most of the Olympic swimmers spend 5-6 hours in the pool every day. I have also heard that Phelps spends a fair amount of time in the gym when he's not in the water.

Oh yeah, and he eats about 13,000 calories a day (a normal adult needs 2,000) just to keep up...

He swims an average of 50 miles a week, so he certainly needs those calories.

I remember when I used to be a swimmer- I used to come home and just scarf down anything and everything in sight! And that was without putting in nearly the yardage that guy does!

Ditto. And I thought my swim practices were tiring (kind of). We had to swim an average of about 1-2 kilometers every practice. 50 miles a week is just insane. I'd be dead by the end of the week.

Ditto. And I thought my swim practices were tiring (kind of). We had to swim an average of about 1-2 kilometers every practice. 50 miles a week is just insane. I'd be dead by the end of the week.

Amazing. I was on the swim team for two and a half years (well...I kind of unofficially quit due to laziness but I might join again next season). Makes me laugh how I compare to Phelps.:lol: The amount of training Phelps went through must be crazy.
You're not Phelps since you have time for rockets. I hope you go back but don't over do it.

My daughter swam on a Y swim team for 12 years, and I've been a Y swim official for 10 years. Many parents and coaches forget that 99% of their swimmers have a life outside the pool, and won't swim competetively beyond high school. Swimming's one of the best ways to stay in shape, but I've seen far too many good young swimmers quit because they were pushed too hard at a young age.

For average swimmers, practices have adjusted by age and talent or the swimmer looses interest, burns out and then drops out. A reasonable practice schedule for the aveage swimmer might be:

For kids 8 and under, manditory practice sessions should not exceed 1 hour, and shouldn't be more than 3 days a week.

For kids 9 and 10, manditory practice sessions should not exceed 1.5 hours, and shouldn't be more than 3 days a week.

For kids 11 and 12, manditory practice sessions should not exceed 2 hours, and shouldn't be more than 3 days a week.

For kids 13 and 15, manditory practice sessions should not exceed 2 hours, and shouldn't be more than 4 days a week.

For kids 16 and 18, manditory practice sessions should not exceed 2 hours, and shouldn't be more than 5 days a week.

The Y programs are not usually as competitive as USA swimming which is extremely competitive at all age groups, and typically have 1-2 day meets almost every weekend. USA teams tend to have daily practices, and without some restraints, the average swimmer will get burned out in a year or two since they have no life outside the pool, and never get to the finals in a big meet. Good swimmers will get better with age but have to be self-motivated and really want to go to practice.

By the time a good swimmer reaches high school, if they are in condition they can probably swim 3,000 yards per hour without excessive effort (120 lengths SCY pool). An hour of laps followed by an hour of technique training is a good workout without being excessive. If you don't do the laps, you won't build up the endurance required for all out racing, and if you don't practice the technique you'll never be competitive because you won't be fast and/or you will get hurt.

Once you get to collegiate or olympic level swimming, swimming is your life and you live in the pool. I believe that college swimmers are limited to 20 hours a week practice by NCAA rules (after all they are still students), however for Olympic swimmers it's their job so they practice at least 40 hours a week. These folks usually swim two sessions a day, typically a morning session for endurance and strength, and an afternoon session for stroke and technique. Typical workouts would total 12,000 to 18,000 yards a day with a taper down to 5,000 to 10,000 yards a day as major competions approach. These folks are highly focused super human machines and really enjoy it. Us mere mortal would die if we tried this even once.

Bob

Yeah. I never over did it. I usually went to practice for 2-3 hours (can't remember) for around two times a week.

A buddy of mine (Brian Alden) was one of the best highschool swimmers in the country this last year. He hasn't lost a race since sophmore year and he consistently swims the 100 freestyle in under 50 seconds (48 is a good olympic pace). He probobly will be in the Olympics in 4 years if he continues his training at Penn State... but I know that he's not in the pool excessively and leads a well balanced life. Much like what Bob is talking about. Maybe 2 hours a day for 5 days of the week.

A buddy of mine (Brian Alden) was the best highschool swimmer in the country this last year. He hasn't lost a race since sophmore year and he consistently swims the 100 freestyle in under 50 seconds (48 is a good olympic pace). He probobly will be in the Olympics in 4 years if he continues his training at Penn State... but I know that he's not in the pool excessively and leads a well balanced life. Much like what Bob is talking about. Maybe 2 hours a day for 5 days of the week.
Brian's a very good swimmer.

At 17 he swam the 3rd fastest SCY 50 free (20.10) and the 11th fasted SCY 100 free (44.86) in his age group during the 2006-2007 season. His best time this year in the SCY 50 free was 20.16 which rank him 7th in his age group and 92nd overall in the country in 2997-2008. For comparison, Phelps's best time at Brain's age was 20.15, so he's got a lot of potential.

Olympic pools are 50 meters, not 25 yards like high school. Brian's best time converts to ~23.26 LCM 50 free time, and the current American record is 21.59 and the world record is 21.28 so your friend's got a lot of hard work ahead of him to make the 2112 Olympics but he's still young so it's a real possibility.

Bob

So I was griping about how it seemed that the rest of the world got to see the events unfold as they happened, except us on the west coat. Well, that was almost true. It's only Eastern and Central time zones that get it live. Mountain and Pacific time zones get it several hours after the fact:

https://sports.yahoo.com/olympics/b...s-with-the-word-quot-live-quot?urn=oly,100556

And it looks like NBC still isn't totally convinced that they should show Phelps' possible record breaking 8th race live to all time zones or not:

https://sports.yahoo.com/olympics/b...s-last-race-be-shown-live-all-?urn=oly,100598

Looks like Phelps is going for his 6th gold medal for this year.:congrats:

Most excellent!

I just finished watching #6 on the DVR. Definitely an amazing accomplishment.

I'd be willing to bet that I know EXACTLY what the cover picture of Sports Illustrated/ESPN magazine will be when they cover the Olympics...

Can anyone guess?! :p

I'd be willing to bet that I know EXACTLY what the cover picture of Sports Illustrated/ESPN magazine will be when they cover the Olympics...

Can anyone guess?! :p

Since nobody took a guess, I got impatient :p I think something on the order of this image is what will make the cover of SI/ESPN.

OB-CA391_0811ph_20080811000328.jpg

Since nobody took a guess, I got impatient :p I think something on the order of this image is what will make the cover of SI/ESPN.

OB-CA391_0811ph_20080811000328.jpg

Wow. That picture's insane.:surprised:

I wouldn't be surprised at the number of people who would want a body like that. Muscles sculpted from solid rock...

SPOILER ALERT:

Congrats again to Michael Phelps for out-touching his opponent and winning tonight's race by .01 seconds!

Unfortunately it wasn't another world record, but it was an Olympic record, and he did tie Mark Spitz's record as earning the most gold medals at one single games. Tomorrow history could be made!!

Wow. That picture's insane.:surprised:

I wouldn't be surprised at the number of people who would want a body like that.

I wouldn't mind a body like that. He's way too young for me though.;):rotflol:

I sure wouldn't want to be cooking his daily meals though. Did you see what that kid eats??!!

12,000 calories a day.

Breakfast: Three fried-egg sandwiches loaded with cheese, lettuce, tomatoes, fried onions and mayonnaise. Two cups of coffee. One five-egg omelet. One bowl of grits. Three slices of French toast topped with powdered sugar. Three chocolate-chip pancakes.

Lunch: One pound of enriched pasta. Two large ham and cheese sandwiches with mayo on white bread. Energy drinks packing 1,000 calories.

Dinner: One pound of pasta. An entire pizza. More energy drinks.

Back