Need a good coffee grinder

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

astronwolf

Reaction score
I go through coffee grinders every few years. They work for a while, then break. Need a new one. Anyone have recommendations for a replacement coffee grinder that they like?

I've been through a few over the past few years. The most recent is a Capresso Infinity. It's a well built conical burr unit. Much quieter than the ones I've burned through in the past. So far I'm very pleased with it for the price compared to the ~$50 disposables I've gotten a couple of years out of in the past.

https://www.capresso.com/coffee-grinders/conical-burr.html

Strictly used units for me. I used to burn thru two or three a year. Brand made no difference. There are some real grinding snobs out there.
Figured that out a few decades ago. Um, not for coffee-see my user name.

Here's my mom's coffee grinder. It might be 60 years old. Loud as hell, fraying cracked rubber power cord... No interlock.

I don't think you can buy one like that.

She doesn't want a new one. "Oh, it's fine dear."

Some of my earliest memories, around 3 years old,IMG_2023-04-28-14-56-42-943.jpg are the sound of the grinder in the morning, and the yummy smell of Peet's (from the original store on Vine in Berkeley).

All grinders will work. I recommend that you never grind metals and I have them labeled for chemical types.

For coffee I use a Baratza Encore. It's the next notch up from the Capresso without going totally high end. It doesn't have the by-weight or timer features, it just grinds; the only adjustment is the fineness - nice and simple.

For grinding other stuff I can't say. Just remember they are not explosion proof. 😉

For coffee I use a Baratza Encore. It's the next notch up from the Capresso without going totally high end. It doesn't have the by-weight or timer features, it just grinds; the only adjustment is the fineness - nice and simple.

For grinding other stuff I can't say. Just remember they are not explosion proof. 😉
Fellow Baratza Encore user here. I strongly recommend those seeking grinders for coffee look for a conical burr grinder. For grinding other stuff, I likewise concur with your thoughts. I have no direct advice other than to exercise caution.

Assuming we're talking coffee beans here, I've had a Capresso Infinity for twenty years. It' a tank.

You can even get OEM burr assembly replacements. I did that a couple years ago. Brand new again.

I use this one, its cheap and just works:
www.krupsusa.jpg

I've used this type of grinder since like forever. They do work, for a while, but eventually break and end up in the landfill. I'd like to make an attempt to get away from this kind of cheap, throw-away equipment. I don't know if it is even possible to do that anymore.

All grinders will work. I recommend that you never grind metals and I have them labeled for chemical types.

Thread drift... complements of a Forum Global Mod. I suppose this is where I should be grateful that we still have free speech in the USA.

Assuming we're talking coffee beans here, I've had a Capresso Infinity for twenty years. It' a tank.

You can even get OEM burr assembly replacements. I did that a couple years ago. Brand new again.

Thanks to anyone that recommended a conical burr grinder FOR COFFEE. I looked at all your recommendations, even for the Krups, and we decided to risk spending the $100 for the Capresso Infinity.

Thanks to anyone that recommended a conical burr grinder FOR COFFEE. I looked at all your recommendations, even for the Krups, and we decided to risk spending the $100 for the Capresso Infinity.
Sorry, but you did not specify what it was for, and in this hobby coffee grinders are used for chemical processing as well.

I've used this type of grinder since like forever. They do work, for a while, but eventually break and end up in the landfill. I'd like to make an attempt to get away from this kind of cheap, throw-away equipment. I don't know if it is even possible to do that anymore.
Ive had mine for 3 years, no issues thus far, YMMV.

Back