Painting/Finishing Tips on a Micro-Magg

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hey everyone, got back into the hobby about 2 years ago, but usually move very slowly on builds given work/dad stuff. After building/launching quite a few Estes kits and a Photon, I have started working on my L1 build. Chose the Mirco-Mag from LOC, have learned a ton - but am focusing on the paint job. I think I have a bit of a compulsion about it at this point.

I would love some advice about how to best finish the kit using my current rattle cans and plan. Specific details about the number of coats, what grit of sanding paper, the use of 2K clear coat, and polishing would be very welcome. I am not expecting to match @Nathan (although would love to be able to one day!).

Feedback on my process so far is also welcome as I feel like I likely have used too much paint overall, but not sure...

At this point, I have filled spirals (and some filet defects) with Bondo Glazing and Spot Putty.

1. I then did 3 separate coats of Rust-Oleum 2-in-1 Filler and Sandable Primer, the last coat was wet sanded with 400 grit paper.

2. I have done 2 separate coats of Rust-Oleum Painter's Touch 2X Ultra Cover Spray Primer (Flat White). I allowed plenty of time for drying. The first coat was wet sanded with 400 grit paper. The second coat has been wet-sanded down with 600-grit paper. It has dried now for a week or so and is where I currently wait for the next steps/advice (and humidity to cooperate). The picture below is the rocket to this point!

My plan is for the nose cone to be Rust-Oleum Gloss Navy. The body will be Rust-Oleum Gloss White. These are both "enamel" paints. I plan on accenting the body/fins with stripes of said navy paint and also bought this Dupli-Color Gold (enamel). Thoughts?

To finish, I just purchased a can of 2K High-Gloss Clearcoat. I do not really know what to do about sanding after the application of a clear coat.

I also would love to hear some advice about "polishing" or anything additional after clear coating to try and get a glass-type finish before the rocket's maiden voyage.

Thank you!

IMG_1582.jpeg

If anyone is interested here are some of my favorites I have painted along the way over the last year or so, trying to get better!

Attachments

• IMG_1580.jpeg
    IMG_1580.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1583.jpeg
    IMG_1583.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1581.jpeg
    IMG_1581.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
I once made a CPAP machine with several relatively high pressure 40 mm computer fans in series (spaced out) mounted in a cardboard tube attached to one of those corrugated hoses they sell for draining basements. You could make a remote air supply that way, though you might not need as many fans, and you could go larger with the fans. Plus you wouldn't necessarily mind a mild howling sound that the hose makes if enough air goes through.

A friend of mine used to do lacquer finishes on his models. Over Hobbypoxy, I think. He'd wait weeks after applying the last coat of lacquer before he buffed it with automotive rubbing compound and polish. Spectacular results, especially with a metallic finish. My own view is that making such a nice finish increases the emotional trauma when the model eventually dies or goes missing, whether that happens after 1 day or 20 years. Also, ugly models, or rockets, and especially helicopters, fly better because they are rejected by the Earth.

Realize the downside of spending time making a paint job sing, but when you can't go out and launch frequent 2/2 to work and being a dad to young children and your build times are already quite prolonged I don't mind the potential future heartbreak.

Going to give this thread a bit of a bump and also see if anyone has the LOC/PML MicroMagg open rocket file. The one posted on their website doesn't seem to load correctly. Thanks!

Back