My COCs*

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
*Christmas Ornament Conversions

Rather than posting again to the "What I did today rocketry related" thread I started this one.
Did a search of any COCs, only came up with Micromeister's (may he RIP) MMX conversion of the Estes ornament about four years ago. Apparently that one flew erratically.
Now surely, SOMEONE has tried to get these to fly since their intro in 2014? Feel free to give us your pictures and build info.
Here's what I've done/working on:
1220190816.jpg
l to r
Estes 2019. Tumble recovery. Done, locked and loaded.
Estes 2018. Break apart recovery, rear eject. Need to attach Kevlar, glue back together, and paint.
Apogee 2019. Cut the nozzle and aft out for a MX motor tube which will extend all the way to the front, Rocketarium Rebel series style. May need to add nose weight. All fiberboard, so featherweight recovery.

Mele Kalikimaka:christmastree:

Update: Flew all three converted ornaments today.
First, Apogee COC, Micro Maxx motor, rear eject streamer recovery.
110120ApogeeCOC.jpg

Low and draggy but stable flight.

Next. Estes gold COC. 13mm, rear eject with break apart recovery.
110120Gold COC.jpg

Nice straight flight on an A10, but lost it in the baseball field somewhere between the bleachers and the first base line. Spent 15 minutes looking for it but to no avail. Maybe I'll get a free replacement next month. ;)

Finally the blue Estes COC.
110120BlueCOC.jpg
13mm A motor, tumble recovery.

This never left the pad. Don't know if it got hung up or possibly defective motor.
Will try again at a subsequent launch.
All in all a successful day.
Cheers.

You know, break apart recovery (no chute or streamer) may not be the best choice for a tiny rocket on a 13mm full A motor. It’s small, it’s gonna come down fast, and there’s no waving chute or streamer in the breeze to catch your eye.......

Kind of the same for featherweight Mosquitoes on a full A, if they were in a soap opera it would be, “One Life to Live.”

You know, break apart recovery (no chute or streamer) may not be the best choice for a tiny rocket on a 13mm full A motor. It’s small, it’s gonna come down fast, and there’s no waving chute or streamer in the breeze to catch your eye.......

Kind of the same for featherweight Mosquitoes on a full A, if they were in a soap opera it would be, “One Life to Live.”
He thought he needed the heavier motor because of the weight. In hindsight, a 1/4A woulda worked.

It was a Christmas Ornament. Now it's a rocket. First flight will be this Christmas. The ornament is 8 inches in diameter. It's 22.5 inches tall, a foot across and weights 17.5 ounces with a 36 inch chute. 29mm x 7 inch motor mount. It splits at the equator. CG just forward of the equator. Should be entertaining.

Attachments

• 20200508_184942.jpg
    20200508_184942.jpg
    131.3 KB · Views: 34
I notice that Estes has new 2020 Xmas ornaments on their website but showing out of stock.
Green, purple and red.
When they become available I may just have to pick one up for another conversion.
Heh.
One word:

STREAMERS!

2020 version came in the mail yesterday.
1122200738[1].jpg

Will need to grind out an opening in the back with a Dremel and stone.
1122200739[1].jpg

A BT-5 tube will fit in nicely.
Probably motor eject and featherweight recovery.
Not enough room for a streamer.
1122200740[1].jpg

TBC.

It was a Christmas Ornament. Now it's a rocket. First flight will be this Christmas. The ornament is 8 inches in diameter. It's 22.5 inches tall, a foot across and weights 17.5 ounces with a 36 inch chute. 29mm x 7 inch motor mount. It splits at the equator. CG just forward of the equator. Should be entertaining.
Very cool! Has that "Retro SciFi" feel to it. Mars Attacks 2: Christmas Invasion

I like your attitude. One didn't get off the pad, one got lost, one flew. 'Successful day'. Kinda like my attitude, 'If it had rockets in it, it's prolly a good day'.
Mine is “We’re here to learn something, and you usually learn more from a spectacular failure than an unqualified success”.

I like your attitude. One didn't get off the pad, one got lost, one flew. 'Successful day'. Kinda like my attitude, 'If it had rockets in it, it's prolly a good day'.
Except when the JLCR lands in the canal. Otherwise it’s a 99% success day.

Maybe a 98% day when the Brocket burns through the Kevlar and separates. :)

I guess you had to be there. After losing the ornament rocket, I told everyone to point their rockets in that direction so someone might accidentally step on the rocket as they retrieve their rocket. With tumble rockets, walking over them is pretty much the only way to find them planted in the grass.

Gives "Stepping on your on your own COC" a whole new meaning. At least he didn't trip over it.

Redemption flight.
The blue COC launched yesterday.
Good straight flight on an A10-3T.
The motor ejected out of the long engine hook.
(It was set up for tumble recovery ala Astron Sprint).
Recovered the motor casing, rocket was nowhere to be found.
Oh well, at least it didn't cost me anything.
2022-01-31 (10).png

Back