NFPA 1122/1127

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zanfar

Reaction score
I wanted a copy of the NFPA codes 1122 and 1127 as I am working on a launch control system. The actual text of the code was a little tedious to come by, and not in any savable form, so I made one. I figured I would post it here in case someone else wants a copy.

Note: This is a PDF created from images, so the text is a little hard to read at some magnifications, and you can't search the document. There isn't much I can do about this without retyping or OCR-ing the whole thing, which I have no desire to do.

NFPA codes 1122 and 1127, 2013 revision, accessed 8-Dec-2014
redacted--see conversation below

Last edited:
This is copyrighted material. You should delete the pdf. If you need a copy of NFPA 1122-27 buy one.

The other question is "what revision does your laws refer to?" Here in CT we're on the 1995 version. The law, sponsored by the Authority Having Jurisdiction (AHJ) refers to that version. Wouldn't matter if the next version said we could fly next to highways. We'd still be measuring 1500 feet. I spoke to the state fire marshal (the AHJ) and he said he'd update it, well...never cause he's not certain if anyone flys HP rockets and is much more worried about regs concerning occupied buildings.

My bad, apparently their legal language (which isn't a part of the "freely available" document I got from them) differs quite a bit from the spirit of their human-readable language.

As part of its commitment to enhancing public safety, NFPA makes its codes and standards available online to the public for free. Online access to NFPA's consensus documents conveniently places important safety information on the desktops of traditional users as well as others who have a keen interest. NFPA is committed to serving the public's increasing interest in technical information, and online access to these key codes is a valuable resource.[\QUOTE]

I'm not sure I agree with their policy, especially since it is part of my state code which I am legally required to follow (but apparently can't legally print), but I'll take it down for the sake of the forum.

Interesting legal quandary: is my state legally allowed to reproduce for me, text from a copyright document, where reproduction is a reserved right, that they include by reference in the state statutes? And if the state cannot provide me a copy of the law, can I reasonably be expected to follow it?

Note: none of the above should imply that I will do anything other than fully comply with all state and federal statues and safety codes, I've just never considered the implications of state legal text under copyright.
Ironically, during research, I discovered that Idaho is in a legal battle about this point at the moment. It will be interesting to see the results.

The other question is "what revision does your laws refer to?"

Idaho references the 2013 version of the NFPA.

Yep, Idaho's one of the States that "codified" the NFPA Rules. This really makes it easier on us to find launch locations. The only other rule or regulation I could find is a 700 foot ceiling on flights inside Boise City limits. I have launched on school ground all over town, most of the parks with no troubles at all. I try to leave the place cleaner than when I got there, Picking other's trash along the way. That helps, too.

Interesting legal quandary: is my state legally allowed to reproduce for me, text from a copyright document, where reproduction is a reserved right, that they include by reference in the state statutes? And if the state cannot provide me a copy of the law, can I reasonably be expected to follow it?
Lookup VEECK v. SOUTHERN BUILDING CODE CONGRESS INTERNATIONAL, INC.

Looks like as it is in our state code then copywrite laws do not apply...unless it's another can of worms if published online...where you can find necked photos of nearly everyone of consequence...but a law...or rule...or a set of "guidelines"... :p

Idaho Code is a simple paragraph in a 20 page document on Explosives and Fireworks. It just says to follow NFPA 1122, 1125, and 1127. That's it.

Acquiring a copy of NFPA 1122/25/27 however you see fit is a personal decision. Providing copies of that information on a web forum is a potential issue. Since Tripoli and NAR members had a hand in their creation, following those safety codes put you in compliance with NFPA. Of course, local jurisdictions always have the final say.

Last edited:
I wanted a copy of the NFPA codes 1122 and 1127 as I am working on a launch control system. The actual text of the code was a little tedious to come by, and not in any savable form, so I made one. I figured I would post it here in case someone else wants a copy.

Note: This is a PDF created from images, so the text is a little hard to read at some magnifications, and you can't search the document. There isn't much I can do about this without retyping or OCR-ing the whole thing, which I have no desire to do.

NFPA codes 1122 and 1127, 2013 revision, accessed 8-Dec-2014
redacted--see conversation below
Go to the NFPA site where you can read any NFPA document for free using FREE ACCESS. You can read it online, but the system will not allow you to copy. If you want to download a pdf or get a paper copy, you can purchase the document from the same site. Remember, NFPA is a not-for-profit organization and they need to support themselves.

Back