NSL 2011

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If I go, then I'll help too, unless I have my in-law with me...it'd be his first time and I wouldn't want to leave him alone...but it may still work out....I'll be near Fudd's camp...where do I check in for volunteering?

Also...I'd like in on the camera contest.......

I will take both of you up on your offer to help look for me Friday and we can work out the details. I'm going to be busy Saturday Morning with the breakfast scramble contest. I'm sure Payton could use a hand getting out the first round of cameras.

I will be at NSL on Friday you can look for me then, one way to find me, I have one of the few green easy ups.

Mike Kramer

hehe will do :)

Look for me on Friday Night, plus if you want Payton was planning on loaning out the first round of cameras Friday Night so people can get them rigged for Saturday.

Th kid was trying a few things out in preparation for NSL at the last aluch, I launched a mop and he launched a pool noodle, dates are wrong on the cameras (need to fix that for NSL)

I loaded video of the Mop and and Noodle Cam up on you tube
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dIqlEENDTKk for the noodle cam

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dIqlEENDTKk for the Mop Cam

Mike K

Eggs will be available for the Contest (and for breakfast!)

Troop 594 will be back with the full kitchen and has offered to sell (raw) eggs to the contestants in the breakfast scramble.

Troop 594 sets up a full mobile kitchen serving up cooked breakfasts, lunch and dinner. If you are planning to come to NSL, the food the troop sells is great, and a lot less trouble than bringing the stuff up yourself.

Mike K

if i remember from last rocstock, they make great burgers, and an easy up where food can be eaten is always a relief from the sun.

btw, i'll probably wake up bright and early in the morning since the dreaded "W" (rocchat anyone?) will probably be just annoying enough to wake me.

i'm just thinking of what i'll need to camp out on the playa for the weekend.

anyone have a checklist?

I'll be flying down to NSL. No plans to launch anything, just traveling to Lucerne to enjoy other people's flights.

John

I heard rumor of there being a tower launcher. Is this the case? I'm only launching a MD 38mm bird, so I don't need much. I was gonna build some fly-apart rail guides, but if I don't have to do that in the next few days, that'd be a plus.

i remember seeing 1 at the last rocstock, and im sure it'll be here at this one, but i think it's someone's private rig. i know there's the memorial tower, but it's not a tower tower, it's a big rail tower thing. though i am not positive:2:

btw, does anyone know what time we should get there on thursday to help setup?

When we were cleaning out the trailer there was a small tower launcher in there, it should handle a 38mm but I can't remember how tall it was.

alright, Rick will be arriving with the trailer at 7am to begin set up, i'm thinking ill be there around 7:30-8 depending on traffic, but 5:30 is early enough for anyone to wake up lol

When we were cleaning out the trailer there was a small tower launcher in there, it should handle a 38mm but I can't remember how tall it was.

Sounds good. As its a MD rocket not using anything particularly long burn, I don't think I'll need more than a foot or two of guidance...

The "low turnout" that I had mentioned was for the banquet; turnout for NSL looks to be fantastic, as is usual for ROCstock. I suspect that many folks didn't register for the banquet because they didn't want to leave the site and miss the night launching on Saturday night.

Typically, when you include all of the spectators/spouses/kids/etc., we have upwards of 1000 people out on the lake bed for any given ROCstock. I can't honestly see NSL doing anything but adding to that number. So, "low turnout" for the whole launch is something I sincerely doubt we'll ever have to worry about.

As far as setup for NSL/ROCstock 33 goes:

I will be out on the lake bed by Thursday morning at 7:00 AM with the ROC trailer. (I may actually be there the night before, but setup is still scheduled to start at 7:00 AM Thursday morning.) Volunteers to help with setup are welcome, and will get to fly on Thursday after setup is complete.

John Wahlquist will be on-site on Wednesday to do the paint striping and set up the flag line. He could use a few volunteers to help him out, as well. So, if you're going to be out on Wednesday, please give him a hand.

If one of you has a little free time sometime during the launch saturday, do you think I could get you to walk me through prepping my first DD? Someone offered to spot me some black powder, and I'll be bringing some nitrile gloves, but I want to make sure I do it right the first time, so I don't have to bring a shovel.

If one of you has a little free time sometime during the launch saturday, do you think I could get you to walk me through prepping my first DD? Someone offered to spot me some black powder, and I'll be bringing some nitrile gloves, but I want to make sure I do it right the first time, so I don't have to bring a shovel.

i've run through the setup of mine, and i know how they work, but i need to test the charges before i'm confident with my helping abilities. have you been able to ground test your ejection charges?

and see ya next thursday rick :)

Negative on the ground test. I am not in the possession of black powder period. Plus I live in a city and the gunshot sound is not appreciated. I'll try to do that there, but I'll do the calculations at home. (Anyone know what the equations are for that?)

what city do you live in? i think i'm going to ask the local fire department if i can do a ground test in their training yard. it's a big concrete slab with big fences around. though the explosion would echo lol

Ground test at Lucern, that is what I am planning. No lack of space for it there and the noise it not an issue.

Ground test at Lucern, that is what I am planning. No lack of space for it there and the noise it not an issue.

when you planning on it? i kinda want to do it before many people are there, partially for safety, partially for complaints of explosions on the ground.

Ground tests aren't usually a problem on the lakebed if you let on of the clubs Board members know before hand so people know whats going on.

Last edited:
when you planning on it? i kinda want to do it before many people are there, partially for safety, partially for complaints of explosions on the ground.

I am not sure of the exact time. We are driving in from Arizona on Thursday and and it take a little while to recover and setup camp. So friday morning would be fine or even saturday, but I am flexible. Nothing fancy, a couple of tarps and battery and controller to set off the charges. I will be in a camp with fellow SARA members. Will pm you my cell phone number to help you locate our camp.

Last edited:
so i don't think i'll be able to find an easy up in time for the launch, and i'm wondering if anyone would be willing to let me bring a chair and small table and work under the shade of ur easy up while i prep my DD rocket? i'll bring liquids :D

As mentioned, I won't be there till Saturday, but you are welcome under my shade structure. I'll also be bringing a card table or something like that.

I finally got around to doing some building for NSL (I have like 3 different projects I need to finish!!). I'm a 99 cent store rocket part collector, there are many cool rocket parts that you can find there. Lately, me and the boy have been launching mops. They actually fly really well and starting with a 99 cents store mop (yes you can buy a mop for less than a buck) it is tough to go wrong.

For NSL I figured I would spiff things up a bit, I have been launching mops on F and G motors, but figured it is time got the H motor mop. The mop flies like a bottle rocket, motor and parachute on top, mop head on the bottom. I still need to make a nose cone, but it will be ready to go for NSL. Oh, it tube launches using a 4' cardboard tube.

mop 3.jpg

mop 7.jpg

so i don't think i'll be able to find an easy up in time for the launch, and i'm wondering if anyone would be willing to let me bring a chair and small table and work under the shade of ur easy up while i prep my DD rocket? i'll bring liquids :D

You are more then welcome to share ours (assuming the winds cooperate). I am a sun hating wimp and will stay under shade as much as possible. Hopefully I can get a good spot to setup. Launch a little, watch a lot!

Last edited:
I have been asked about the rules for the Egg Launch Saturday Morning at NSL

they are;

Official Rules
NSL 2011 Breakfast Scramble
1. Eggs need to be real eggs that came from a real chicken
2. Eggs need to be raw
3. Wrap up or protect the eggs any way you want BUT the judge needs to be able to break open the egg after launch by hitting it on the edge of a bowl like you would to normally crack it open. If you wrap it you need to unwrap it in front of a judge and then hand it to the judge unbroken.
4. The rocket needs to actually launch and clear the launch pad under rocket power.
5. There will be two winners, one for the first unbroken egg brought to the judges table, and the second for the rocket that launches the MOST eggs.
6. The winner of the first unbroken egg will be the person with the first egg,
a. Launched​
b. Brought to the judges table still in the rocket​
c. Has their egg taken from the rocket and unwrapped​
d. Hands their unbroken egg to the judge​
e. The judge breaks open the egg​
7. The winner of the most eggs launched it the person who
a. Has the most eggs launched in a single rocket​
b. Has all the eggs launched be unbroken (one broken = disqualified)​
c. The payload needs to be opened in front of the judges​
d. The judges will break open each egg to verify the eggs are good​
8. Check-in will run from 7:00 AM to 7:15 AM

the roll away trash bin will smell pretty interesting on sunday :D

so no need to RSO to judge the competition? just line up and crack some eggs?

I could use some help with the contest (those who offered to help here is your chance!!). I do need a few RSO for the morning, 7:00. Plus a couple of judges (can be the same people) to judge the cracking open of the eggs. I got rid of the cook them requirement since the LCO's were worried about eating semi cooked old eggs.

The first two people who tell me they are going to help get breakfast on me (cooked by Troop 594). Total time I need is about 1 hour.

Mike Kramer

P.S. Payton can use help with the video contest Saturday Morning too!

P.S. Payton can use help with the video contest Saturday Morning too!

I would like to help out but I'm planning on entering the contest! I've decided to scrap doing both the keychain camera along with my video camera unless all falls into place. I would be curious how the two compare side by side. I put the final coat of paint on my rocket this morning. I still have to do some wiring for the altimeters but all should be good to go. I can't wait!

i'm up for anythign and everything. ill be at the range thursday morning (hopefully getting a spot on the flight line) and i'll be available all saturday morning until my 3 way 29mm drag race :D

the race will include:
an all CF rocket
an all glass rocket
a paper and ply rocket

which will win :D

i'm up for anythign and everything. ill be at the range thursday morning (hopefully getting a spot on the flight line) and i'll be available all saturday morning until my 2 way 29mm drag race :D

the race will include:
an all CF rocket
an all glass rocket

which will win :D

Back