OFFICIAL LDRS 42- urrg.us

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My understanding of AirTags specifically is that they will connect to ANY iPhone in range to update their general location. So you lose your rocket deep in the weeds and don't even come close to finding it. But, someone else with an iPhone walks within range, their iPhone will send your AirTag's location to Apple, so now you know approximately where it is.
Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.
That is correct, I just posted almost the exact same thing to the other thread.

I apologize for my response of the air tag question here.

Right before that I posted about what to volunteer for I was hoping someone saw it. I'll wait until I get an answer but I have no clue what to choose. I registered yesterday for LDRS, but would like to pick a volunteer spot also. I thought maybe we would click volunteer, and just get assigned but there's many positions to choose from. Its not a super huge rush but can someone guide me to what to choose? I just don't want to volunteer for a spot that someone else would want as they know what to do, or I screw something up with the organization and assignments by choosing a wrong spot.

I'm only an L1, so I'm not sure if I can assist with some of the volunteer spots I have no idea how that works. I'll keep checking back here, but I'd like to sign up asap.

Thanks again,

Michael B.

I apologize for my response of the air tag question here.

Right before that I posted about what to volunteer for I was hoping someone saw it. I'll wait until I get an answer but I have no clue what to choose. I registered yesterday for LDRS, but would like to pick a volunteer spot also. I thought maybe we would click volunteer, and just get assigned but there's many positions to choose from. Its not a super huge rush but can someone guide me to what to choose? I just don't want to volunteer for a spot that someone else would want as they know what to do, or I screw something up with the organization and assignments by choosing a wrong spot.

I'm only an L1, so I'm not sure if I can assist with some of the volunteer spots I have no idea how that works. I'll keep checking back here, but I'd like to sign up asap.

Thanks again,

Michael B.

My two pennies worth and I think a great place to start based on my personal experience. I recommend you pick one each of the following. They are easy enough to learn and you will gain some experience with setting up a launch. Pending on your availability of time you can pick one or two a day, or fill up a day. Its up to you. Make sure you leave your self time to fly, chit chat, eat, visit all the vendors and enjoy the event as well.
  • Low Power Pad Manager (Easy one here and you get to see all the different rockets on the pad prior to flight)
  • LCO Assistant/Spotter (Do you have good eyes, can you spot and track a rocket in the sky, maintain focus while tracking it? Are you a good and clear communicator?) If so this is a easy and great operations experience opportunity.
  • Registration Assistant (Easy one here as well. You can assist at the registration desk, a good way to meet others and you are in the tent out of the sun if its hot)
  • Field Take Down (end of event task, everyone is tired and there is labor involved, but it's a relaxed and shared effort... no more rush:) also a great way to meet others and have some enjoyable conversation while closing down the event.
Book the time slots that work for you, don't worry about others whom have not signed up yet. They will pick a slot when they are ready.

Also you don't just get tossed into the position/role. There will be Sr. members to walk you through any of the roles you pick to help out in.

-Jerry

Sage advice Jerry.

Michael, the pad manager are eh best for "first timers". Once yo now how eh pads work, it's all "rinse & repeat". The LPR pads are mostly younger ones, and always always always bad igniters.. My friend usually does a shift. Bring a hat thought!! hot sun, no shade!

I try to do an RSO shift. See a lot of rockets, all sizes, and you get to sit & are in shade! (and yes, I've refused a few.. Even refused an L1 attempt once [motor impulse too low for said rocket])

We did the take down at URRF last year. Lotsa fun! tiring though!

the other thought, is to not volunteer, but show up & volunteer on the spot. Some volunteers miss their shift. Some positions are understaffed (for the volume of flyers - such as RSO). and, being the '3rd wheel' allows you to gain the experience for next time..

My two pennies worth and I think a great place to start based on my personal experience. I recommend you pick one each of the following. They are easy enough to learn and you will gain some experience with setting up a launch. Pending on your availability of time you can pick one or two a day, or fill up a day. Its up to you. Make sure you leave your self time to fly, chit chat, eat, visit all the vendors and enjoy the event as well.
  • Low Power Pad Manager (Easy one here and you get to see all the different rockets on the pad prior to flight)
  • LCO Assistant/Spotter (Do you have good eyes, can you spot and track a rocket in the sky, maintain focus while tracking it? Are you a good and clear communicator?) If so this is a easy and great operations experience opportunity.
  • Registration Assistant (Easy one here as well. You can assist at the registration desk, a good way to meet others and you are in the tent out of the sun if its hot)
  • Field Take Down (end of event task, everyone is tired and there is labor involved, but it's a relaxed and shared effort... no more rush:) also a great way to meet others and have some enjoyable conversation while closing down the event.
Book the time slots that work for you, don't worry about others whom have not signed up yet. They will pick a slot when they are ready.

Also you don't just get tossed into the position/role. There will be Sr. members to walk you through any of the roles you pick to help out in.

-Jerry
Ok, awesome. I'm not unfamiliar with rocketry I've been doing it since 1990 myself(eventually want to attempt an L3, but baby steps). But, it's been low to mid, just getting into high finally with an L1 cert this year. I bought stuff 10 years ago then quit for different reasons so most has been remembering things. I'm not at all the most knowledgeable but enough to help out, and I was thinking after looking at them again the low power pad would probably be best for me I do agree with your suggestion.

I have the tolerance too for many questions, especially those newer and are that are looking for a little guidance. And probably the most experience myself it that area of low, so I'm for up that one. I'll be going there too hopefully to get my L2 attempt in and see what happens before June. So I'll get to chat with Larry and the others in person too and they can eventually put me other places I'm needed if need be. I agree with them that 18,000 ft waiver is precious, so I'll do as they ask while following the rules. I'm a big saftey guy...lol.

I appreciate the time you took to write this out, im still recovering from an injury but im functional just very sore now. That's another thing I need something not too physically challenging until I know how my body will act. Thank you, Michael B.

Last edited:
Sage advice Jerry.

Michael, the pad manager are eh best for "first timers". Once yo now how eh pads work, it's all "rinse & repeat". The LPR pads are mostly younger ones, and always always always bad igniters.. My friend usually does a shift. Bring a hat thought!! hot sun, no shade!

I try to do an RSO shift. See a lot of rockets, all sizes, and you get to sit & are in shade! (and yes, I've refused a few.. Even refused an L1 attempt once [motor impulse too low for said rocket])

We did the take down at URRF last year. Lotsa fun! tiring though!

the other thought, is to not volunteer, but show up & volunteer on the spot. Some volunteers miss their shift. Some positions are understaffed (for the volume of flyers - such as RSO). and, being the '3rd wheel' allows you to gain the experience for next time..
I like your last thought, there's only a few spots left and that low power pad manager says you have to be Tripoli member im NAR I just was going to volunteer for that. I could probably do the high power pad manager to assist with L1/L2 rockets, im hoping to be L2 by then. Thanks for the tips, I joined SPAAR here in PA, and flew with them to get back into it as well. Picked myself up good canopy too, chairs, etc..I plan to keep flying with them as well but we are limited to low power.

I've also been attempting to start a club for a while(10 years ago it started)myself for some time and was pretty intensely involved until recently with getting one going here in Pa, but some things are not quite working out there I decided to respectfully decline that invitation. I'm kind of bummed I out in some time calling and searching, researching laws/rules, etc...

You're probably not a stranger to that either ots a handful. But myself have good experience with setting up, troubleshooting, clean up, and helping out. I just need to fit into your guys routine. I really want to help as much as possible and have fun flying. I think helping is just as fun, and cheaper! Well, once I'm frequently at the club things will be smoother I won't keep asking questions. Im so pumped, I've wanted this ny entire adult life and just getting the right opportunity now.

Thank you again, Michael B.

Jerry and Dr Wogz Well said and thanks for that. You don't realize how educational it is to volunteer. You really learn a lot and there's always help so you don't have to worry about being there trying to figure it out on your own, you see everyone's projects and how its done its like being a personal assistant to each project and everyone is good about explaining how they do things. I learn more helping then flying. Also, If you're an L2 sign up for High power pad manager. you'll see A B and C pad projects firsthand. It's a great place to be.
Another forgotten sweet spot is the BFR transporter. You get to go out with the big dogs help set up and see those big ones go up.
Being out with those seasoned guys is like going to collage for free, Yep they do a lot of thinking and talking and if you can listen, they might learn you something.
Only those that sign up get in the volunteer raffle. Were our own group we all get to know one another and do a lot of campsite and hanging out.

if your hesitant and not sure but want to help call me 716-628-1880 well talk and ill get you situated in a spot that will be fun and fit you.

Larry W

Jerry and Dr Wogz Well said and thanks for that. You don't realize how educational it is to volunteer. You really learn a lot and there's always help so you don't have to worry about being there trying to figure it out on your own, you see everyone's projects and how its done its like being a personal assistant to each project and everyone is good about explaining how they do things. I learn more helping then flying. Also, If you're an L2 sign up for High power pad manager. you'll see A B and C pad projects firsthand. It's a great place to be.
Another forgotten sweet spot is the BFR transporter. You get to go out with the big dogs help set up and see those big ones go up.
Being out with those seasoned guys is like going to collage for free, Yep they do a lot of thinking and talking and if you can listen, they might learn you something.
Only those that sign up get in the volunteer raffle. Were our own group we all get to know one another and do a lot of campsite and hanging out.

if your hesitant and not sure but want to help call me 716-628-1880 well talk and ill get you situated in a spot that will be fun and fit you.

Larry W
Ok Larry, sounds good. I'm still a little unsure and have a few questions. I have April planned for the L2. I'm planning to be a regular monthly during flying season. I'm part of club SPAAR in Pennsylvania, as well. thats limited to low though, I want to continue to fly low and high. Any spot im authorized or allowed to work certification wise sounds great but I'm only a NAR L1 currently.

I know exactly what you mean by hearing seasoned guys chat with each other. So many of my own questions were answered by just listening. That was one of my goals when we drove up for the first time in September, to gain knowledge. Im also going to get some camping gear but not quite yet to take advantage of the camp ground, or maybe rent an RV during bigger events. Anything I can do rocketry related has my interest. It may be the weekend though at the latest.

Thanks again, yourself and others were nice to all of us. Even family said she really liked how nice you were to her, so that means a lot to me. Ok enough rambling. I'll be in touch for sure.

Thanks again,

Michael B.

A little bit of rocket candy for the eyes :) Have not posted this to the URRG BFR yet, but I will be flying this for its second flight at LDRS 42. I think it's been 3 years since it's first flight. She has a new paint job, it was tuxedo black with metallic flakes in it initially. Now it's like a burnt orange color. I use MAX 2K primer and MAX 2K gloss for all my kits. Love that stuff!

So If all goes well I am hoping to get 3-4 flights per day.(I know Morgan, sure just a few more minutes please....lol)
If I can show up like Micky does, I think I can reach my goal of 3-4 per day. Micky has his Sh*! together and I have learned the hard way. Prep at home and load on the field. Not build and prep on the field:headspinning:

I have a bunch of rockets to get together from 3 to 8 inch kits. So I have some work to do, soooo looking forward to the builds and paint work.

This rocket is a 14 foot Mad Cow DX3 8inch. Here is a video from its first and last flight which if my memory is correct it reached just over 13K. I will be sending it up on a another EX, N something.
Details are still in the works as I need to finish up some more testing on the stand before I know what motor I am going to build. I do know, as Harry says, the motor is going to be spicy :)

IMG_3937.JPGIMG_3939.JPG

Would like to hear what others are planning to build/fly as well. Post pics/video if you got em.

-Jerry

Jerry Great projects you have going really cool. Id love to hear from others as to some of the planned flights.
Iam especially interested in the altitude flights over 10 k,

Those that flew at URRF 9 saw we had several pads set up past the C bank for those flying high. That was done to accommodate the higher altitude's and we will be doing that again at LDRS 42. Its nice with pads out there which handle impulse as well as altitude, so it cuts down on wait lines.

Were planning on having many more pads and towers then past large launches. We'll be able to handle greater volume from mod rocks all the way out to 2500 ft to accommodate Dan Micheals full size patriot.

Looking forward to hearing about other's flight plans or needs.

This rocket is a 14 foot Mad Cow DX3 8inch. Here is a video from its first and last flight which if my memory is correct it reached just over 13K. I will be sending it up on a another EX, N something.

Nice flight -- What was the loaded weight on the rocket and total impulse on the N motor?

153 Days Until LDRS 42.
Have you registered?
Ordered your T-shirts? Hat?
Bought your Raffle tickets?

We are so excited to see everyone.

The URRG BOD is working behind the scenes to make this an EPIC launch.

The Upstate Research Rocketry Group Presents
LDRS 42 “Don’t Panic”
June 6-9, 2024

Torrey Farms, Potter NY - The largest recovery area in the Northeast

LDRS 42 registration is now open at https://urrg.us

The URRG Board of Directors has worked all summer and fall to bring you the very best experience; LDRS 42 will feature more launch pads than you can count, a full blown NY pig roast banquet (alternate options available) on Saturday evening with a special guest speaker, vendors, food, and the best that rocketry has to offer.

Details, Details, Details

The Field

42.703049, -77.19066

LDRS will be held Thursday, Friday, Saturday and Sunday June 6-9, 2024
The launch field will open daily at 9 am and will close at 4 daily except Saturday when the field will close at 3 to prepare for the banquet

Launch pads - you will find a right-side bank ,a left-side bank, and away cells for those big projects. We have rails to accommodate everything from micro buttons to uni-strut, and ⅛” through ¼” rods.

Host Hotel

Best Western Plus Vineyard Inn & Suites​

142 Lake St, Penn Yan, NY 14527
(315) 536-8473
Use Code LDRS 42 when reserving a room - Reserve early these rooms will go quickly

Banquet

Valley Inn​

2862 Guyanoga Rd, Branchport, NY 14418

This year's banquet will be a full blown NYS pig roast. Other options will be available.
TRA annual meeting will be held immediately following dinner. (Fingers Crossed) Woody Hoburg , NASA astronaut and TRA Lifetime award winner, will be our special guest.

VOLUNTEER

Many Hands make light work

When you register for LDRS please pick up a volunteer shift or two.
Volunteer opportunities are available for everyone from the most novice of rocketeers to the most experienced.
Volunteer shifts are 2 hours and run throughout the day. Opportunities and descriptions can be found at registration,
For each volunteer shift you work your name will be entered into a volunteer ONLY raffle for some great prizes

Vendors

Visit some of the best Vendor in Rocketry

One Bad Hawk Recovery
Wildman
Performance Hobbies
MAC Performance
Chris' Rocket Supplies
Flis Kits
SC Precision

As we get confirmation from the vendors we will update the list

Raffle Prizes

Raffle tickets will be 15 /$10 presale and $1 each on the field
URRG will have the BEST raffle prizes.
Check back for more info. Urrg.us

SWAG
Check out the swag store!
Get your t-shirts, patches, stickers and more. Limited quantities will be available on the field.

BFR

If you plan to fly a BFR please fill out the BFR form on the website.

LUNCH

There will be food vendors on the field daily. More information to follow.

Have questions? Email the URRG BOD at [email protected] or [email protected]

Follow us
Facebook https://www.facebook.com/URRGRockets
Instagram urrg_3.2.1
https://urrg.us

SC Precision is our official name. It gets abbreviated to SCP for the logo. I couldn't get that when setting up the domain so the website is SCPconcepts.com. Confusing!!! ahaha my fault!

But really - call me anything you want to. Mostly people call me names I should not write here!

Looking forward to June! Teddy has my list of raffle prizes and can't wait to meet some more of you all there!

SC Precision is our official name. It gets abbreviated to SCP for the logo. I couldn't get that when setting up the domain so the website is SCPconcepts.com. Confusing!!! ahaha my fault!

But really - call me anything you want to. Mostly people call me names I should not write here!

Looking forward to June! Teddy has my list of raffle prizes and can't wait to meet some more of you all there!

Looking forward to it Scott - bring some of those Unistrut airfoils so I can finally get a pair :)

How does parking work at these large events? I've only ever attended small club launches where there's a single row of cars, and everyone sets up their canopy by their trunk. Does everyone pack up their canopies and everything at the end of each day?

How does parking work at these large events? I've only ever attended small club launches where there's a single row of cars, and everyone sets up their canopy by their trunk. Does everyone pack up their canopies and everything at the end of each day?

There is a very large parking / setup area that is designated at one end of the field. Outside of the designated BFR spaces, the spaces are first-come, first-served and you can setup camp and leave it up for the entire event.

Most people setup up their EZ Up on Day 1 and leave it up. Fair warning - this is a farm field, which means plowed dirt. Mud on some days, dust on others and relatively loose earth all the time. Combine that with the high likelihood of wind at least some of the time and you REALLY need to secure your EZ Ups with more than just a couple small stakes if you are going to leave them up overnight. They will fly away!

I use big stakes and ratchet straps to secure my 16x10 pavilion (lesson learned after losing some expensive ones in the past..)

Shorter answer - pick your spot, setup camp, leave it up

I just submitted my Big Nuke 3E onto the LDRS site as a featured flight. I only put the 2nd flight that is planned, which is the M1297 flight. I am planning on a L900 flight the day prior.

I am just waiting on warmer weather to paint one and clearcoat another.

133 Days until LDRS 42!!!!!!

Have you registered?

Purchased your T-shirt?
Dinner Ticket?
Registered your BFR?
Picked a volunteer shift?

he Upstate Research Rocketry Group Presents
LDRS 42 “Don’t Panic”
June 6-9, 2024

Torrey Farms, Potter NY - The largest recovery area in the Northeast

LDRS 42 registration is now open at https://urrg.us

The URRG Board of Directors has worked all summer and fall to bring you the very best experience; LDRS 42 will feature more launch pads than you can count, a full blown NY pig roast banquet (alternate options available) on Saturday evening with a special guest speaker, vendors, food, and the best that rocketry has to offer.

Details, Details, Details

The Field

42.703049, -77.19066

LDRS will be held Thursday, Friday, Saturday and Sunday June 6-9, 2024
The launch field will open daily at 9 am and will close at 4 daily except Saturday when the field will close at 3 to prepare for the banquet

Launch pads - you will find a right-side bank ,a left-side bank, and away cells for those big projects. We have rails to accommodate everything from micro buttons to uni-strut, and ⅛” through ¼” rods.

Host Hotel

Best Western Plus Vineyard Inn & Suites​

142 Lake St, Penn Yan, NY 14527
(315) 536-8473
Use Code LDRS 42 when reserving a room - Reserve early these rooms will go quickly

Banquet

Valley Inn​

2862 Guyanoga Rd, Branchport, NY 14418

This year's banquet will be a full blown NYS pig roast. Other options will be available.
TRA annual meeting will be held immediately following dinner. (Fingers Crossed) Woody Hoburg , NASA astronaut and TRA Lifetime award winner, will be our special guest.

VOLUNTEER

Many Hands make light work

When you register for LDRS please pick up a volunteer shift or two.
Volunteer opportunities are available for everyone from the most novice of rocketeers to the most experienced.
Volunteer shifts are 2 hours and run throughout the day. Opportunities and descriptions can be found at registration,
For each volunteer shift you work your name will be entered into a volunteer ONLY raffle for some great prizes

Vendors

Visit some of the best Vendors in Rocketry
UPDATED VENDOR LIST

One bad hawk Recovery Harnesses
Performance Hobbies
Wildman Hobbies
Chris’s Rocket Supplies
Loc Precision
Mac Performance
Rail Buttons.com
Flis Kits
SCP Products
Photo’s By Nadine

As we get confirmation from the vendors we will update the list

Raffle Prizes

Raffle tickets will be 15 /$10 presale and $1 each on the field
URRG will have the BEST raffle prizes.
Check back for more info. Urrg.us

SWAG
Check out the swag store!
Get your t-shirts, patches, stickers and more. Limited quantities will be available on the field.

BFR

If you plan to fly a BFR please fill out the BFR form on the website.

LUNCH

There will be food vendors on the field daily. More information to follow.

Have questions? Email the URRG BOD at [email protected] or [email protected]

Follow us
Facebook https://www.facebook.com/URRGRockets
Instagram urrg_3.2.1
https://urrg.us

Hey who is the guy that fly's EX and has a I think a 76MM load that whistles at take off. It punches off the pad every time! Its a noticeable motor for sure.

That's me. I have another one of these loads ready for LDRS. I'm also working on an extended 8" DX3. Hoping to fly it on an O5500X.
Well this is very interesting!
I am working on an extended 8" DX3 as well, and going to fly a O in it also. Not sure of the O specs yet, will know soon.
Perhaps we can coordinate a back to back launch?? No race, just two back to back O flights. I think that would be pretty cool, let me know and we can work it out.

PS that load you make is kick A$$

-Jerry

Attachments

• IMG_4109.JPG
    IMG_4109.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 0
That's me. I have another one of these loads ready for LDRS. I'm also working on an extended 8" DX3. Hoping to fly it on an O5500X.
Did you fly a K2000 or maybe K1000 that you made at MDRA last year? One of the most amazing motors I've ever witnessed.

Back