Original fat boy

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Polecat is under new ownership and we will be ramping up kit production later this month— that also Includes the 5.5”Fat Man. We are currently designing and will launch our website/online shop soon.
Most excellent!

I have an original and the 5.5" Polecat version but I REALLY need to see the 4ft wide, 20ft tall FatBoy. I think we all need to see that one.
When I was looking up what forming tubes were available I just made a list of what was commercially available. The excel is cut off, it actually goes to 60". But for some reason the motors for that size are out of my price range. I settled on 16" for now.

Thanks for the tips, guys. Looks like I can make my own with about $15 worth of parts, and yes, it's obviously going to be at least a 24mm Motor mount.

I think I'm building one just for LOLs, and will beat the heck out of.
Short fat rockets just appeal to me, dunno why. Big Daddy is mega-cool and I'm liking Fat Boy more than I should. And hella-easy to upscale too.

You can always leave the 18mm motor mount and use the Quest Q-Jet 18mm C12-6 or D16-6 motors if you want higher altitudes. Also, it's kind of pricey but the Squirrel Works Acorn is an available clone of the Fat Boy.

Last edited:
Thanks for the tips, guys. Looks like I can make my own with about $15 worth of parts, and yes, it's obviously going to be at least a 24mm Motor mount.
I think the FB is kind of niche size- it is good for low and slow flights. If you want to launch something relatively large, keep it in sight, recover it on a small field...
A person could build one with 24mm mount and have more versatility- at least a D12, C11, or 18mm with an adapter. Depending on where you buy motors and what you want to achieve, you could build one with dual 18mm mounts and launch with a cluster.
Regarding fin dimensions- my first step is to search the internet for an open rocket or rocksim file. If it is reasonably accurate it will have the fin dimensions.

If anyone near Chicago wants one with an 18mm mount let me know, we can work something out. Flies great and no major damage or crashes. Minor marks from launching. i'm jinto BT-55/60 mostly and this will just sit in a box if I keep it.

Attachments

• IMG_7506.jpg
    IMG_7506.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 0
A person could build one with 24mm mount and have more versatility- at least a D12, C11, or 18mm with an adapter. Depending on where you buy motors and what you want to achieve, you could build one with dual 18mm mounts and launch with a cluster.
Regarding fin dimensions- my first step is to search the internet for an open rocket or rocksim file. If it is reasonably accurate it will have the fin dimensions.
For clustering, if you do a cluster with a central motor and then surround it with radially symmetric satellite motors, you have options. For example, a 24mm in the center with three to eight 18mm slots surrounding it. Use a stuffer tube to contain the ejection charge from the central motor for ejection and just vent the charges from the other motors out the back. You can then fly on just the central motor, or add satellite motors in balanced configurations up to the full complement. Might need adjustable nose weight, but it could be fun. @bad_idea I'm personally planning a different rocket with a central 29mm mount and a total of 9x13mm mounts around it.

Haven't found a .ork or .rkt from a source I'd trust (K'Tesh, basically). However, post #40 above is as high quality information as one could possibly want for fin dims, subject to needing to do a little work. I play in AutoCAD, so that's no problem.

FB is awfully short for that much mass at the back. Flights could be "interesting", even without the sometimes-drama of cluster ignition.

I play in AutoCAD, so that's no problem.
I do that too, if I can't find a good sim then I look for a good photograph that I can trace around in autocad. I figure it doesn't have to be perfect, if it looks close enough to a FB to most people then that's good enough.

If anyone near Chicago wants one with an 18mm mount let me know, we can work something out. Flies great and no major damage or crashes. Minor marks from launching. i'm jinto BT-55/60 mostly and this will just sit in a box if I keep it.
Bring it to the launch tomorrow. I'll take it off your hands. I have an Idea for it that will live up to "Pete" standards.

I remember watching Fred Gruis fly his Fat Boy on an I65... Never got it back, unfortunately.... But that was COOOOOOOOL

I'm working the sim again... The launch lug is a mystery... The part number is really odd... PN 38178. Anyone got an original to measure?

Also the instructions I've got lack the launching prep instructions (which would give me the motor sizes (I found them elsewhere, but I'm wondering what else might be missing)).

The image I have of the decals are not an original scan... I need a scan of them (preferably 300 DPI or greater) along with a ruler for scale.

Thanks!

Last edited:
I'm working the sim again... The launch lug is a mystery... The part number is really odd... PN 38178. Anyone got an original to measure?

Also the instructions I've got lack the launching prep instructions (which would give me the motor sizes (I found them elsewhere, but I'm wondering what else might be missing)).

I have a brand new on in the package. I can scan and measure tomorrow.

I think the original LL was one for an 1/8" rod (the plastic coated paper lug) about 2" long. It looks like I replaced the original on mine with one slightly longer (2 1/4") - or, this might have been an original replacement. I built the rocket 20 something years ago.

I just dug through my filing cabinet and found the original set of instructions, including launch prep. They call for using a B6-2 for the first flight. You can also use (according to the instructions), a B4-2, C5-3, or C6-3.

I also found three pristine new decal sheets, if anyone's interested.

Back