Pershin1A nose cones

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

What size Pershing 1A do you want?

• BT-50 for $8.00 each

• BT-60 for $9.00 each

• BT-70 for $16.00 each

• BT-80 for $24.00 each

Results are only viewable after voting.
Out of curiosity, does anyone have a source for the Fins and Bases for this Bird. Even JimZ & Ye Olde Rocket Plans do not have any fin patterns. Anything other than your Rocksim plan, sandman? I and others are going to be looking for this information, I'm sure.

I have a few of the BT-80, BT-100 and BT-101 cones already made up and ready to ship.

I haven't recieved word on the machine made BT-70 and BT-60 cones yet from my supplier but I could make those as needed.

I have the "scale" fins drawn out in CAD but converting them "loses" something.

I can email them to anyone with a CAD reader. They are available online.

I have made probably 35 of these nose cones.

I haven't seen anything built yet!:mad:

Originally posted by grog
I built a BT80 size Pershing in 2000 using the plan set sold by MaxQ Rocketry at the time. I've attached a photo. Flies great. The top part of the nose cone is balsa, made by BMS. The rest is paper shroud. An all balsa nose cone wil be nice. I'll see if I can dig up the plan set. I don't know whatever happened to MaxQ Rocketry. Anybody know?

Greg

I finally located the plan set in my basement. Does anyone know what ever happened to MaxQ Rocketry? Would it be okay for me to scan the plans and post? I'm not sure if that would be okay.

Just received my BT-80 version, and I'm very impressed!!! Scale drawings for the fins as well!

Two orders from Sandman so far, and two extremely positive experiences!

Thanks Sandman!

So...has anyone built a Pershing with one of my cones yet?

I sure sent a bunch of them out!

I'd build one but I'm trying to get the LTV Scouts finished.

I have a few cones ready made and ready to ship.

BT-100 sized for the Lauchpad kits (c'mon, eugene, you know you need one!)

BT-80

and BT-70

Originally posted by sandman
I have a few cones ready made and ready to ship.

BT-100 sized for the Lauchpad kits (c'mon, eugene, you know you need one!)

BT-80

and BT-70

Yes, I do need one. My rocketry collection is currently in boxes until we move into our new house. That won't be til August sometime. :( To add insult to injury, we don't have a flying field nearby and my interest in photography equipment grows exponentially. :( :( I'm conflicted!

Has anyone asked for a Pershing II cone yet Gordon? I see plenty of the 1A missiles being built, hardly ever a PII. There are some decent photos for the Pershing 2 and I may consider scratch building one in the near future. Ideally, I'd like to do a BT80 version, but I'd settle for a BT70 or a 18mm BT60 version if it became too much of an expense.

pershing_2_07 cropped.jpg

Has anyone asked for a Pershing II cone yet Gordon?

No one has asked, yet.

I am hampered by lack of documentation drawings on the Pershing II.

I could extrapolate the data from the photo but I can't guarantee it's accuracy.

Let me work on that.

I'm not super picky about it being exact scale as long as the proportions look about right. Not going to go hog wild on detail either, just the obvious stuff. If the 1a is a good flyer, then this design should do very well also. Here's another photo from the Redstone.army.mil page. I like the orange and yellow trim on the Pershing II, may have to see if Phred can do anything with the photos, perhaps he can just modify the ones he's already got for the 1a.

Are you guys aware that the short version shown in Sandman's drawing was an experimental one-stage version of the PII?

That is starting from the first transition and for the BT80, I take it. I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong here, I was thinking between 10-11 inches, but I'll take your word for it. You have the experience, as I have none. What would the smaller sizes be like? Do you mind sharing how you arrive at those lengths, I'm obviously not doing something right here.:confused:

Originally posted by powderburner
Are you guys aware that the short version shown in Sandman's drawing was an experimental one-stage version of the PII?

Yeah, we want the long bus, not the short one. :D

edit:
I get about 15" length fo the BT 80, and around 11 inches from the transition on up. Just a rough guestimate of course, again with the disclaimer that I've never tried to scale a rocket from scratch..

The forebody and re-entry vehicle was the same hardware on the 'shorty' as was used on the standard PII. They just left out the second stage of the missile.

I was just pointing that out in case you used Sandman's 10.something-inch dimension for the BT length of the shorter missile. The NC shape will be the exact same thing for whatever version you build.

Originally posted by powderburner
The forebody and re-entry vehicle was the same hardware on the 'shorty' as was used on the standard PII. They just left out the second stage of the missile.

I was just pointing that out in case you used Sandman's 10.something-inch dimension for the BT length of the shorter missile. The NC shape will be the exact same thing for whatever version you build.

Thanks for the heads up PB, yeah the 2 stage version is what I was looking at doing, those are the ones I posted links to.

Apparantly there were two two stage versions.

One used the Pershing 1a base.

There are a lot of pictures but none of them are captioned.

Looks good so far Gordon. Here is a link to some of the basic specs...you may have them already.
Pershing II info

I still thought the cone section would be shorter, maybe it's the perspective in the photos that's throwing me off.

'nuther photo on the carrier

PII on carrier

My eyes keep playing tricks on me. I've gone through every photo racking my brain, measured and remeasured, and I still want to believe that the top half of the rocket is shorter than you have drawn it. But, I also compared your width to length ratio compared the the actual specs of the Pershing II, and it's almost dead on in that regard, whereas my measurements fall short. Has to be the photo perspectives that is throwing me. I think you may have something that could work there Mr. Sandman.:) I'm afraid to ask the next question.:eek:

I can't say enough good things about the balsa NC products from Roachwerks. Sandman makes these things because he enjoys doing it, not because he needs the money......and it shows in the quality of his work. Everything I have received from Sandman has been outstanding.

Go ahead and ask your next qstn...

----------------------------

Gordon, you are right that there (briefly) was the goofy combination of PIA stages with PII warhead body. This was for development purposes, to test the new forebody while the PII motors were still being tested. It was known that the old PIA stages would not provide enough range performance and they were replaced by all-new rocket motors during later development stages for the PII. Photos of the combination of PI/PII parts are kind of rare?

Originally posted by wilsotr
But please do .... several of us are waiting on the answer. :)

OK then...is it stable? :D

Oh! you meant the other question...

Prices?;)

OK then...is it stable?

Yes, very stable! There was almost no wind when it flew so use your judgement.

Those fins are very tiny!

I now include a lead 'slug" for the tip of the nose.

Mr. Postman delivered a little goody today, a BT-80 Pershing nose cone!
Well, he did actually deliver it, I sorta' shmacked him out of the way and grabbed the box from this van.
When opened, it contained the most beautiful piece of balsa machining I have seen in all my years of rocketry. Gordon should be called "The Balsa da Vinci".
In the bottom of the box there were yet more pleasant surprises, a 1 to 1 scale drawing of the Pershing 1a, printed card stock fins, a screw eye for shock cord attachment, links for the decals and destructions on building the rocket.
WOOT!

But what is the big metal suppository for?

;)

Hey Gordon!
I'm saving my pennies for a BT-101 version as well!

Back