Palookaville (L3 certification attempt) --- Build thread

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Atlasboy

Reaction score
Time to start the thread.

My L3 certification attempt will be based on a Hawk Mountain Enterprises Proteus and powered, probably, by Loki Research M2550 on 76/6000 hardware. I received the green light from my L3CC on the Proteus and basic configuration.

Alan at HME is machining my kit now which I placed on order a few days ago. So, time to start eagerly awaiting delivery!

Aeropoxy 6209 for most of the build although I'm going to stick with ProLine for the fins as I've really come to like it for that purpose.

A couple of changes since my last build that I'll be trying out. The first is I'm going to use thinned JB Weld for the bottom plate as I noticed someone in the forums who got a beautiful glass like result with this. My L3CC requires that I use two different manufacturers for electronics. I'll be going with my favorite for main, Telemetrum, but not sure on the second at this point. I was thinking of going Raven but doesn't seem to play well with Mac. Any suggestions on a good second unit that works well with Mac?

My two areas of concern for this build are (1) weight; and (2) paint job. I'm going to need to do a lot of work to try and get this bird heavy but still stable and see if I can possibly stay under a pretty low AGL --- otherwise it'll be quite a trek on launch day for an alternative site. On the paint job, not really a concern, but given the size of the rocket, I've been considering having it professionally painted. I'm not crazy about that idea but I really want to have a nice result at the end of the day and I'm not overly confident in my ability to do a near "perfect" paint job on a rocket of this size.

As always, I'll be using Stickershock to finish things up.

Looking forward to having fun, learning, and hopefully performing up to snuff!

The Stratologger SL-100 works with a Mac as well. I know from experience.

Mike

I chose the SL100 because it works with a Mac. I am glad I did, it has turned out to be flawless.

Re: altimeter
if you are going to use the Telemetrum for your primary
make sure which ever altimeter you chose for your secondary
you can set it apogee plus

I'll be going with my favorite for main, Telemetrum, but not sure on the second at this point. I was thinking of going Raven but doesn't seem to play well with Mac. Any suggestions on a good second unit that works well with Mac?
Some people really like going with different manufacturers for the primary and backup avionics, but if you know and like the TeleMetrum ground station software, you might want to look at our new-ish EasyMini as your backup altimeter. Uses the same software, so works great with any of Windows, Mac, and Linux.

Back