issue with rrc2+.

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ROCKETDAWG

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
issue with rrc2+.
pressure testing and unit seems to function it as should. voltage beeps out 9.4v , then I get 3 beeps for main and drogue continuity good. I pull vacuum, but drogue does not fire at apogee+1, but main fires as it should as pressure being released. any suggestions.
thank you

issue with rrc2+.
pressure testing and unit seems to function it as should. voltage beeps out 9.4v , then I get 3 beeps for main and drogue continuity good. I pull vacuum, but drogue does not fire at apogee+1, but main fires as it should as pressure being released. any suggestions.
thank you
Post a pic of the dip switch switch settings please.

How do you know for certain that the drogue is not firing "on time" based on dip switch setting please?

What is your test setup and procedure? Vacuum testing altimeters can be misleading if not done carefully.
What battery have you been using? The outputs on the RRC2 are rated at 3A and 9V alkaline batteries are recommended. You probably should include current limiting resistors if using LiPos.

A useful way of testing the outputs is to connect 12V torch bulbs and check whether the output can illuminate the bulbs, rather than wasting ematches. These are also good for testing the continuity function. Alternatively, you can use LEDs with series resistors to test the outputs, but not a recommended way for testing continuity in this case.

Last edited:
Have you load tested your battery?

Sometimes a worn-out battery can read full voltage, but when a load is applied, the voltage drops a lot.

I read it as when you shut off the vacuum... drogue charge doesn't fire.... but main fires as the pressure drops. I would swap out the e-match that isnt firing. See if it works then. I have had plenty of the china ematches (that i only use for testing and lighting BP motors), not work. Hopefully if it was a bad ematch, it wasn't a full dead short that then could have comprised the board - though I doubt that is unlikely on a 9v battery.

Contact Missile Works. It's been a few years but I have a RRc2 classic that wasn't firing the charges, sent it in and they repaired it for free. It was several years old out of warranty but they fixed it, some part went out that should not have.

From MW: All avionics products come with a one year warranty from date of purchase. This warranty is to the original purchaser and is non-transferable. Please email prior to sending in a product for warranty service. We will return your product post paid via 1st class mail. Repair services are available for all avionics products out of warranty. Please email up front to arrange for initial triage evaluations.

I had an rrc+ that did exactly the same thing—did not fire drogue, but fired the main. Trashed a rocket, rebuilt it only to trash it again.
better to contact Missile works than trash a rocket.

so altimeter isn't working, but main match ignites with pressure drop?
That’s a common symptom when one of the outputs gets fried by a short that allows too much current through the output and destroys its ability to function properly. It can happen to just one of the outputs.

There is a lot of good trouble shooting advice in this thread, like trying a different battery and new e-matches. If you get the same result multiple times, the bad output is the most likely cause. At that point you’ll need to contact the manufacturer – it may be possible to replace the chip controlling that output.

Good luck,

Tony

Back