My TMP L1 Cert Flight

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Great flight I could see it go up and the arc over and the Event. But I could not see it come down or deploy a chute even in full size mode with my old eyes.

Glad the Release worked for you, I use them now instead of DD. ULSI teams have used them on L rockets at the NASA contests in Huntsville.

I did have to test my first one a few times in a sacrificial rocket because I did not bother to watch the maker's videos on how to pack the chute*. Once I did that "Bazinga"

* Yea I know how to pack chutes for decades, why do I have to watch a video... Two failures later with a not fully open chute in a sacrificial rocket I say "I better watch the video"... That sacrificial rocket** has a body tube crease from a hard landing but it still could fly with duck tape over that crease...

** An Estes Majestic on the E16 BP motors for easy testing at low cost when they were sold at Hobby Lobby at huge discounts.

Last edited:
Great flight I could see it go up and the arc over and the Event. But I could not see it come down or deploy a chute even in full size mode with my old eyes.

Glad the Release worked for you, I use them now instead of DD. ULSI teams have used them on L rockets at the NASA contests in Huntsville.

I did have to test my first one a few times in a sacrificial rocket because I did not bother to watch the maker's videos on how to pack the chute. Once I did that "Bazinga"
Yeah it was a life saver because it was way to windy to fly standard eject.

Congratulations. Keep up the hard work!

My son and I were in from St Louis and attended the launch. Fun day and the wind did make for some long walks!

Congratulations. Keep up the hard work!

My son and I were in from St Louis and attended the launch. Fun day and the wind did make for some long walks!
I think I remember you! Were you the one who shook John’s hand when he was prepping his rocket? I remeber hearing someone say they were from St. louis!

Congrats @jackiboi_11 !

Was that really a Der Big Red Max ?

What mods did you make to it to keep the fins on with an H195 motor ?

Very Nice !

How high did it fly ?

You ARE a legend in my mind too :)

-- kjh
It was not the estes 3 inch but it was my clone of there OOP 4 inch one. It had 1/4 ply fins and centering rings and I made it with epoxy so it stayed in one piece! It went about 1600 feet and the guy saying I’m a legend in my own mind was my very happy mentor!

It was not the estes 3 inch but it was my clone of there OOP 4 inch one. It had 1/4 ply fins and centering rings and I made it with epoxy so it stayed in one piece! It went about 1600 feet and the guy saying I’m a legend in my own mind was my very happy mentor!
Ahh !

So it was "Der Riesige Rote Max" ? :)

Nice !!

-- kjh

Im actually going to extend the Mega Der Red Max clone and glass the joints because me and my mentor decided that the fin joints were just too weak for the flights we want. It shall be named the Der Red Maximus! It will be extended about 15-20 inches. Should be cool!

Im actually going to extend the Mega Der Red Max clone and glass the joints because me and my mentor decided that the fin joints were just too weak for the flights we want. It shall be named the Der Red Maximus! It will be extended about 15-20 inches. Should be cool!
Are you going to go for electronic deployment in your extended and new and improved "Der Red Maximus" ?

-- kjh

Are you going to go for electronic deployment in your extended and new and improved "Der Red Maximus" ?

-- kjh
I don’t think so, but definitely going to use a JLCR. It’s my first time glassing anything so here’s what it looks like right now.

Attachments

• IMG_7460.jpeg
    IMG_7460.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_7459.jpeg
    IMG_7459.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 0
Should have removed the paint first.

But were these surface mounted? or were they through the wall?
The original had no glass on it. I sanded the crap out of it with 120 and 60 grit sandpaper and added little holes in the fins and airframe that don’t go all the way through for some rivets. They are through the wall fins.

Latest posts

Back