• This community needs YOUR help today!

With the ever-increasing fees of maintaining our vibrant community (servers, software, domains, email), we need help.
    We need more Supporting Members today.

Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of multi-channel sound.

Why Join?

• Exclusive Access: Gain entry to private forums.
    • Special Perks: Enjoy enhanced account features that enrich your experience, including the ability to disable ads.
    • Free Gifts: Sign up annually and receive exclusive The Rocketry Forum decals directly to your door!

This is your chance to make a difference. Become a Supporting Member today:

Upgrade Now

Missleworks RRC2 question - beeping altitude at power up

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nick@JET

Reaction score
I flew a DD rocket with an RRC3 for primary and RRC2 as backup.
When I powered up the RRC3 - no issue - after the power up sequence - Atl beeped the 3 beeps. When I powered up the RRC2 however the alt
Beeped an altitude - not the repeating 3 beeps. Anyone had this issue before?

My main came out at apogee not the drogue. Currently I don't have the rocket but hope to retrieve soon so that is all the information I have. But I think the RRC2 backup had something to do with poping the main. Both drogue and main were shear pinned and charges were extensively tested. I am speculating at this point. But still wondering why it did not do the 3 continuity beeps and I know there was continuity in both drogue and main backups - tested the charges at 1.1 ohms on both primary and back ups

Thanks for your input

Have you flown the RRC2 before? Was it beeping out a previous altitude, or something completely different?

After a single beep, it gives the last altitude. It then does battery voltage. Then it does the continuity checks.

Last edited:
It starts with the last altitude. It then does battery voltage. Then it does the continuity checks.

The reason why I asked my question is that I've had an RRC2 think there was a launch when I was testing it on my bench (no charges attached). It would beep out a previous altitude, but it would be something like 42 feet. This can be a little confusing if you don't realize what it was doing.

Yes I've flown both in same rocket 1 time before and both functioned properly. The RRC3 powered up much quicker and went to 3 beeps. Didn't know that it beeped the last altitude , the RRC2 kept beeping the altitude and didn't go into the 3 beeps for at least the time I was at the pad.

Maybe there is no issue, just remember going to ready mode much quicker. Powered it up a couple times before taking it to the pad and it went to 3 beeps after the normal power up.

The RRC2's that I have used take a long time to beep continuity.

Which RRC2? There was the rev a, b,c, d. There was a RRC2 mini I think, and now the RRC2+

The reason why I asked my question is that I've had an RRC2 think there was a launch when I was testing it on my bench (no charges attached). It would beep out a previous altitude, but it would be something like 42 feet. This can be a little confusing if you don't realize what it was doing.

If you were using a LiPo battery it would make sense....beeping out voltage of 4.2 If not ...oh well.LOL

Didn't know that it beeped the last altitude , the RRC2 kept beeping the altitude and didn't go into the 3 beeps for at least the time I was at the pad.

Possibility it was beeping error codes, THAT will keep repeating. If there is no continuity [3 beeps for both apogee & main]....DON'T fly it!

Also the is a power "saver" feature many don't realize [that don't read the manual..LOL] after powering up at pad, after five minutes, it stops beeping continuity & only beeps once [1] every 15 seconds , till launch.
5 minutes goes by faster than you think, by the time both altimeters are armed. igniter hooked up, pics taken,helping another flier, or just the usual pad bs.. 5 minutes has come & gone!

From manual:
Reading the Beeps/Blinks
When you first power up the RRC2+, it will beep for 1 second. After a short pause, the RRC2+ will beep the last altitude
flown on its previous flight. Next the altimeter will beep battery voltage (volts, then 1/10th volts). The RRC2+ then goes
through the POST (Power On Self Test). If a fault is detected during the POST, the RRC2+ will beep out a fault code (see
the POST Mode Section), otherwise it beeps continuity readiness pre-launch and after landing will beep out the altitude.
On the pad, with your ejection charges connected to the drogue and main terminals you will have the following beeps/blinks
for continuity (everything is hooked up correct and GO for flight) every 5 seconds:
Drogue only 1 beep repeating every 5 seconds
Main only 2 beeps repeating every 5 seconds
Drogue and Main 3 beeps repeating every 5 seconds (for Dual Deploy)
No charges 1 Long beep (ride along only, and nothing hooked up)
.................................................................................................................................................................................

After 5 minutes of beeping continuity, the RRC2+ will switch into power saving mode, conserving your battery for
flight operations. You will hear 1 short beep every 15 seconds during power saving mode as it waits for launch.

..................................................................................................................................................................................

I'm just as guilty about reading manual's...usually waiting to do so when I have an issue. Reading first will alleviate that.....yeah I knowLOL

Error code are hard to hear with the usual noise at pads, the low tone buzz is easily missed;

POST Mode Fault Codes
Codes are preceded by a very distinct warning tone (7 very quick low beeps), followed by the beeping/flashing of the fault.
DO NOT FLY THE RRC2+ until the fault or warning is resolved and corrected.
Code Fault
1 Ambient Barometric Fault / Unstable conditions during Launch Commit Test
2 Barometric sensor Fault / No communication reply
3 Barometric sensor Fault / Prom CRC Mismatch
4 Barometric pressure Fault / Pressure < 10 mbar or > 1200 mbar
5 Temperature Fault / Temperature < -40 deg. C or > 85 deg. C
6 I/O Line Fault

Last edited:
Back