Park Flyer Magnum Paint Scheme

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I do really like the finishing touch that some vinyl from stickershock23.com adds. Even if it is just a cool name, in a cool font (1001fonts.com). The simplest thing would be something very simple, like a single color, with the rocket name up each side. He also has flames and does various wraps.

I'm partial to color schemes with 3 colors. Sometimes, if I'm struggling to think of a color combination, I play around on a site like this and sometimes something jumps out at me. https://www.sessions.edu/color-calculator/

You could pick a theme, based on something you like (vehicle from a movie, math joke, anything).

How do you paint, gun or rattle can? I have used speckled paints on interior of heli builds. Might be kind of different for a rocket. Or might try a water dip. Plugs ends, so water does not get inside, float different color paints on water and then dip it through and back up. Mark at Stickershock makes full wraps, I have never used them, but have seen them and they are very nice.

There is clearly a mistake in my forum settings, as I was not automatically subscribed to my own thread and didn't know anyone had responded. Thanks all for the suggestions.

That stock picture is pretty good. I didn't see any such snazzy picture in the box; is it only on the web site, or was I just oblivious?

I'm a Sticker Shock virgin and I've been looking forward to my first time, so maybe this will be it. A flame job isn't a bad idea.

I have a thing against putting the rocket name on the rocket. It's like Batman writing "BATMAN" across his chest. (And there's no need to bring up Superman's 'S'; he must be really vain.) I'd even take the nameplates off of my cars if I were more inclined to bother.

Keep'm coming, and I'll keep thinking about it.

Mine is done pretty much stock, red with Hammertone silver. I used stickershock Patriot leftovers for the decals. Ignore all the junk, Just got back from flying this weekend and haven't re-organized.

IMG_0363.JPG

Last edited:
So far I've committed to black on the nose cone. In the kit is black plastic. After I whittled off the flash and then sanded, it was frosted black. I'm putting the shine back on it with gloss black paint. Don't have to worry about painting light over it.

Stock could easily be altered to use a black nose: change the black-red-black stripe patterns (two placed) to red-black-red.
1590096598228.png
But I'd still want to take the name off, and it ought to be replaced with something, rather than having that big black expanse. Maybe a bullet.
1590096844197.png

I've decided on a scheme. Thanks all for your ideas and discussion while I settled on something completely different. Did that sound sarcastic? No, really; thanks.

It will have three up-pointing wedges, red, blue, and green, with the down-pointing wedges in between in white. The color wedges are centered on the fins. Each fin will be painted with the other two colors, one on each side, and a white stripe around the leading, tip, and trailing edges. All topped with that black nose cone.

Pictures when there's enough progress to be worth showing. (Right now it's got the blue wedge sprayed, with blue painter's tape and off white paper over everything else, so really nothing to see.)

Thanks all for your ideas and discussion while I settled on something completely different.

I do that often. Sometimes other suggestions are really helpful to get the creative juices flowing.

Glad you have a plan, it sounds like it will be unique and original, looking forward to pictures.

We get nice snow up here in the north. It is PPG Prismatic paint. It has little prism's instead of flake. Nice paint, but takes more clear to get a smooth finish as you cannot wet sand the paint due to it will remove the edges of the prisms. I use 3M file line tape, the blue stuff. After applying it I always burnish down the edge of the tape. Especially where the tape overlaps itself. And thanks.

Interesting. I'll have to consider it. Hmmm so many choices
In the vein of "a picture is worth a thousand words", here's what it looks like on the paint can:
1592795986933.png

And here's what it looks like on the rocket:
1592796035531.png
Rusto has several metallic Hammered paints, I bought mine at Home Depot.
Hammered Antique Pewter, used on my Apogee Flying Machine.

Three moves ago I had to paint a mailbox post (3" pipe) after wirebrushing off the rust. I used the Hammered Bronze (or maybe it was copper) and it came out great.

Back