Validity of NAR membership

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OzHybrid

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
How can I tell if a NAR member turns up at a Tripoli Launch if their membership is valid? Tripoli publishes their current membership certification and makes it available to all. NAR doesn't. And of course, a card tells you nothing other than they have one. They could have had their membership canceled.

Norm,
Are you aware that NAR insurance is not valid in Australia? From the NAR insurance website "Coverage is effective in the United States and Canada."
TRA insurance only covers it's members (the NAR's insurance does the same).

Norm,
Are you aware that NAR insurance is not valid in Australia? From the NAR insurance website "Coverage is effective in the United States and Canada."
TRA insurance only covers it's members (the NAR's insurance does the same).
Noted. Thanks. I'll make sure it goes on our website.

What actual law are you speaking of?? Perhaps you meant to say, " By NAR regulation", which is not a law.
That's what it says on the NAR website. That is the clip that comes up to the NAR site supplied by NAR, when you post a link to that specific page.
Then if you click on the link it will take you to that page where it will be expanded.

The LAW, certainly in Australia is that you cannot sell a rocket motor to an individual without them having the appropriate certification. The LAW would require a seller to be able to validate a membership that states the individual's certification.
In Australia that LAW comes through the CAA and has enforceable penalties. Additionally there are explosive handling rules that also have penalties. ( Still classified as that in Oz )

I'll leave someone else to address the US Laws. Which are different.
TRA level certification is globally recognised and should be able to be verified globally, and it is. Tripoli Insurance is valid wherever there is a prefecture.
NAR certification is recognised globally, but their insurance is only valid in US and Canada.

Last edited:
That's what it says on the NAR website. That is the clip that comes up to the NAR site supplied by NAR, when you post a link to that specific page.
Then if you click on the link it will take you to that page where it will be expanded.

The LAW, certainly in Australia is that you cannot sell a rocket motor to an individual without them having the appropriate certification. The LAW would require a seller to be able to validate a membership that states the individual's certification.
In Australia that LAW comes through the CAA and has enforceable penalties. Additionally there are explosive handling rules that also have penalties. ( Still classified as that in Oz )

I'll leave someone else to address the US Law. Which are different.
TRA level certification is globally recognised and should be able to be verified globally, and it is. Tripoli Insurance is valid wherever there is a prefecture.
NAR certification is recognised globally, but their insurance is only valid in US and Canada.
That may be the intent of the NAR statement. However, to my knowledge, it is not law, in the since, "that it is enforceable by a government agency". Now I could be all wrong. However, seeing no reference to the law, I doubt the latter.

By "cancelled" do you mean expired?
On my membership card there is an expiration date.
No, I got that, was thinking of disciplinary action being taken by an organisation on a member, their membership being canceled, but the rest of the world not fully aware of that action by the overarching body. They still physically held a card.
Hope that was vague enough.
I'm just looking at verification process that's current for validation purposes.
Seems the processes are in place so, I'm good.

That may be the intent of the NAR statement. However, to my knowledge, it is not law, in the since, "that it is enforceable by a government agency". Now I could be all wrong. However, seeing no reference to the law, I doubt the latter.
I would think that the next statement in his comment, where he says Australia law would not allow anyone to buy a motor without proper certification, that NAR/TRA certification would be required by Australian law.

Back