OpenRocket 14.11 released

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Anyone know how to run the Java file as a Mac application? I did this many moons ago but have since gotten a new Mac. If I recall correctly it made use of Automator to call the jar file and bundled it as a Mac app. I've searched all over the forums here but don't see anything. Maybe I read it on some other web site initially. (getting old sucks)

It"s a program called Wine. It will create a bundle that the Mac can the run open rocket. There are other programs that can do it but this is what I've used with success.

On my Mac, OpenRocket simply runs with no additional software or tools that I am aware of. I put the Java file in any folder, then click the Java file to start it.

Is the question about running OpenRocket on the Mac, or is it about making it work like a more standard app (for example, can start when you click on an ork file, among other things)?

Yes, this is on a Mac. I can run it via command line or by double clicking the jar file but the setup I did about a year ago actually embedded the OpenRocket icon to it. This way it did not show the default Java coffee cup icon while in the dock. It wasn't WINE. I think this is part of what I followed initially to make it work.
https://www.willfulwreckords.com/Info/blog/how-to-make-java-jars-into.html

You do not need Wine. Wine is an emulator for .NET programs (Windows) to run on Unix based machines.

You simply need a Java Runtime Environment installed. Here's a link to get the latest Java 7: https://java.com/en/download/manual_java7.jsp Download the DMG for the Mac and install it. You should be able to run OpenRocket then.

Doug

Yes, this is on a Mac. I can run it via command line or by double clicking the jar file but the setup I did about a year ago actually embedded the OpenRocket icon to it. This way it did not show the default Java coffee cup icon while in the dock. It wasn't WINE. I think this is part of what I followed initially to make it work.
https://www.willfulwreckords.com/Info/blog/how-to-make-java-jars-into.html

hmmm - I will have to dig into this and see if I can get something to work in yosemite - might be neat to have the OR logo in my dock when running the application. but I don't really mind just launching the jar file. would also be nice to launch OR when trying to open an ORK file. (instead of first launching OR then opening the .ork)

found this (and some other stuff) in a quick web search: https://developer.apple.com/library...lopment/03-JavaDeployment/JavaDeployment.html seems you can build the app bundle at the command line...

Last edited:
Kruland,

Though I agree with the many suggestions I see made for OR, I want to make sure you understand one thing. Please don't ever take the long list of suggestions as a lack of appreciation for what you have created and continue to upgrade. You have created a great program that rivals it's closest ($125) competitor, and you haven't taken a dime. There are many of us that are able to do lot's of wonderful stuff with your program, that just aren't able/willing to drop $125 on a rocket design/simulation program.

So when you see the lists of suggestions, please understand it is coming from a group of very appreciative people who just want to help make it better.

Thank you very much for your large contribution to our hobby.

What he said!

FC

Thanks for the kudos.

Funny how a new release brings out all the "I want it to do this" comments. When *I* did my first release (as opposed to Sampo doing it) back in 2012, it kinda freaked me out. But now, I've heard all these requests before and I do understand the big things that people want.

As for taking dimes, there's lots of ways to support the project. The home page has a donate $ link. I'm always willing to receive a handshake or shady chair at launches. And helping out users on this forum is always welcomed.

Kevin

Well, if you ever make it out to my neck of the woods, I'd be happy to make a batch of my Killer Redbeans and Rice for you... Nobody's ever complained about it (and lived) :wink:

Nuqneh!
K'Tesh

hmmm - I will have to dig into this and see if I can get something to work in yosemite - might be neat to have the OR logo in my dock when running the application. but I don't really mind just launching the jar file. would also be nice to launch OR when trying to open an ORK file. (instead of first launching OR then opening the .ork)

found this (and some other stuff) in a quick web search: https://developer.apple.com/library...lopment/03-JavaDeployment/JavaDeployment.html seems you can build the app bundle at the command line...

well, I tried it, but I don't think I have my info.plist set up correctly.. the app launches, but goes immediately unresponsive and I can't even force-quit it. I'll keep playing around and see if I can make it work.

I love OpenRocket; been using it since it was barely functional. One of the newer features that I use a lot is the database of parts. I do with that items on the "quick list" would show the part description instead of the part number... it's not all that quick when I can't figure out what the part is. I know what BT-20 is, but I couldn't begin to tell you which Estes part number it is.

kruland, as others have said, many thanks for your work on OpenRocket!

Is it possible for the fairly casual user to add components (nose cones, body tubes, etc.) to the OR database? Maybe by editing one or more of the files/folders in the .jar file?
Or would one have to go all the way back to the source files to do it?

kruland, as others have said, many thanks for your work on OpenRocket!

Is it possible for the fairly casual user to add components (nose cones, body tubes, etc.) to the OR database? Maybe by editing one or more of the files/folders in the .jar file?
Or would one have to go all the way back to the source files to do it?

Good question John, that's something I have wondered about for a while, adding or editing components in the materials DB. There are several that I would love to change (like LOCs PNC-2.14 diameter from 2.3 to 2.26 to get rid of the discontinuity error, and similar things with Blue Tube 54mm from 2.264 OD to 2.274 OD as listed on ARR's website). I'm not a programmer but if this is a simple matter of editing a text or spreadsheet that might not be too bad.

It's actually fairly easy to edit these files, but they need to be "compiled" and packaged in the jar file. If you are interested in making some updates to them, I can get the raw files to you.

I do think that I added a way for the user to drop in custom component files - but I'll have to check the source. I seem to recall it was like the mechanism for custom thrustcurves. Of course, the files need to be in the correct format for it to work.

I should say, I'll be traveling for work for the rest of the week and will have limited access to my OpenRocket development environment. But if you drop me a PM, or email, I can get back to you - though probably slowly.

Kevin

Good question John, that's something I have wondered about for a while, adding or editing components in the materials DB. There are several that I would love to change (like LOCs PNC-2.14 diameter from 2.3 to 2.26 to get rid of the discontinuity error, and similar things with Blue Tube 54mm from 2.264 OD to 2.274 OD as listed on ARR's website). I'm not a programmer but if this is a simple matter of editing a text or spreadsheet that might not be too bad.

FYI, Open Rocket runs on a Linux box as long as Java is in there. Wine can make a lot of Windows Rocket programs including altimeter programs, RockSim and Burnsim run in a Linux box. Kurt

It's actually fairly easy to edit these files, but they need to be "compiled" and packaged in the jar file. If you are interested in making some updates to them, I can get the raw files to you.

Kevin

Kevin, I would be interested in taking a look at it, at least, when you have some time.

One small request for the next update...

Allow for a user definable paper size for printing/exporting to PDF. I'm trying to print some templates for some fins that are 25" long, obviously there's no standard paper size that large, but many printers allow you to set a custom size up to 4-5' in height. Only issue is that OR only recognizes letter and legal paper and won't let one create a PDF that has the fin template all on one sheet of paper.

Adding my thanks for OpenRocket, it is great! Also +1 to the parachute spill holes enhancement request. :)

thanks for sharing this and posting this , new to rocketry and this program will help me out alot thanks!

Back