odd nose cones

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ronhill

Reaction score
Received an order yesterday including what I thought was a collection of 4 Estes NC-55 nose cones. The drawings on the outside of the sealed pack and on the website showed "various" 55-sized nose cones. All in the graphics were variants of the standard nose cones we're all used to.

What I received was 4 identical items one of which is shown in the photo attached. Does anyone know what they are? It appears to be an outcast from some plastic rocket model. They're not useful for my rockets.

I called A2Z, and they are sending out another pack. It's apparent they want to do the right thing. Obviously, they had just gotten what Estes sent them. So far A2Z's service seems excellent--easy web site, fast shipping, good packing.

It's the cone from one of the Gulf War rockets (Python?), along with a section that could be a paylaod adaptor.

kj

Originally posted by ronhill
What I received was 4 identical items one of which is shown in the photo attached. Does anyone know what they are? It appears to be an outcast from some plastic rocket model. They're not useful for my rockets.

That is from the old Sidewinder kit.

Bill

Actually it's from the original Estes Python (kit #2129) or the Estes AIM-9 Sidewinder. Both OOP. I think I remember an earlier thread that dealt with these cones but wouldn't know where to begin a search.

Nice find, though!

MetMan

If you don't want them, I would be interested in buying them from you. PM or email me?

I'd be interested in one also. I love the Sidewinder! PM me with details.

Jason

Thanks for all the excellent replies.

Isn't it correct that these very specific cones shouldn't have been included in a general pack of NC-55s? Maybe, one of the four is OK, but not all 4. That is, you'd expect something a bit more applicable to non-scale modrocs. Or were my expectations unreasonable?

Regarding folks wanting them: I have no use for them, and I'd be happy to send them along. I think two folks asked for them so I'll likely divide them up (no more than two, please). Let me first make sure A2Z doesn't want them back. I don't believe they will.

It will be interesting to see what I get in the replacement pack. I hope it's not 4 more of the same.

Buying nose cone assortments is the same kind of crapshoot you run into when buying a Designer's Special. They're actually pretty good for the beginning scratchbuilder, (well, once I got over my outrage.) For a while it seemed that every "assortment" I got was full of the Greyhawk/Recon/Shuttle Express nose cone, which I initially hated, but eventually learned to appreciate. I would think that an "assortment" would contain more than just four of the same cone though.

Those are strange beasts, but they may be more useful than you think.

The intended use is to cut them into two sections and use the bottom half as a tubing coupler and the top half as the nose cone. Sand the circumferential mold lines on the cone to make them smooth.

Another option: Those circumferential mold lines on the nose cones make good cutting guide lines if you want to cut the tip off and use it as a boat tail. I see two mold lines on there so you can use it on two different engine tube sizes. I'm guessing the mold lines are just right for a 24mm and an 18mm engine tube.

Originally posted by Fishhead
Buying nose cone assortments is the same kind of crapshoot you run into when buying a Designer's Special. They're actually pretty good for the beginning scratchbuilder, (well, once I got over my outrage.) For a while it seemed that every "assortment" I got was full of the Greyhawk/Recon/Shuttle Express nose cone, which I initially hated, but eventually learned to appreciate. I would think that an "assortment" would contain more than just four of the same cone though.

I've gotten the assortment packs many times in the past. This is the first time I'd gotten 4 identical odd balls in one pack. I think it was just a packing error.

Obviously Estes has to unload extra parts on occasion. I just hoped for a little more randomness.

Originally posted by BobCox
Those are strange beasts, but they may be more useful than you think.

The intended use is to cut them into two sections and use the bottom half as a tubing coupler and the top half as the nose cone. Sand the circumferential mold lines on the cone to make them smooth.

Another option: Those circumferential mold lines on the nose cones make good cutting guide lines if you want to cut the tip off and use it as a boat tail. I see two mold lines on there so you can use it on two different engine tube sizes. I'm guessing the mold lines are just right for a 24mm and an 18mm engine tube.

I can sand the circumferential lines down. But in the other dimension, the curvature changes part of the way down the cone--it has a different conic section. Sort of strange, but I guess that's a fact of life for scale models.

I like the idea of a boat tail. I'll do a little fit checking. Good advice!

Back