Change of Venue for LDRS 40

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BBrown

Phoenix Driver
Reaction score
Due to logistical issues that were unsurmountable, LDRS 40 will now be held at Lucerne Dry Lake in southern California, hosted by the Rocketry Organization of California (ROC). The dates will remain the same, June 9-12, 2022. Expect further updates shortly.

I'll never get to attend an LDRS launch in this lifetime , Since all of them are located on the West Coast. 🤬

All of them on the west coast??? Huh???

Argonia is kinda in the middle of the country. If you want it closer to home submit a LDRS app to TRA.

ok, Kansas is an 18 hour drive from me, not possible with my physical condition, and with 2-3 years left, it's not likely going to be back on the east side of the country in that time frame.
MDRA and URRG have hosted LDRS and likely will again, but timeframe is unknown. But likewise, URRG's summer festival and MDRA's spring Red Glare are very similar to an LDRS. Lots of people, big flights, on-field vendors, a nice banquet, etc.

And don't forget Orangeburg in whichever Carolina it was in. And we had another in the upper Midwest that my club, QCRC, put on with the Wisconsin TRA.

And I have to ask Hobie1dog: what's the problem with "2-3 years left"? you going somewhere?

Brad

I'll never get to attend an LDRS launch in this lifetime , Since all of them are located on the West Coast. 🤬
I’m giving some serious thought about making the drive to the NAR NSL in Sumter SC this May and maybe to the Bama Blastoff next fall in western Alabama - not quite the same as LDRS but a whole lot more accessible from north central Ohio. Even though I’m retired and time isn’t as big a factor as it used to be making that drive to the West Coast has about as much appeal as an unsedated colonoscopy 🤯

D*mn, Brothers, OR is 100 miles closer to my Northern California home . . . a seven hour drive turned into a nine hour drive according to mapquest. Oh well, at least Blackrock isn’t going anywhere . . . will always be six hours away. :clapping::cool:

There have been 4 East Coast LDRS events in the last 12 years . Thats a pretty good average I would say . We do need another site down in your area though .
To me, anywhere I can’t drive to in a day is “West”; about 1000 miles from upstate NY. I don’t recall any LDRS within that range lately; any hope? At least I’ve got URRG.

The huge problem for us hosting an LDRS here in the Mid-West (which is really just the start of the middle) is that we are living in the corn-belt of the USA. The vast majority of the corn and soybeans grown in this country is grown right here. I'm living in the middle of seed corn land where almost all of the seed corn is grown. And that basically means that we don't do much rocket flying from May thru October. And what spaces are available, like state parks etc., we are sharing with a whole lot of other outdoor-folks/groups which makes hosting an LDRS very difficult.

Sure, we managed LDRS 33 up at Bong State Recreation Area, but it was extremely difficult to carve out the dates with the State of Wisconsin folks in order to host the launch because of all the other groups that use the same space, but don't need that space mostly empty like we need it. I'm not saying it won't ever happen again, but it was very very difficult getting the State of Wisconsin to let us monopolize the space in order to host LDRS 33 on thier land.

And yes, I rarely ever post on a Sunday, let alone a Sunday morning. But its the Sunday After Christmas. So I only have one service at 10:30, and its a Hymn Sing! Lots of fun!

Here's hoping you all had as great of a Christmas as I had. And my family hasn't even met yet: Lunch today! My mom (she's 39 and holding) is bringing the pies! Ooooohhhhhh My.......

Merry Chirstmas! And May God bless you with a Happy New Year!

Brad, the "It's Still Christmas!" "Rocket Rev.," Wilson

ps: In my family, I'm now the "Jolly Old Guy" who goes "Ho Ho Ho!" My goodness how times have changed........

I have to agree. Driving over 1500 miles for a launch is too much. It is too bad there is not a public site in the middle fo the country.

When it comes right down to it the Tripoli board can only choose from whoever puts in a bid. The BoD approaches prefectures on the opposite side of the USA just to make sure, but under no circumstances can the board pressure a prefecture to take LDRS.
By far most members understand that, but every year the BoD receives complaints that they didn’t pick this or that corner of the USA. This year someone was angry that we didn’t keep it in the pacific NW at least after OROC withdrew. Again, that’s just not possible unless there’s another bid from the PacNW; there wasn’t.
The BoD is very grateful that ROC was willing to help. I know that this, the 40th LDRS, will be an excellent LDRS. Every different site has its unique characteristics that lead to a memorable LDRS; for me that’s the value of a traveling LDRS.
The only alternative was to have no LDRS this year. I predict that some year that will happen and I believe that the negative comments by some contribute towards that.

Back