Original fat boy

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If we can gather all of the required scans (instructions as well as the fins, decals (w/ruler for scale)), I can give that to JimZ and get this added to his files.

How do I get it to you?

I can scan it, if that will help, but I don't know how well it will show up. The letters are white on a light background.
I'm sending my rockets, etc. to JimZ for the time being... When I return to the States (next year), I'll drop by, and pick everything up. I'll PM you in a moment.

As so far as the scans, there's no harm in trying, and if it doesn't work with yours, perhaps JimZ's will do better (lately, he's been doing scans at 600 DPI).

Thanks!
Jim

I'm sending my rockets, etc. to JimZ for the time being... When I return to the States (next year), I'll drop by, and pick everything up. I'll PM you in a moment.

As so far as the scans, there's no harm in trying, and if it doesn't work with yours, perhaps JimZ's will do better (lately, he's been doing scans at 600 DPI).

Thanks!
Jim
If I get his contact info, I can xerox the instructions, and mail them along with a decal sheet.

[edit] got your PM. I can send copies of instructions plus a decal sheet to both of you (and still have an original decal sheet for myself).

If I get his contact info, I can xerox the instructions, and mail them along with a decal sheet.
He's on FB... James Zalewski

Scans of the instructions work too...

PM has been sent to you.

Thanks Again!

Sorry if I'm a little out of it... Been working on sims through the night and now I'm BUSHED...

He's on FB... James Zalewski

Scans of the instructions work too...

PM has been sent to you.

Thanks Again!

Sorry if I'm a little out of it... Been working on sims through the night and now I'm BUSHED...
No Facebook here.

The launch lug on my flying Fat Boy, built from a kit acquired from an out-of-business hobby shop's stash early in my BAR period, is a normal LL-2B — 1/8 inch lug, 2 3/8 inches long. I just measured it on the model.

As an aside, a old C5-3 CATO blew this model up, and when I rebuilt it, I added the Estes 18mm screw-on motor retainer to the motor mount assembly. I like that mod. This is a fine model for C12-4FJs. And.... in looking back over this thread I see I'm repeating myself. :)

The launch lug on my flying Fat Boy, built from a kit acquired from an out-of-business hobby shop's stash early in my BAR period, is a normal LL-2B — 1/8 inch lug, 2 3/8 inches long. I just measured it on the model.

As an aside, a old C5-3 CATO blew this model up, and when I rebuilt it, I added the Estes 18mm screw-on motor retainer to the motor mount assembly. I like that mod. This is a fine model for C12-4FJs. And.... in looking back over this thread I see I'm repeating myself. :)
Thanks for the info... I've updated the sim to reflect it.

The Fat Boy has to have a lot of clay in the nose, no?
None is included in the kit... Thus the answer is: "No, it doesn't have to have *ANY* clay in the nosecone." That is, unless you redshift it to the point where it is now unstable with the new motors.

The Fat Boy has to have a lot of clay in the nose, no?

Mine has none. It went unstable on me once — with an 18mm reloadable motor aboard. It was my first ever use of a reloadable. I am not sure the extra mass was the reason and looking back from 10 years later I really don’t know what happened.

If we can gather all of the required scans (instructions as well as the fins, decals (w/ruler for scale)), I can give that to JimZ and get this added to his files.
I think I have some Fat Boys in storage somewhere. I can drag them out if necessary (I still need to scan this kit I have literally sitting in front of me, just been dealing with bad health stuff).

Plans are at YORP:
Estes Fat Boy #1273 (rocketshoppe.com)
Per John Brohm's reference list, body tubes are:
BT-80 Slotted 8"
BT-20 2.75"
PNC-80BB nose cone widely available from vendors or Estes.
You might not be able to find a pre slotted tube but easy to cut your own slots.
Here's a pic of my nekkid second clone. Lost the first one to the rocket gods a couple of years ago.
View attachment 447169

Happy building!
I have multiple original fat boys that I purchased from a hobby shop many many many years ago and the BT-80 tube wasn’t preslotted. Just saying…it flew fine even when i built one for D engines With a very slight add of nose weight. Never broke a fin off. :)

Latest posts

Back