NAR Records

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Please read the instructions at the link above and at https://www.nar.org/contest-flying/...ited-states-model-rocket-performance-records/

My interpretation of this is that you have to do it at a NAR-sanctioned launch with a Contest Director. And you have to use an approved altimeter if this an altitude record.
If there are no NAR Sections in your area, or they are unwilling to provide Contest opportunities, it only takes 2 NAR Members to start a new Section. Then, you "call the shots" !

Dave F.

It's really easier than it sounds. All you have to do is register an NRC launch online 2 days in advance, and you just need 2 NAR members to fly. Basically you and a buddy with very slight advance planning.

Edit: one important point is that the person who registers the NRC launch becomes the "contest director" for the launch and is responsible for sending the flight card and entry form to the records committee in case a record is set. This is different than uploading the NRC results. The person who sets the record can also send them in to the records committee, but the "contest director" has to sign off on them if they are not the same person. No NAR section is needed for any of this.

Last edited:
It's really easier than it sounds. All you have to do is register an NRC launch online 2 days in advance, and you just need 2 NAR members to fly. Basically you and a buddy with very slight advance planning.
Dave,

A serious question . . .

1654573454996.png

Usually two Timers are employed for each flight and, since the Competitor would be one of the Timers, that would require at least 3 NAR Members, right ?

Do the Timers have to be NAR Members ?

Dave F.

Some of those records seem a little...odd, so I understand your uncertainty about the records and how they work.

For example, a Rule 22 Payload-Altitude for C class and C impulse has a 19m recording breaking entry from 1996 still on the website? What's going on there?

Some of those records seem a little...odd, so I understand your uncertainty about the records and how they work.

For example, a Rule 22 Payload-Altitude for C class and C impulse has a 19m recording breaking entry from 1996 still on the website? What's going on there?
Perhaps, NAR Sections, for the most part, are no longer flying NAR Competition ?

Dave F.

Dave,

A serious question . . .

View attachment 522053

Usually two Timers are employed for each flight and, since the Competitor would be one of the Timers, that would require at least 3 NAR Members, right ?

Do the Timers have to be NAR Members ?

Dave F.
In 30.1, only one timer is required now, and there is no requirement that they be NAR members, nor even an age requirement. So you can definitely do NRC with just two NAR members (which was one of the design goals). The other flyer times your flights and signs off on your flight results.

It used to be that a minimum of two timers were required, but that got changed after they started having timer shortages at NARAM. Even with mandatory range duty for all competitors, it was getting to where there weren't enough people available to time all the flights when everybody wanted to launch at the same time when thermals came through. In the really old days, the NARAM host club was expected to arrange for timers, but the LPR clubs were much bigger then, and NARAM was then the largest sport rocketry event in the US...it is no longer even in the top 10.

To answer the most recent question, the days of larger purpose-driven LPR competition events are over due to the now tiny participation rate and the fact that non-NARAM events no longer count toward the national titles. Some of the bigger ones like ECRM once drew 50-100+ contestants, but even since NRC was instituted to try to make it easier to compete, only ~100 people nationwide post NRC scores each year. Interestingly, a majority (I counted one year recently and it was about 2/3) of those 100 people seem to come to NARAM every year; there are relatively few "casual" competitors who fly NRC locally but don't go to NARAM.

Last edited:

Looks like Division C Impulse C-motor was 721m. Looks like the entry at the very end was formatted differently than the rest (radio control vs altimeter?), so possibly a typo?

Sandy.

Attachments

• 1655073446386.png
    1655073446386.png
    242.4 KB · Views: 1
  • 1655073687812.png
    1655073687812.png
    321.8 KB · Views: 1
In 30.1, only one timer is required now, and there is no requirement that they be NAR members, nor even an age requirement. So you can definitely do NRC with just two NAR members (which was one of the design goals). The other flyer times your flights and signs off on your flight results.

It used to be that a minimum of two timers were required, but that got changed after they started having timer shortages at NARAM. Even with mandatory range duty for all competitors, it was getting to where there weren't enough people available to time all the flights when everybody wanted to launch at the same time when thermals came through. In the really old days, the NARAM host club was expected to arrange for timers, but the LPR clubs were much bigger then, and NARAM was then the largest sport rocketry event in the US...it is no longer even in the top 10.

To answer the most recent question, the days of larger purpose-driven LPR competition events are over due to the now tiny participation rate and the fact that non-NARAM events no longer count toward the national titles. Some of the bigger ones like ECRM once drew 50-100+ contestants, but even since NRC was instituted to try to make it easier to compete, only ~100 people nationwide post NRC scores each year. Interestingly, a majority (I counted one year recently and it was about 2/3) of those 100 people seem to come to NARAM every year; there are relatively few "casual" competitors who fly NRC locally but don't go to NARAM.
Dave,

Thanks for the info . . . It was both interesting and sad, at the same time.

I miss the "good old days".

Dave F.

There is a separate category for RC controlled flights...but what applicability there is for an RC record for payload altitude, I have NO idea. They would generally be for glider events.

A great question for either Ryan Woebkenberg (who apparently holds that record) or O. Lee James (who is the current keeper of the status of records, and therefore that list).

Well the rules say that RC is allowed in any event unless the event rules say otherwise, and that RC records are listed separately. So Ryan for whatever reason lashed a standard payload onto an RC ship and flew it in C payload perhaps? I've done crazy things in the past because I had no other models to use :) I'm kinda surprised that record wasn't higher. But was it altimeter or optical tracking? :p :p

Well the rules say that RC is allowed in any event unless the event rules say otherwise, and that RC records are listed separately. So Ryan for whatever reason lashed a standard payload onto an RC ship and flew it in C payload perhaps? I've done crazy things in the past because I had no other models to use :) I'm kinda surprised that record wasn't higher. But was it altimeter or optical tracking? :p :p
Dave,

Good question . . .

I don't think that any altimeters "arm" that low ( at least not in 1996 ) and, therefor, could not have measured a 19 meter apogee.

So, either it was optical tracking or it's a "typo".

Dave F.

Why would anyone fly NRC if they did not intend to attend NARAM and content for a national championship? The old Stineway competition encouraged participation, while NRC diminishes it. In the good old days, setting a record required the applicant to submit a photo and drawing of the model. This was to help advance the state of the art. However, records are seldom a function of design and usually just a function of unusual weather, or altimeter/tracking error. later they eliminated the documentation requirements and records were almost automatic. You can look at tabulated records, but they are poor performance benchmarks, and you know nothing useful about them such as model weight, motors used, or flight conditions.

I am still wondering if R/C DT is allowed in non R/C events.

According to 9.11 you can use RC anywhere now, unless there is some specific ban or it's been disallowed for NARAM. There are no bans on RC in any of the duration events I looked at today so RC D/Ts are allowed across the board, though records set using an RC system would probably go into the RC category despite ambiguous wording in 14.2.2 designating RC records as applying to models using "active guidance" - does a dethermalizer constitute active guidance?

The NRC was instituted because classic competition participation was declining sharply, and it was explicitly intended to try to reverse the trend. However the participation numbers since NRC was put into effect show that it had no statistical effect at all - it's been generally stable at about 1.2 - 1.4% of membership. By contrast, TARC has 4000+ participants.

Why would anyone fly NRC if they did not intend to attend NARAM and content for a national championship?
The top "regular season" NRC competitors in each division and sections are acknowledged for their accomplishment, which is as it should be.

Can you cite the source of the data to reach that conclusion?
Here are the ones I know about or have personally attended:
IREC - near 1000 participants
LDRS
TARC finals - 500+
ROCStock 2x annually
Most NSLs
AirFest - 500+ attendees
DairyAire (TCC Fresno)
NASA Student Launch - their site documents 500 one year
NYPOWER

The top "regular season" NRC competitors in each division and sections are acknowledged for their accomplishment, which is as it should be.
I think contest rocketry is fun, and a beneficial activity for youths. Still, does this acknowledgement include trophies and prizes for non NARAM "regular season" winners, or just a ranking on an obscure website? Due to local inactivity, I have not competed in the NRC era. I still see NRC as primarily an easy way to qualify for a national championship at NARAM. If I was a youth, I think I would be more engaged with TARC than NRC.

I think contest rocketry is fun, and a beneficial activity for youths. Still, does this acknowledgement include trophies and prizes for non NARAM "regular season" winners, or just a ranking on an obscure website? Due to local inactivity, I have not competed in the NRC era. I still see NRC as primarily an easy way to qualify for a national championship at NARAM. If I was a youth, I think I would be more engaged with TARC than NRC.
As a non-competing parent of youth who are getting involved in competition flying, I can attest it is not trivial to figure out how to get started with NRC and/or FAI and/or where they overlap and/or why someone should care about one over the other. Presumably if there were a club near me that did this style of flying we would just show up and go along until we figured it out.

If I was a youth, I think I would be more engaged with TARC than NRC.
If I was a youth, TARC would not appeal to me, because it's a "school-sponsored event", of sorts, and the last place on earth I would want to be is in school !

If TARC were open to youths, without having to be affiliated with a school, I would be all over it . . . Now, make the prizes "substantial cash" ( $20,000 split among 5-10 team members doesn't go very far ) & turnout would be HUGE !

Dave F.

Last edited:
Back