NSL 2011

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nice pics! I really liked that one that staged to 3 separate sustainers.

If you look closely at the sequence using the full size images you can see the booster going up through the middle! Very cool flight and I was privileged to be setup next to Kurt Gugisberg and Allen Farrington.

Nice pics! I really liked that one that staged to 3 separate sustainers.

oh yeah, that was an amazing rocket. i saw him prepping the booster, and i took a seat in his shade, or jeff's shade...can't remember, the sun kept moving. well he pulls out this small rocket with fins on three sides, but that type that looks inherently stable, but spinny. what i didn't realize was there were three of them, they'd be strapped to the top of the booster, and they'd be launched from it...crazy :D

there was a big failure when a father/son team building a large darkstar-esque rocket made of CF wrapped blue tube failed to have any ejections and came in ballastic. landed past the main access road away from everybody, and the fincan actually survived a little. the motor casing was borrowed, and they had two ravens, my wallet hurt for them :(

Some photos I took of a few flights. If anyone recognizes their rocket and wants the high res version of it, pm me and I can email it to you.

Couple of mine first of course.....:) My 3x upscale Scorpius and Gone Bananas with Capt'n Bananas onboard.

...Fudd

DSC_8145.jpg

DSC_8149.jpg

DSC_8150.jpg

DSC_8165.jpg

DSC_8170.jpg

Last edited:
Great pictures. ARC really wanted to be there but the impending move of our shop kept us from finishing the 24" MLAS in time. Instead, we packed and plotted for the new location. We also did some tinkering on the new and improved 8" MLAS.

Congrats on the Mega MM. Looks like it had a great flight.

Anyone remember what the WAC went up on? I love that rocket for its simplicity and cleanliness.

If anyone got photos of "ALL GLORY TO THE HYPNOTOAD" please post them.

Flew it Saturday on an I300T-M (delay drilled down by 2 seconds with ejection a fraction of a second after apogee). Boosted straight up even in the wind.

Sunday there was almost no wind so I flew it on an I366R-M and did not drill the delay. Boosted perfectly straight and ejected almost exactly at apogee.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G5qc-xPNp6k&feature=related

Last edited:
I too didn't get nearly as much photography time in as I intended. In addition, my camera seemed to be majorly acting up during the night launch, with some sort of constant vibration happening inside, which ruined all of my long exposures. That being said, enjoy the following.

The final photo is of my black and silver 38mm minimum diameter dual deploy rocket which didn't successfully dual deploy. I went searching for it for upwards of two hours, binoculars and all, and as I was returning to the launch site, heard my name over the PA. Someone had found my rocket, and thanks to my name being written all over it, they knew whose it was.

Anyone know who found it? I'd like to thank them and ask them a few diagnostic questions about its condition to figure out what went wrong in recovery.

IMGP3685.jpg

IMGP3733.jpg

IMGP3737.jpg

IMGP3743.jpg

IMGP3755.jpg

Great pictures. ARC really wanted to be there but the impending move of our shop kept us from finishing the 24" MLAS in time. Instead, we packed and plotted for the new location. We also did some tinkering on the new and improved 8" MLAS.

Congrats on the Mega MM. Looks like it had a great flight.

Anyone remember what the WAC went up on? I love that rocket for its simplicity and cleanliness.

WAC went up on an M1939 by Greg Lyzenga. really great flight, went up saturday morning and won the video contest. Mike Kramer i think is going to post the winner somewhere, complete with a flyby of Hwy 247, complete with cars 100 ft under :horse:

hey fudd, were you there with your wife and daughters? cuz i remember pad managing like tons of small rockets set up all around that red der max.

Sorry Fred I did not get a picture. I launched that flight on Friday. Nice job!

You saw my one photo of your Boost Glider launching yes?

So if Martin would like to take an hour during SCRA launches to fly, I'd be happy to run the panel for an hour (when I am there).
:)

hey fudd, were you there with your wife and daughters? cuz i remember pad managing like tons of small rockets set up all around that red der max.

My wife, daughter and son were there, yes. I know they flew a bunch of the small rockets I had on my table so you probably did asign them pads several times. I think you may have been pad manager before or after me as well. My wife and daughter were pad managing Fri, and Sat. from 11-1pm and I was RSO during those times as well.

...Fudd

Last edited:
My wife, daughter and son were there, yes. I know they flew a bunch of the small rockets I had on my table so you probably did asign them pads several times. I think you may have been pad manager before or after me as well. My wife and daughter were pad managing Fri, and Sat. from 11-1pm and I was RSO during those times as well.

...Fudd

yup, they relieved me saturday after a 4 hour pad managing blitz :O

Kudos to the ROC folks for putting on a great launch. I got to launch a J510W in my Hawk and a J540R in my Arcus the largest reloads and altitudes for me so far (onward to a K550) and my dual deploy worked as planned. We launched on Friday till it got too windy in the afternoon. Flew my glowlight express on a H170 metalstorm during the great night launch conditions on Friday light (flight # 27 for it). Kicked back and watched braver folks then I fly on the windy conditions of Saturday. The potluck was great and was better then any club banquet I have been to. The night launch was much to windy for my tastes so I watched others launch (it even got a bit chilly). Sunday was perfect and those who left early missed great conditions and some great flights. We helped tear down the range and with the 8 hr drive did not get back till 2 am (glad I took the day off). A fun time (however it will take a while to get all the dust off of everything).

Last edited:
ROC did a fantastic job of hosting NSL.:clap::clap::clap:

I had a great time even though I didn't fly a single rocket during the three days I was there. Yes... I can be done. :eyepop:

Richard and his crew organized a tasty potluck event, while Rick and the many other other ROC members kept things moving on the flying field and raffle table.

Lots of people having a great time flying and talking rockets... One can't ask for more.

John

These were take on Friday and Saturday.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/jeffgortatowsky/sets/72157626823695797/

Creative Commons Licensed. Please give attribution if used.

I am republishing many of the photos. Last night I rushed to get them online. Tonight I have taken some time to add more crops, adjust exposures, and do some spot removal.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/jeffgortatowsky/sets/72157626823695797/

Comments and critiques welcome.

If anyone needs originals they can get the original size JPEG on Flickr. Or I can send Canon RAW for those interested.

I had a great time even though I didn't fly a single rocket during the three days I was there. Yes... I can be done. :eyepop:

Richard and his crew organized a tasty potluck event, while Rick and the many other other ROC members kept things moving on the flying field and raffle table.

Lots of people having a great time flying and talking rockets... One can't ask for more.

John

Thanks. I am not on the BOD but I'll pass it on.

John

agreed :) and it's great you came all the way from oregon :)

ROC actually has a twice yearly three day event called ROCstock that takes place in june and november, instead of the normal one day launches. Also, it has a two day, youth oriented launch in october called ROCtober :)

so if the urge ever strikes you to make your way to socal again, the same festivities are put on every june and november, abiet without some of the NAR board of trustees members there.

NSL was an AWESOME EVENT. I had a great time. weather was mostly good (although the "W" did rear it's nasty head a few times)

All in all I had mostly great flights. had a Cato on my All fiberglass Super DX3 that kind of bummed me out. BUT CTI and Jack G were nice enough to replace the case and TWO reloads before I left the launch. NOT THATS CUSTOMER SERVICE.. It does not get any better..

FUDD... thanks for the pictures great stuff here are a couple more of the der red max... Nothing like a flame bigger than the rocket. Now that I know it will handle the 5 grain 54mm... next flight it will get the same motor PLUS 3 29mm 6 grain airstarts....

amty 023 small.jpg

Nothing like a flame bigger than the rocket. Now that I know it will handle the 5 grain 54mm... next flight it will get the same motor PLUS 3 29mm 6 grain airstarts....

Now ur just showin off....:lol:

Glad you guys had a good time.....

Rick Dickinson from Crayon Photos https://crayonphotos.com/ got a nice shot of my Naked Fat Man lifting off on a KBA 700 F, for some reason no one wanted me to model for the rocket. :D

R6120578-800-337x450.jpg

Finally starting to unpack all the stuff from NSL. Despite running the video contest (I will post them soon!) and not having the full crew with me, I did mange to get a few rockets off, for the record, I did actually launch a rocket with fins.

In addition, I launched the mega mop (99 cents store mop on a H220), that was one freaking fast mop, Beer bottle rocket on an I300 (shreaded the label off the bottle), the hamburger (o.k. so this one didn't fly so well), plus a few small rockets.

I'm saving the big ones for next launch when the full crew is with me.

Mike

Back