SCREAMIN MIMI!

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GusGrissom

Reaction score
I had one of these 20 years ago, and I was just reminded of it so I checked eBay and found one. Here are some photos, just finished it last night. My construction skills are not the best, nor are my painting skills. This rocket brings back fond memories of going to the park 20 years ago with my grade school aged son at the time and launching. There was a huge park across the street from where we lived. Now I am more into building, because my current location is not conducive to launches.

I did a my own paint design on the nose cone. I love the peel and stick decals it came with. I have found the waterslide decals on the older kits just disintegrate when I try to wet and apply them. Lots of masking on the fins to get the paint done.IMG_5065.jpgIMG_5066.jpgIMG_5068.jpgIMG_5069.jpgIMG_5070.jpgIMG_5091.jpgIMG_5093.jpg

Well, that would make it scream...

One of my favorite rockets, but to make the "whizzers" work you need a little more punch than a D12. They work great with an Aerotech F24, if you don't have the AT 24/40 motor hardware try one of the new AT EconoMax F44 motors.

Yeah, the previous one I built never made a sound from those whistles, but I'm having a great time driving my English Bulldog berserk with them.

Looks great. Like the chrome color.
Thank you. It's Rustoleum metalic finish chrome. I've been using it a lot lately, I find it gives a real brilliance and glimmer. It takes longer to dry, though I'm probably making my coats too thick.

Thank you. It's Rustoleum metalic finish chrome. I've been using it a lot lately, I find it gives a real brilliance and glimmer. It takes longer to dry, though I'm probably making my coats too thick.

With that Rustoleum, can you actually touch the paint or is that one of those that dulls if you touch it.

@ Back-at-it: You are correct Sir! Because of the extreme shininess and gloss of this paint, it does leave fingerprints and the oil from your hands. I also found that it takes a little longer to cure, and if you grip it too soon, it will leave actual indented fingerprints in it. Definitely a learning curve on how to work with this paint. Also, it either needs a longer drying time, or I'm just spraying it on too thick. Case in point: I don't install my shock cords/parachutes until after I'm done painting, because I feel they just get in the way when I'm painting the nose cone and they're always falling out of the tube, so when I was gripping the rocket to install those items, and after a 24 hr drying time, it still did leave some actual indented fingerprints in it when I was doing that stuff.

I need to be more patient with this paint, but I really do love the way it looks.

And aren't we all guilty (at least I know I am) of "spraying on a little extra", and, "not waiting enough time between coats" while painting our babies? And also waiting for glue to dry before starting fillets, but that's another thread for another day.

Last edited:
Back