Music Break: Post Your Favorite 70s Songs...

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Lemmy wasn't around for Blacksword. He was too crazy for Hawkwind !?! :haironfire:

True on both counts. He was, however, on "Warrior On The Edge of Time"

That's him playing the bass at the beginning of "Assault and Battery/Golden Void."

Almost forgot the quintessential Lemmy tune by Hawkwind!

Guess I was just a top-40s guy. In that tiny town in PartsUnknown, PA, we got a half-dozen radio stations, half of which were country (I refuse to dignify the term as "country music", because apart from a very few artists, it can be classified as music only by definition. :questions:;)) I've never heard of three-fourths of these groups or songs. To my loss, no doubt. :(

Guess I was just a top-40s guy. In that tiny town in PartsUnknown, PA, we got a half-dozen radio stations, half of which were country (I refuse to dignify the term as "country music", because apart from a very few artists, it can be classified as music only by definition. :questions:;)) I've never heard of three-fourths of these groups or songs. To my loss, no doubt. :(
Yes but… you’re the prfesser ! You’ve forgotten more about apcp than I’ll know.

Last edited:
Paul McCartney and Wings - Jet

Just heard that song this week again, and can't get it out of my head because of the story behind it.
It was a song about losing John Lennon to Yoko Ono, and him just drifting away from the Beatles. Jet = John

(from songmeanings.com)
Jet I can almost remember their funny faces
That time you told them you were going to marrying soon
And Jet I thought the only lonely place was the moon

[How it freaked EVERYONE out that John was with Yoko, and going to marry her soon. Paul never knew real loneliness until John left him/the Beatles]

Jet was your father as bold as the sergeant major
How come he told you that you were hardly old enough yet
And Jet I thought the major was a lady suffragette

[John's dad was a merchant seaman - but he was nowhere near as bold as a sergeant major... & in this song the Major is a "lady suffragette - i.e. a feminist, a liberated woman - Yoko]

Ah Mater want Jet to always love me
Ah Mater want Jet to always love me
Ah Mater, much later

[Both John and Paul lost their mothers (maters)... they bonded on that in their early days, and Paul wanted John to love him always - but now it's later]

Jet with the wind in your hair
Of a thousand laces
Climb on the back and we'll go for a ride in the sky

[if the Beatles got back together/if we performed together again/if you loved me again, we would be free, and it would be beautiful]

I can't believe someone mentioned the Strawbs!!! The other day I somehow got Lemon Pie into my brain from Ghosts album Strawbs and went to my cassettes (Yes cassettes ) to look for it and could not find it. My brother burned a copy for me when I was in college ok you can't do that on a cassette but anyway sent me a cassette with Ghosts and Hero and Heroine and I was hooked. So I went to the source and borrowed my brothers albums....Yes Albums... real music sound not the tin box of a cd. It's a small world after all,who would have thunk it Strawbs!

Probably the weirdest song/group combos I can think of... Seriously the makeup and leather of KISS and the gentle tune of the actual song. I think my grandmother would have liked this song too.

American Pie by Don Mclean. We sang it as a family, driving our Chevy, but not to the Levie. The three men we admired the most were The Father, Son, and the Holy Ghost. Those are great childhood memories of the whole 5 family members singing together. Mom, my SIster, and Brother are all gone, but the memories and their wonderful influence on me live on.

Back