OFFICIAL LDRS 42- urrg.us

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
and the groud is soft & spongy!! [nicely tilled!!] Quite the opposite to walking on concrete all day, or an uneven corn field / meadow..
So maybe we won't need CA, but perhaps some rags and a little water to clean off the dirt?

I'll take that deal! 😁

The more I see of this event, the more I'm looking forward to it.

This weekend is our May launch. The field looks great. Its getting close to the 25th when registration closes and don't forget the banquet it's going to be a good time. The URRG Bod and Commitee members for LDRS have had a long year of planning and meetings to make this one to remember. Our last LDRS had 2 towers this event has 6 towers and 4 away cell locations. The flying should be really great as we also added many more pads so its going to be all go.

Is there a way on the web site to see what shifts you already signed up for, so you can sign up for more without duplicating?
Hi Darren Great question I looked up your vol slots and pm'd you the slots you signed up for.

On another note Everyone that registered for LDRS will have a Id tag included in the packet at registration. On the back of everyone's id card will be the vol schedule they signed up for. Morgan really though this one out and it will be great as everyone will be wearing that id and have right with them the shifts they are working.
Remember we have a special raffle dedicated to the volunteers and each shift gets you in the raffle.

We still have some shifts available and its all fun you get to work with others and see the operations first hand.

Thanks Darren very appreciated.

Kind landowners are the unsung heroes of this hobby. Without them, we could not fly. Show them absolute respect and deference.

This is so well said. I love your statement.

The landowners that extend themselves to this activity are reshaping so many lives in the advancement of young engineers in aerospace and the hobby that so many of us participate in.

Iam going to use your words if I may so true. ( Kind landowners are the unsung heroes) And we need to let them know what they do for others in this world.

Last day to register on line is FRIDAY!

Get your banquet tickets and raffle tickets!
SWAG will be available to purchase on the field. Banquet tickets will be available on the field.

Volunteer shifts are still available.

URRG has made some changes to the LCO volunteer position.

YES you will still use the mic, and yes you will still be the announcer, however, there is a short list of folks that will be actually pushing the launch button.

The BOD has decided to do this to ensure the safety of EVERY flyer.

YES you will still use the mic, and yes you will still be the announcer, however, there is a short list of folks that will be actually pushing the launch button.

Sounds like a very good idea to me. Way back when, @troj and I did a few shifts as co-LCOs. At a big launch there's just too much going on for a single LCO.

And everyone, please...PLEASE...avoid, if possible, asking questions of the LCOs while they're on duty. And keep the youngsters doing so. An interruption can raise the stress level to 11.

[Troj will undoubtedly recall some of our stress-inducing moments. #1 was a tie between (A) rocket made of PVC pipe, lawn-darting through a table behind us and (B) Gates brothers' mega-rocket lifting off at an away cell. No one had pushed a button... :eek: :haironfire:]

[Troj will undoubtedly recall some of our stress-inducing moments. #1 was a tie between (A) rocket made of PVC pipe, lawn-darting through a table behind us and (B) Gates brothers' mega-rocket lifting off at an away cell. No one had pushed a button... :eek: :haironfire:]

I will never forget that incident with the table. One of my top worst rocketry moments to see happen. Fortunately, folks were paying attention and nobody was within about 10 feet of where it hit.

I had forgotten about the Gates Brothers' rocket.

As I recall, that was the event where we swore off working LCO together ever again. Now, my work partner is @rocketchick where we work RSO together.

-Kevin

Sounds like a very good idea to me. Way back when, @troj and I did a few shifts as co-LCOs. At a big launch there's just too much going on for a single LCO.

And everyone, please...PLEASE...avoid, if possible, asking questions of the LCOs while they're on duty. And keep the youngsters doing so. An interruption can raise the stress level to 11.

I will never forget that incident with the table. One of my top worst rocketry moments to see happen. Fortunately, folks were paying attention and nobody was within about 10 feet of where it hit.

As I recall, that was the event where we swore off working LCO together ever again. Now, my work partner is @rocketchick where we work RSO together.

-Kevin
that sounds like… something…

that sounds like… something…
The memory surfaces more clearly.....Gates brothers' rocket was at an away cell, and the plan was typical: we give the countdown, they push the button way-out-there.

There was a stepladder out there, and the control box was placed on a step. Dust devil came along at the absolute worst possible moment, knocked over the ladder, and ROARRRR WHOOSH!! I did NOT need clean shorts afterward; that's my story and I'm sticking to it.:D

I'm reading of concerns about recovering flights that land off of the farm we're flying from.
100% sure,
If your rocket lands off the farm speak to someone from the URRG BoD before going to get it..
Most often no big deal at all.
We'd just like to keep it that way, lol..

Raffle prizes are a blowing up monster, lol..

Updated posts coming soon.

The generosity is continually surprising the heck out of me..

Teddy

Raffle prizes are a blowing up monster, lol..
Is there a link to raffle items?

Teddy, can you send me a black&white of your OneBadHark logo? Like the logo on your newest T-shirt. I want to put something together for you when I see you at LDRS.

The memory surfaces more clearly.....Gates brothers' rocket was at an away cell, and the plan was typical: we give the countdown, they push the button way-out-there.

There was a stepladder out there, and the control box was placed on a step. Dust devil came along at the absolute worst possible moment, knocked over the ladder, and ROARRRR WHOOSH!! I did NOT need clean shorts afterward; that's my story and I'm sticking to it.:D

As I recall, the control box was on the ladder, and a switch got bumped when the ladder fell over.

Lessons learned.

That is how the NASA USLI launch does it. Also spotter(s) next to the LCO to notice if a Lawn Mower shows up in the sky. It puts less work on the LCO and is safer.

As I recall, the control box was on the ladder, and a switch got bumped when the ladder fell over.

Lessons learned.
Or a relay got hit hard enough to close the contacts temporarily. I can't imagine a single switch on a control box at the pad could (or should) close the circuit.

Or a relay got hit hard enough to close the contacts temporarily. I can't imagine a single switch on a control box at the pad could (or should) close the circuit.

Being honest, I never saw the control box so I do not know.

-Kevin

-Kevin
Are you going to LDRS? Want to work a shift of RSO?

I believe the 1/4-inch rods are 5 ft. Rick EXPjawa might weigh in as I think we have a few different lengths on the 1/4
I think that there are 4' or so rods for the low/mid power rows, and longer ones that can go on the weasel pads for the high power. Not sure of specific length, except for the one 4' carbon rod I put on the mid pads. But I know that I used a longer one than that helping someone set up on a pad this past weekend.

Update on field conditions - this past weekend, the field was turned, so the onion piles are now in the ground. There are a few places where they're at the surface, but none are in the primary flyer parking area. The field was also just planted, and while we won't see much growth yet in two weeks, we will be making sure that traffic on the field is controlled to minimize damage or loss. This is especially true on the field where the away cells are located, and potentially a bit of recovering will happen. If you do need to recover on the field where the away cells are, please 1) refer to the recovery info in the event program and 2) make sure you have permission or assistance from event staff before going out there. There are 4 groups of away cell pads, they may go hot at any time, and we need to make sure that safety distances are observed by folks wandering around looking for rockets...

Back