Rocketry Organization of California (ROC) January 8 2022 Launch: My flights and highlights

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

smstachwick

LPR/MPR sport flier with an eye to HPR and scale
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Although short, today's flying session was a learning experience as always. I took the time to test out some new camping equipment on Friday before people began arriving and provided some minor assistance in getting pads set up this morning, but my main reason for arriving so early was to maximize my flying time. This ended up being smart, as the range shut down at noon.

Flying began in the 8:00 hour. In that time I managed to get six flights across four of my airframes.

Flight 1: Super Star Trooper on an A10-3T. Conditions were still a bit gusty in the morning, calming down from the previous night. Even as a single-stager, it got blown off to the east. I walked right past it and had abandoned the search when I found it on the way back to camp.

View attachment trim.76FC0FEC-9651-4C55-A40C-EF7BC3A3507C.MOV

Flight 2: Super Star Trooper on an A10-0T staged to a 1/2A3-4T. With conditions having calmed down further, I decided it was time for the first two-stage flight of the day. Staging and recovery went off without a hitch. A gentleman by the name of Chuck, who set up camp right next to me, was kind enough to track the booster and return it to me while I recovered the sustainer.

View attachment trim.839296A8-BF1F-42F1-859B-03A8979E1C05.MOV

Flight 3: Generic E2X on a C6-3. Textbook flight, woosh-pop. Up and down. Just how I like it.

View attachment trim.E97C1BAB-D73A-4E8D-8F43-515004BDB40B.MOV

Flight 4: Super Goblin on a C11-0 staged to a C11-7. This flight was perhaps the riskiest one of the day. Although I had estimated the two-stage Goblin conversion to be stable, it was just that: an estimation. The RSO/LCO agreed that the configuration was probably stable enough, but that it should be flown as a heads-up flight. He also agreed to announce the flight over the PA system as being done by my girlfriend, who constructed the booster with just a little bit of hands-off guidance from me. The booster recovered perfectly, tumbling to a safe and undamaged landing, although it should be noted that the casing fell out. It probably just needed another ring of tape. The sustainer arced over a bit on the long delay and achieved a rare full deployment of the parachute I used to replace the second streamer, but it still managed to crack a fin on landing. I'm now convinced I need to upgrade the parachute to the next size up, 9 inches doesn't seem to be doing it. Perhaps 12 will finally allow the sustainer to leave the range undamaged.
View attachment trim.72818AFA-16E1-4832-9BA8-B8CA4D2B80E9.MOV

Apologies that the video didn’t come out great, I forgot to zoom out prior to liftoff. Still, liftoff, staging, and arcing over are visible/audible.

Flight 5: Hi-Flier XL on an E12-6. After having this configuration being denied flight by DART (no hard feelings, it is a bit of a ceiling buster), it finally got to fly here. I ended up having to replace the igniter, as it had been sitting in that motor for about a month and had broken in that time, but once I did that, it lifted off nicely. It arced over to the northeast, resulting in my farthest recovery trek all day, but I got it back in one piece without any more trouble than being a little out of breath.

Flight 6: Generic E2X. One of the last flights of the day, just minutes before the range closed. Boost, coast, and ejection looked good until it became clear the parachute had tangled. It deployed fully at about half of apogee, resulting in a soft landing and a short walk to the landing spot behind the flight line. Kind of an accidental JLCR flight.

That was it! I packed up and headed for home at noon.

Last edited:
It looks like a fun day of flying.
Sure was! I’m hoping attendance next time is sufficient to justify a longer flying day. 3 hours out, 4 hours of flying, and 3 hours back isn’t all that economical. But range time is so precious and the event is so fun that I’m not inclined to complain much more.

Nice flights! I'm digging that two-stage Goblin. C11s are fun, so that was fun squared!
I ended up getting matched pairs of D12-0s/7s for that as well, but this was smarter for a test flight.

I admit that for a long time I thought of C11s as sort of wimpy and unnecessary. My line of thinking was that if you want a C, fly an 18mm Estes C6 or Quest C12/C18 and save the 24mm size for D and up.

The Goblin is showing me otherwise. A C11 keeps a hot rod like that under control without needing to mess around with adapters.

C11 keeps a hot rod like that under control without needing to mess around with adapters.

Agreed. I like the hit they give and are a favorite in our Der Red Max with a 24mm mount without going too high.

Hopefully you get some great flights on a pair of D's in the future. That should really get up there!

Sure was! I’m hoping attendance next time is sufficient to justify a longer flying day. 3 hours out, 4 hours of flying, and 3 hours back isn’t all that economical. But range time is so precious and the event is so fun that I’m not inclined to complain much more.

Ouch. Yes, that’s a long drive for a half day of flying. It was cut short due to low attendance?

I liked this chance to see the field because that’s where LDRS will be held, and I’ve never seen it before. It looks like a great place for easy recovery.

I also liked the goblin 2-stage. The great thing about the C11-0 is that it stages low, so it’s easy to see the staging event happen. D12 to D12 would be pretty high. You can also mix D12 and C11 in a 2-stage. In that case I’d probably opt for C11 to D12 for a lower staging event instead of D12 to C11.

A few regular attendees said that attendance was pretty low compared to the average monthly launch. The crowd started small and thinned out more starting around 10 and continuing into the 11:00 hour. My understanding is that it’s because January launches have proven uncommon for ROC these last few years. They’ve been rained out and COVID’d out and no-waiver’d out of the last few years. I think it was…. @cerving , maybe, who said that they’ve not had a January launch since 2017.

(side note: this is the third time I’ve bumped into Cris at a launch event and I’ve failed to recognize him at the last two. I don’t know how that keeps happening, usually I’m pretty good about recognizing and remembering people. 🤷‍♂️ )

I was debating whether to mix or match the motors. I’ve still got a C11 matched pair left along with my D12s.

If I mix them, that gives me three additional flight profiles. C11-0/D12-7 for easier booster recovery, D12-0/C11-7 to make full use of the 7-second delay, and D12-0/D12-7 for maximum altitude. I feel like that would be a more thorough test of the rocket’s behavior than matching them for all four flights.

The lakebed is indeed sizeable. A little less so in the East-West axis but it’s still nothing to sneeze at. There is also plenty of space to the south, should your rocket boost or drift that way. The trickiest thing about the site is that the crust gives way to very soft sand. I got my truck stuck south of the road at November ROCstock when I overshot it the first night. Be sure your vehicle is configured so that somebody can pull or nudge you out, and have some tow straps handy. I brought a couple of hand trowels this time too, just in case.

Last edited:
Be advised this Saturday's launch may be short also.Wind picks up about 10 so arrive early. Est wind is 13-20. Since I can't make it around sunrise, I'm going to bail. Short of a tornado or Ark sized flood, I'll be at LDRS.

Be advised this Saturday's launch may be short also.Wind picks up about 10 so arrive early. Est wind is 13-20. Since I can't make it around sunrise, I'm going to bail. Short of a tornado or Ark sized flood, I'll be at LDRS.
I plan to head up tonight, camp overnight, and get up in time to fly when the range opens. I’m about 3 hours south and this is more practical for me than leaving at 5.

If you’re ever out there between now and LDRS and want to visit for a bit, look for my truck. Estes and Little Miss Brewing stickers on my back window.

Back