Quantcast

New launch pad

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

muddymooose

Hoopy Frood
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
I started building bigger rockets and using rail lugs/buttons so had to come up with a better launch pad. I spent a day dreaming this up. It's about 30 pounds of steel with 30" legs and receivers for an 8' length of 1010 and 6' of 1/4" rod. I sure don't miss the Estes tinfoil hardware.

launchpad.jpg

Tonimus

Reaction score
Looks good. The only thing you may think about changing in the future is 3 legs instead of 4. That way all the legs contact the ground and can't wobble like 4 can.

muddymooose

Hoopy Frood
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
I seriously considered doing this one on 3 legs but decided to skip the extra machining time for now. I expect the first time this thing wobbles I'll be back in the shop doing a 3-leg.

DRAGON64

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Looks really good, I am a firm believer in low profile launch pads. Have you put the pad to use yet?

muddymooose

Hoopy Frood
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Looks really good, I am a firm believer in low profile launch pads. Have you put the pad to use yet?
I used it a few times, but since I started going to club launches for HPR stuff it has just been sitting in the garage. I'm sure I'll still use it for LPR/MPR when I get back to it. Even with a launch rod it's still a lot more stable than a plastic launch pad.

Handeman

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
I used it a few times, but since I started going to club launches for HPR stuff it has just been sitting in the garage. I'm sure I'll still use it for LPR/MPR when I get back to it. Even with a launch rod it's still a lot more stable than a plastic launch pad.
Good luck with that. I've been there, done that, and bought the t-shirt!

I've got a low profile pad that takes 1/8" to 1/4" rods that has sat since I started going to club launches for HPR. I thought "I'm sure I'll still use it for LPR/MPR when I get back to it." also. I haven't used it in over 10 years now.

Maybe you'll be different... We can only hope.

Last edited:

muddymooose

Hoopy Frood
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
I get that, especially since I'm focused mostly on "bigger/better/higher/faster" and that necessitates club launches with a waiver. At the same time I have a friend and a dad with ample acreage I use for more casual launches. Friends and family like to see rocket launches now and then, so I imagine I'll eventually use it on occasion.