Old Photos from Point 39 in Coffee County, GA (1990s)

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

John Kemker

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Was going through stuff in the office/man-cave and ran across some old photos. Just scanned them and I'm posting them here for folks to see. This was the field in Coffee County, Georgia where Paul Gennrich and John Cato held launches Tom Binford was there, as well.

The rockets that are white with spot-glazing putty on the fin roots were mine. One of them is a LOC EZI-65. The other is a AAA I-Max. No provenance on the other rockets in the photos.

LP-Point39-1.png

Looks like a big field. Did they loose the field due to crops?

This site was I believe actually in West Green GA, just outside of Douglas and belonged to Super Sod. I was stationed at Charleston AFB and got back into rocketry in the mid to late 80s. Somehow I heard about Tripoli Coastal Georgia. At the time they were flying at an old helicopter training field west of Savannah. Paul Gennrich was Prefect, John Cato, Earl Cagle, Tom Binford and others were regulars. We would drive down on flying weekends, usually for a one day launch. The field (Sand Hill) was nice but limited. John Cato who lived in Nicholls GA is the one who located the West Green field and did all of the legwork. He managed to have it designated as a range, only one phone call to the FAA to activate and we were good to fly. Sometimes if I would have a weekend off and if the weather looked good, I would call John and see if he felt like launching. We would call around and see who all could make it, those were some of my most enjoyable rocket launches. John always wanted to have bigger launches and worked toward that end. We ended up with some people like Ross Dunton and Mike Platt driving pretty long distances to come fly. This was the place I first met the infamous Dangerous Dave Gawlik. It was a great place to fly being two almost 1 mile dia. circles laid out in a figure eight totaling almost 2 miles long and a mile wide. This was before the days of good altimeters and dual deployment. If you went into the pines off the field, recovery was questionable.

In 1992 it became clear the USAF really was going to retire the beloved C-141. The replacement, the C-17 had no Flight Engineer so I was scrambling to find a new airframe. In 93 I ended up at Tinker AFB in OKC flying the E-3. Some time after I left, the fireworks began with John C and the field was lost forever. I wasn't there so I can't comment. There are others who know better what happened but we lost John in 2015 so he is unable to provide his side. You can still find the old field on Google Maps but it looks like it may have been plowed for regular crops. It's unfortunate, it was one of the best places I have flown in the Southeast.

I Still have some old VHS tapes from the early 90s at West Green. If anyone wants to try and convert them or just see them, let me know.

This site was I believe actually in West Green GA, just outside of Douglas and belonged to Super Sod. I was stationed at Charleston AFB and got back into rocketry in the mid to late 80s. Somehow I heard about Tripoli Coastal Georgia. At the time they were flying at an old helicopter training field west of Savannah. Paul Gennrich was Prefect, John Cato, Earl Cagle, Tom Binford and others were regulars. We would drive down on flying weekends, usually for a one day launch. The field (Sand Hill) was nice but limited. John Cato who lived in Nicholls GA is the one who located the West Green field and did all of the legwork. He managed to have it designated as a range, only one phone call to the FAA to activate and we were good to fly. Sometimes if I would have a weekend off and if the weather looked good, I would call John and see if he felt like launching. We would call around and see who all could make it, those were some of my most enjoyable rocket launches. John always wanted to have bigger launches and worked toward that end. We ended up with some people like Ross Dunton and Mike Platt driving pretty long distances to come fly. This was the place I first met the infamous Dangerous Dave Gawlik. It was a great place to fly being two almost 1 mile dia. circles laid out in a figure eight totaling almost 2 miles long and a mile wide. This was before the days of good altimeters and dual deployment. If you went into the pines off the field, recovery was questionable.

In 1992 it became clear the USAF really was going to retire the beloved C-141. The replacement, the C-17 had no Flight Engineer so I was scrambling to find a new airframe. In 93 I ended up at Tinker AFB in OKC flying the E-3. Some time after I left, the fireworks began with John C and the field was lost forever. I wasn't there so I can't comment. There are others who know better what happened but we lost John in 2015 so he is unable to provide his side. You can still find the old field on Google Maps but it looks like it may have been plowed for regular crops. It's unfortunate, it was one of the best places I have flown in the Southeast.

I Still have some old VHS tapes from the early 90s at West Green. If anyone wants to try and convert them or just see them, let me know.
Thanks for the history. Shame the field is now full of crops.

The rocket on the right of the first picture (lp-point39-1) is my 4" 2 stage test vehicle. Worked, never flew another 2 stage high power again.
Looks like John Cato on the left of the last picture (lp-point39-8).

I do have videos from the time that include launches from there but they are part of 2 hour DVD format files.

Here are a couple of pics from probably one of the last launches at Sand Hill before TCG moved to .39. First is John Cato with his Nike and another TCG member, Kurt, I don't remember his last name. Next is Tom Binford with I think one of his smaller Kloud Busters. We are setup on one of the old runways. Pretty sure Sand Hill is still there but mostly a sports park now.

Attachments

• JC Nike.jpg
    JC Nike.jpg
    137.7 KB · Views: 0
  • TB.jpg
    TB.jpg
    118 KB · Views: 0
Here is a very early and informal launch at .39 (West Green), probably around 1990. You can see Tom's gold Trans Am, John's Blazer and my RX 7. In those days one pad was enough. Even with a small group, launches could move pretty slow. John wanted to video everything and countdowns were held until he was ready. John's Blazer was well traveled having taken he and Tom to Black Rock at least once but I think more.

Attachments

• WG.jpg
    WG.jpg
    232.2 KB · Views: 0
Back