PerfectFlite Dead or Out of Business?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ps, the Raven is also currently out of stock :questions:, but I know they are easier to get.

Oops..... Adrian has just been through a house relocation from CA to CO and hadn't updated the web site for new inventory received. [I program / test the units and send them to Adrian for inventory / orders / pack / ship. Your note above conflicted with a text I had from him that he had plenty of Ravens so I contacted him and he fixed the web store issue.]

*They now show as available.*

Thanks for the heads up!! ... he probably wondered why he wasn't getting any orders... ;)

Last edited:
Anyone had a recent order? I’ve still not been able to purchase one since the original post.

My last interaction with them was last August, when they had not had any inventory for months. I did have a couple of Stratologgers I snagged when they last had inventory and asked what their preferred battery was, given the specs of the altimeter (basically, finding a 1S 150 maH battery is almost impossible). They answered right away, so I think they are still alive and kicking, but whatever components they need for the Stratologgers only exist in supply chain hell. They still PNuts and miniTImers in stock, so there is a pulse, it's just faint.

I was going to standardize on Stratologgers, but have changed my strategy to Eggtimers, since my soldering skills have dramatically improved, and they have better inventory. Quantums are the best bang for the buck in the altimeter space, IMHO.

TARC is winding down and so that should relieve some pressure from them but who knows if supply chain issues are still a problem for them.

My personal opinion, go with something you can get. I have stuff from 4 or 5 different companies and they all work (until I break them) No need to concentrate on just one vendor.

Anyone had a recent order? I’ve still not been able to purchase one since the original post.
I just ordered a couple within the last couple weeks and they shipped very quickly. They come in stock intermittently for about an hour every few days/weeks.

I gave up having to check every day at the end of the day to see in anything came into stock. Life is too short. Eggtimers...

I have to agree on this point. I love Stratologgers, but about 3 or 4 months ago, I stopped checking at all. It just isn't worth the time with other alternatives on the market. The MW RRC2 is pretty comparable, albeit without the computer interface. I use a lot of Eggtimers now, but do lament the time commitment in building them.

If PerfectFlite ever gets back to a point where SLCFs are available more consistently, I will definitely go back, but, in the meantime, they don't need my business since the limited stock they end up with sells out so quickly. Demand is not their problem. In other words, my giving up on them doesn't hurt them.

Don't forget ... COVID resulted in a world-wide chip shortage. Hopefully they will get back on track.

I wish they would take orders for them. Getting on a list and waiting for months is preferrable to checking their website and seeing out of stock EVERY time. High power season just ended here in Ohio so I can wait 6 months to get one.

I have to agree on this point. I love Stratologgers, but about 3 or 4 months ago, I stopped checking at all. It just isn't worth the time with other alternatives on the market. The MW RRC2 is pretty comparable, albeit without the computer interface. I use a lot of Eggtimers now, but do lament the time commitment in building them.

If PerfectFlite ever gets back to a point where SLCFs are available more consistently, I will definitely go back, but, in the meantime, they don't need my business since the limited stock they end up with sells out so quickly. Demand is not their problem. In other words, my giving up on them doesn't hurt them.

Don’t forget about the RRC2L. That has the plug for the LCD screen to look at past results and for programming. Just a few bucks more than the RRC2+.

Don't forget ... COVID resulted in a world-wide chip shortage. Hopefully they will get back on track.
Another issue was that wafer factory fire in Thailand, that hit right before Covid. A few manufacturers were hit particularly hard by it, ST and Microchip among them. ST supplies a lot of the sensors and interface chips, and Microchip makes Atmel and PIC processors, so you can see how that would affect altimeter production.

Don’t forget about the RRC2L. That has the plug for the LCD screen to look at past results and for programming. Just a few bucks more than the RRC2+.

Or the Altus EasyMini. Slightly smaller form factor as the SLCF, and all the computer functionality and doesn't need the expense of a silly little dongle add on thingy (just a micro usb, which probably everyone has dozens of just laying around).

Oh, and the best part: It's AVAILABLE for purchase direct or any of half a dozen vendors.

Or the Altus EasyMini. Slightly smaller form factor as the SLCF, and all the computer functionality and doesn't need the expense of a silly little dongle add on thingy (just a micro usb, which probably everyone has dozens of just laying around).

Oh, and the best part: It's AVAILABLE for purchase direct or any of half a dozen vendors.
Who is your go-to vendor for said unit if you don't mind sharing?

Who is your go-to vendor for said unit if you don't mind sharing?

Chris because he's close to me and ships fast, 3-5 days from order to me:
https://www.csrocketry.com/electronics/altus-metrum.html
Wildman if Chris is out of stock, 4-7 days from order to me:
https://wildmanrocketry.com/collections/flight-computers
Or direct when other those two sources dry up, 3-5 days to me:
https://shop.gag.com/flight-computers.html
Even when the chip shortage hit.....direct purchase they were always in stock.

and from the Easy Mini manual:

"7.5.1. Main Deploy Altitude
This sets the altitude (above the recorded pad altitude) at which the 'main' igniter will fire. The
drop-down menu shows some common values, but you can edit the text directly and choose
whatever you like. If the apogee charge fires below this altitude, then the main charge will fire
two seconds after the apogee charge fires."

https://altusmetrum.org/AltOS/doc/easymini.pdf

Back