The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SecretSquirrel

Reaction score
Hi everyone

I just got back into rocketry last October after more than 20 years absence.
I got my first Estes rocket in ‘73 I think. It was a Quasar that came in a starter set. I still have the launch pad and controller from the set but lost the rocket years ago. I do still have my original Mark II, Estes Starliner and Scout.

About 12 years ago I built some kits for my niece and nephew, some of them never flew. They loved launching the rockets but absolutely hated running to recover them.

Last October I was in a hobby shop looking for something to build that wouldn’t turn into a huge project. I build a few plastic car kits here and there but wanted something different. I saw a Quest Super Cruiser and knew what I wanted. I took it home and built it over the weekend. Most fun I’ve had building an a long time.

I went back and got 2 more kits and built them. Then I was hooked. I joined the Dallas Area Rocket Society and went to my first launch since ‘78 last month. IT WAS A BLAST! (Pun intended)

I’ve finished 9 kits now and have an Orbital Transport, a Quest Intruder and a Fliskits Tumbleweed ready to paint. I’m also cloning an Estes Interceptor.

SS,

Glad to hear you've come to your senses and started blasting away!!

Ain't it fun?:D

Welcome!!!!

bmhiii

Originally posted by SecretSquirrel
...that wouldn’t turn into a huge project.
hehe...

Hang around this neck of the woods long enough and you'll be buying dremel tools, sanders, lathes, drill presses; you'll be building you own centering rings, turning your own nose cones, making your own decals, and on and on.

You laugh... just watch and see. :D

Welcome...

And best listen to Milo and start looking for sales on equipment now! I did the same thing you describe, and I've already got the bench sander, Dremel and drill priss on my birthday list!

welcome back to the best hobby there is *S* and i'm thrilled that I could help be a part of the return! :D

Milo is right. I have now purchased an ALPS printer for the sole purpose of making decals. Fortunately, I already have some basic bench tools. My Delta belt/disc sander is a great help when it comes to toucjinh up fins.

Welcome!

Amazing how hard the model rocket bug bites the second time around, isn't it?

Ken Holloway, NAR 378336, L-1

Thanks for the welcome guys.

I have a Dremel tool already, so I guess I'm on my way to serious stuff.:p

I guess I'm being a showoff but here's a pic of my older rockets.

OK in order!!!

Astron Mark....Starliner...Astron scout

What did I win????!!!

sandman

Originally posted by sandman
OK in order!!!

Astron Mark....Starliner...Astron scout

What did I win????!!!

sandman

well, sandman, not sure what you won, but from over here it looks like you pegged the geek-o-meter! LOL

Sorry, you didn't win because your answer wasn't in the form of a question.:p

Besides the first one isn't a Mark, it's a Mark II. nyah nyah nyah

I KNEW that!

Look at the last two on the left.

I was testing you!

sandman

Back