Odd question, looking for help

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Morbidlynx

Reaction score
Hello forum,

I just arrived here seeking advice and guidance. My father passed away recently and was predeceased by my mother and two small pets. They have been cremated. I have a particular place they wish to scatter the remains in Harper's Ferry, WV and i intend to spread them all together so they can stay "together". I'm sure both of them would appreciate that. Is there a "rocketeer" that could provide this service? It's obviously beyond my abilities as a "tiny" rocket enthusiast. As it requires a ton of launches per person without a license for larger engines. I don't want anything "orbital" I just want at least 500ft, more if you can. The rocket would have to probably be sacrificed with a sabot in place of the chute. I haven't weighed them because....you know but the estimate is at least 10 pounds not to exceed 15#-20#, probably less.

Is there a reasonable way to make this work? Is there anybody i can contact? I have some cash to offer but currently the estate and everything else takes most of what I have. I think it would a beautiful last send off for my parents and especially my dad who I spent many hours building rockets and launching them.

If I were you I’d look for a Tripoli prefecture in the area and see if you can get in contact with a Level 2 certified high-power member.

Map

A launch of this magnitude requires an FAA waiver, since the rocket would most certainly exceed 1500 grams (3.3 pounds) at liftoff. You would also need sufficient space, I believe it’s a minimum site dimension of 1500 ft or half of the rocket’s expected altitude, (whichever is greater). Open to corrections if that’s wrong.

I believe Tripoli’s Unified Safety Code specifies that the rocket must be designed for safe recovery. “Fire and forget” isn’t really safe at this scale. But with the regulatory requirements met and landowner approval granted, a safe flight with this payload should be plenty feasible. Years ago AeroTech put out extremely high-thrust motors in the H and I range for lofting bowling balls in competition, and motors with even more obscene thrust ratings exist in the J and K range.

One of the guys in my Pistol League recently passed away, and his son loaded up 50 rounds of .45 ACP with a small amount of his ashes, and we fired them at the various ranges we shoot at.

I guess what I'm hinting at is that you could scatter the ashes in some memorable place and perhaps only put a smaller amount in a rocket.

Thank you both for your time and insight. I really do appreciate your input and thoughts. I'm currently looking up the tripoli prefectures nearby. Obviously I understand I would need to contact the park as well.

A few years ago the dog of one of our club members died and he had her cremated. She was a lab, so there was a fair amount of ashes. We launched some of her ashes at one of our club launches. He didn't launch all of them as there was too much for one rocket. It was a very nice gesture.

I did this with my Aunt. Very easy to do. I used an open ended can tied to the shock cord. Normal deployment with chute and all. Open end of can goes up, and inside the tube. NC will pull lit out and spread ashes.

I did this with my Aunt. Very easy to do. I used an open ended can tied to the shock cord. Normal deployment with chute and all. Open end of can goes up, and inside the tube. NC will pull lit out and spread ashes.

I guess you could simply just get an extra chute blanket or bag and put the contents in it, or you could rig an altimeter with a deployment charge that blows a bag of ashes apart, with gusto, at your chosen altitude.

I have a particular place they wish to scatter the remains in Harper's Ferry, WV and i intend to spread them all together so they can stay "together”

Location is a significant issue, especially if you’re needing an FAA waiver/COA.

The FAA Certificate of Authorization is for a specific location. These take weeks to process, and there’s no guarantee it will be approved. You’ll also need landowner permission, etc.

Back