NEW NOSE CONE EBAYS ADDED

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JBoyson

Inverted Pursuits Lab
TRF Sponsor
Reaction score
More weeks lead to more nose cones being added to our line up and the trend will continue.
This week we added the 2.6in LOC/PML and the ESTES 3in Plastic Nose Cone EBays.
The Estes 3in Specifically now allows the 3in Der Big Red Max to get a tracker easily integrated to it!
Find them HERE

Edit 10/1: We've also just added 54mm LOC/PML compatible systems. We're also on some sizes making a distinction between LOC and PML as there can be up to 0.8in variations so we've got an average best size for both in certain sizes. Others are still perfectly interchangable

Last edited:
Bought the 4" one and it fit very well into a Loc 4" cone. Very nice product.

More weeks lead to more nose cones being added to our line up and the trend will continue.
This week we added the 2.6in LOC/PML and the ESTES 3in Plastic Nose Cone EBays.
The Estes 3in Specifically now allows the 3in Der Big Red Max to get a tracker easily integrated to it!
Find them HERE
What material are these printed with?

@cwbullet All parts are standardly printed in PETG, ABS can be done upon request or special orders like the DBRM Nose Cone we recently did!

I'll argue for PETG because it has great mechanical properties including heat resistnace (up to 185degF before it gets soft) while still being reasonably easy to print.
Other commonly used materials are ABS and ASA, but they come with an increased difficulty to print. Higher heat resistnace than PETG, but that also means printing at higher temps which is harder on 3d printers.
Hopefull that answers the base question without going to far into the weeds of printers and materials.

I'll argue for PETG because it has great mechanical properties including heat resistnace (up to 185degF before it gets soft) while still being reasonably easy to print.
Other commonly used materials are ABS and ASA, but they come with an increased difficulty to print. Higher heat resistnace than PETG, but that also means printing at higher temps which is harder on 3d printers.
Hopefull that answers the base question without going to far into the weeds of printers and materials.
Between ABS and ASA, which one has the best heat resistance for use as a V2 tail cone?

Now just to note, resistance is when the print will start to deform and become soft, not full on melt.
ASA is resistant up to 95C - 203F
ABS is resistant us to 100C - 212F
PETG for reference is 85C - 185F

Last edited:
What brand do you use where PETG is that high and ABS is that low? For the ones that I use, ABS is typically about 15-20C better than PETG when it comes to heat deformation temperature.

Randy

I typ run off averages, so I'm looking at the average resistance of a material when 3d printed.
And it honestly looks like I misread the chart.
I'm seeing 90C on the low side and 100C on the high side which is more in line with the numbers you said.

... and the ESTES 3in Plastic Nose Cone EBays.
Nice! I wonder if it will fit the Balsa Machining 3" cone (PNC300K)? The shoulder O.D is the same as the Estes, not sure about the shoulder I.D.

Do you happen to have the mass of the printed bays?

The mass ranges from 0.2-0.35lbs depending on size (This range will change as I get bigger sizes figured out)

Not sure if it would fit in that one. I'll have to get ahold of one and try it out.

These look awesome - just ordered a full set of Estes and LOC bays to try them out.

Watched you video about screwing them in to the nosecone shoulder. Couple suggestions on possible improvements:

Maybe make some really shallow grooves lengthwise along the outside of the sleeve to hold glue? Anecdotally, I have had success in bonding PETG with JB Plastic Weld, so I am planning to give that try. I may try and score the outside of the sleeve a bit to see if helps keep some of the glue between the sleeve and the nosecone shoulder.

Another option - at the end of the sleeve (where the sled screw groove terminates), maybe shorten those grooves by a 1/4" or so and make the end a plug that gives ample room to put in a longer screw without interfering with the sled threads?

I definetly like the ideas. Counter point, 3d prints are raerly perfectly smooth and so imo already have some roughed up surface, also I can leave the amount of roughed up to the users discretion. But I'll still keep an open mind to it if enough useres start requesting it.
So the sleeves are already longer than the threaded portion on the sled which still lets you screw into it there. Which was my original thought, but it's possible I just reduce teh amount of threaded portion on the sleeve so there's a bit more to bite into.
As I previously stated, I'll keep an open mind about it, but definetly need more data points 1st.

Thank You,
1696622668567.png

I definetly like the ideas. Counter point, 3d prints are raerly perfectly smooth and so imo already have some roughed up surface, also I can leave the amount of roughed up to the users discretion. But I'll still keep an open mind to it if enough useres start requesting it.
So the sleeves are already longer than the threaded portion on the sled which still lets you screw into it there. Which was my original thought, but it's possible I just reduce teh amount of threaded portion on the sleeve so there's a bit more to bite into.
As I previously stated, I'll keep an open mind about it, but definetly need more data points 1st.

Thank You,
View attachment 608187
so the knurled cap is going to be a bigger diameter than the epoxied sleeve?

Last edited:

Thank You,
View attachment 608187

Awesome, thanks - once I have a chance to play around with the ones I ordered, I will see if any my recommendations even make sense. Thanks!

so the knurled cap is going to be a bigger diameter than the epoxied sleeve?
The knurled portion has s slightly smaller diamerter than the shoulder of the nose cone to ensure it slides smoothly in and out of the rocket.
But yes it's larger than the sleeve, but not larger than the nose cone shoulder

Nice! I wonder if it will fit the Balsa Machining 3" cone (PNC300K)? The shoulder O.D is the same as the Estes, not sure about the shoulder I.D.

Do you happen to have the mass of the printed bays?
Finally got ahold of the Balsa Machining 3in Nose cone and can confirm the Estes Bay will fit in it. I have updated the listing on my site to show this!

It has been a while, but I finally got a chance to build out a rocket with one of the Inverted Pursuits nosecone ebays and test it out on a flight. I can wholeheartedly recommend them - the design is great and it worked prefectly for me!

Rocket was a standard LOC IV. Ebay design was a Quark and WiFi switch and 2S LiPo.

I used motor deploy for the drogue and the Quark for the main deployment (hence the Christmas tree lightbulb in the Quark in the photo below - the Quark requires something to be in both channels or it won't work and I only wanted to use it for the main, so I put a lightbulb in the drogue channel - worked great).

I used JB Weld Plastic Weld to adhere the ebay sleeve into the nosecone - no screws. That ebay sleeve is not coming out. I hung a 20 pound weight off it, just to see if anything would budge. It didn't flinch. I am very confident it will hold in no problem on a 9 oz. nosecone :)

PXL_20240406_192317579-EDIT.jpg

It has been a while, but I finally got a chance to build out a rocket with one of the Inverted Pursuits nosecone ebays and test it out on a flight. I can wholeheartedly recommend them - the design is great and it worked prefectly for me!

Rocket was a standard LOC IV. Ebay design was a Quark and WiFi switch and 2S LiPo.

I used motor deploy for the drogue and the Quark for the main deployment (hence the Christmas tree lightbulb in the Quark in the photo below - the Quark requires something to be in both channels or it won't work and I only wanted to use it for the main, so I put a lightbulb in the drogue channel - worked great).

I used JB Weld Plastic Weld to adhere the ebay sleeve into the nosecone - no screws. That ebay sleeve is not coming out. I hung a 20 pound weight off it, just to see if anything would budge. It didn't flinch. I am very confident it will hold in no problem on a 9 oz. nosecone :)

View attachment 639381

I'm so glad to hear this flew well for you! I lookforward to hearing about future flights!

Back