MMX newb needs some advice

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

J Blatz

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
I've built a lot of rockets but am new to MMX. Man...these things are so tiny.

I recently got some reading glasses, so I can probably see ok, but how does one attach the fins, etc on something this small?? Any advice on jigs, tools, etc? Cheap and homemade would be good. Not sure how much $ I want to spend on models that may end up being very difficult for me to build.

Thanks y'all.

I've built a lot of rockets but am new to MMX. Man...these things are so tiny.

I recently got some reading glasses, so I can probably see ok, but how does one attach the fins, etc on something this small?? Any advice on jigs, tools, etc? Cheap and homemade would be good. Not sure how much $ I want to spend on models that may end up being very difficult for me to build.

Thanks y'all.
I've only built one. Tweezers, gentle hands and light on the glue

The only thing I use on Micro Maxx that I don't use much on full size rockets is tweezers.

I just eyeball fin placement and haven't bothered with jigs, but there is no reason you couldn't cut a tiny jig out of a piece of cardstock or some such.

Most kits have a fin marking guide that you cut out from the instructions.
Some have a tiny plastic angle tool.
You would use these the same way as any low power kit.
(Keep the angle tool for future builds).
For perpendicularity I saw a suggestion years ago of gluing a toothpick down the center on the end of a spent motor casing. Put the motor in the motor mount and line up the center of the protruding toothpick to the fin line and glue the fin using line of sight. (Don't remember whose suggestion this was. If it was a forum user then please chime in).
For a quick grab I use thick CA the length of the root chord instead of wood glue. Even on paper and balsa kits. But only on MX.
I received a couple of three and four fin 3D printed fin jigs for MicroMaxx as freebies some time ago.
I THINK it was from Rocketship Games but not sure.
Don't see them listed on the website.

1202231142[1].jpg
Cheers.

Episode 15 Microscope GIF by SpongeBob SquarePants

Use a toothpick or bbq skewer to apply small amounts of glue, don’t try it straight from the bottle.

Sounds like you have a kit already. Which one did you select?

With a model so prone to ground damage, I didn’t find it worth it to go all-out on the detailing. If I were to build another one of these I’d just put up with the fin alignment being somewhat messy and the finish being ugly, and save any attempts at precision work for the internals.

In any case, tweezers should work fine. If you really need the rocket held steady, gently placing it in a bench vise should work.

Go with a finless rocket, make a conical nozzle stabilizer. Like a mini saucer at the bottom.

Anything by the late, and insanely talented @micromiester in the Micromax forum is going to detail MMX to full scale build level.

Buy the RocketShip Games MMX launcher. Best one out there. Makes it simple to launch MMX rockets. If they ever sell more MMX rocket kits, their kits are fun builds as well.
RocketShip Games seems to be a little less expensive than other dealers on MMX motors. Recently got some for $9 when everyone else is at $12/6 pack.
Ollie-oop Rocketry has some nice MMX and 13mm downscales. Love the BT-50 based Phoenix downscale as well. Toby has some other items, such as a MMX motor adapter for BT-5 tubes, and a 2-motor MMX cluster for BT-20 tubes. Also sells basswood fins and centering rings for the BT-5 Der Red Max kit.
FliKits and Semroc also have nice MMX kits. Love the MX Cherokee kit. eRockets has the best collection of parts (tubes, lugs, centering rings, nosecones etc.) if you want to build your own MMX rockets.

Lately, I’ve started taking a kit and reducing the decals and fin patterns so I can make downscale versions for MMX. Did Citation Patriot series (BT-2, BT-3, BT-5, BT-20, BT-60), Centuri Hornet. Now starting on a set of Estes EAC Vipers (BT-5 MMX, BT-20 13mm, BT-50 18mm). I want to make scaled series of kits, so I have one rocket each for MMX, 13mm, 18mm and maybe 24mm as well. Use Krylon Crystal clear to seal your inkjet decal sheets. I put all my different decal sets (e.g. BT-50, BT-20, BT-5, BT-3) on a single sheet, print and seal them. Downscaling kits you already have opens a whole new door for MMX builds. They are addictive. I started building MMX last October and I have 16 kits completed, with 2 under construction right now. You can build and finish a kit in a weekend.

As for tools, I have a small set of always closed (squeeze to open) set of tweezers I use on my MMX kits. Also bougt a set of Tamiya Decal tweezers at eRockets. Pricey, but they are nice for handling tiny decals. Also get a set of the small, super sharp point scissors for fine cuts.

ASP kits include a small plastic angle for marking straight lines on tubes. I don’t like them as they are easy to flex under pressure. You can purchase brass angles at K&S Supplies, Amazon, or local hobby stores with a K&S display. I got 1/8” and 1/4” angles, 12 inches long to go with my 1/2” aluminum one for larger kits.

Latest posts

Back